DNS address could not be found
Posted by: Distinguished (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 03, 2016 01:16AM

I am getting the following error message when trying to connect to my site:

This site can't be reached
MYSITE's server DNS address could not be found.
ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

I went through the "READ BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION" and "WAMPServer 3 All you need to know" threads and installed all the things they said necessary prior to installing WAMP.

The only thing I tried to do to fix it was to change my ports to 8000. After doing that, however, I got the following error message on the localhost:8000 page:

***ERROR*** The PHP configuration loaded file is: - should be c:/wamp/bin/apache/apache2.4.18/bin/php.ini or c:/wamp/bin/php/php5.6.19/phpforapache.ini

I have apache version 2.4.18.

I have php version 5.6.19. That has a green check mark. It also says: 7.0.4 without a check mark (whatever that means).

I have WAMP 3.0.4. I have the 32 bit on a Windows 10.

I have MySQL 5.7.11.

I also installed all of the C programs one by one as directed before installing WAMP.

Thank you for your assistance in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2016 01:17AM by Distinguished.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DNS address could not be found
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2016 10:10AM

Hi,

> The only thing I tried to do to fix it was to change my ports to 8000.
Why ?
How ?

> ***ERROR*** The PHP configuration loaded file is: - should be c:/wamp/bin/...
- Right-Click Wampmanager tray icon -> Refresh

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: Distinguished (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 03, 2016 07:05PM

> ***ERROR*** The PHP configuration loaded file is: - should be c:/wamp/bin/...
- Right-Click Wampmanager tray icon -> Refresh

Refreshing did correct this. Thanks.

Because I am getting the error: This site can't be reached. MySite's server DNS address could not be found. ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED.

I thought this might be able to fix the error.

The site does not even have code. It is just text that says: Hello. Everything is working fine! And it is saved as index.html.

But when I click my site folder from the local host page, I get that error I mentioned.

_________________________________________________________________________________

> The only thing I tried to do to fix it was to change my ports to 8000.
How ?

I'll explain how I changed my ports, but I was getting this error before I tried to change the ports so changing the ports is not what caused this error. I am still getting this error after refreshing.

In the wamp -> bin -> apache -> apache2.4.18 folder-> conf folder, in the httpd file, using Notepad++, on line 62, I changed Listen 0.0.0.0:80 to Listen 0.0.0.0:8000. And on line 63, I changed Listen [::0]:80 to Listen [::0]:8000.

On line 226, I changed ServerName localhost:80 to ServerName localhost:8000.

In the wamp folder, in the wampmanager.ini file, I searched for the instances of [localhost]... and replaced with [localhost]...

In the wampmanager.tpl file I did the same search and replace all as above.

So I am still not able to get to my site, which gives me the This site can't be reached - error. This was before and after trying to change the port number. Hopefully you can guide me to the solution. I appreciate all of your help. Thanks!

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2016 08:30PM

Hi,

> This site can't be reached. MySite's server DNS address could not be found. ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED.
This is not because a site can not be accessed that's necessarily a port 80 problem!
We must not forget that port 80 is the one that is assigned to the HTTP protocol. And when, on the Internet, you can not access a website, you do not say: This is port 80!

Wampserver 3.0.4 has integrated tools that can be launched by: Right-click on the icon Wampmanager then Tools, then:
- Test Port 80
This will tell you what protocol uses port 80, and as you saw it was Wampserver Apache, there was no reason to change port.
Even if you had to change port, here too there is a tool which automatically does it and EVERYWHERE it is needed:
- Use a port other than 80

Your site not found problem is that you want to run your site through the items in the Projects list, and this is not how it should be done. This list shows only the folders you put in wamp/www/ and is in no way intended to "launch" the local sites.

> In the wamp folder, in the wampmanager.ini file, I searched for
It is useless to modify the file "wampmanager.ini" - except to break Wampserver. This file is completely rewritten when launching Wampserver; by Refresh; by change PHP, Apache or MySQL version ; by change settings or PHP extensions; etc.

To successfully launch a local site, use the VirtualHost (See: The need for Virtual Host) and here too there is a tool to create or add a VirtualHost, via the Wampserver home page and : Tools -> Add a VirtualHost ; all explanations are here : [forum.wampserver.com]

My conclusion is: When we have problems, it is best to go for advice at the source, not to make (almost) anything without knowing the implications.

That's all for tonight (At home in France); It's time to switch off the PC.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.