getting new php and apache to work together
Posted by: hoodleehoo (---.ok.ok.cox.net)
Date: February 25, 2017 12:56AM

Windows 10
wamp 2.4

Okay, be gentle, I'm new at this. I read the troubleshooting, but am not sure I follow, or know how I should proceed given the steps I've already taken.

I'm trying to update the php version, but it said my version of apache wasn't compatible so I updated it. Now both latest versions are installed, but neither will switch over because they need to both switch over at the same time, otherwise the one trying to switch will give an error because it is not compatible with the other.

I used these guides to do the update:

[forum.wampserver.com]

[john-dugan.com]

Did I mess myself up here? How would you recommend I proceed? Which would be the easiest and safest?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: getting new php and apache to work together
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: February 25, 2017 09:34AM

Hi,

> they need to both switch over at the same time
NO.

Please READ (and answer) BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION

To add a version of PHP or Apache, no need for a procedure, and especially not the one of "john-dugan" which concerns a totally obsolete version of wampserver and which also contains errors.

Simply download the desired versions from http://wampserver.aviatechno.net and install them as an administrator.
But, this can only be done on a Wampserver 3, not on obsolete old versions.

You may upgrade your 2.5 Wampserver to 3.0.3, then to 3.0.8

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2017 12:07PM by Otomatic.

Date: February 25, 2017 08:05PM

I have a 2.4 and not 2.5. Is that a problem?

BTW, I did read that link before posting. Not sure what you were wanting me to read on it.

Date: February 25, 2017 09:02PM

I tried to upgrade to 2.5 from 2.4 using this tutorial [stackoverflow.com]

I did everything suggested, but the localhost webpages won't open. ("You don't have permission to access /admin/test.php on this server."winking smiley

The W icon is green, but when the mouse hovers over it the text says it is offline. ??

UPDATE:

I tried going ahead and updating it to 3.03 hoping that would fix this problem. But now WAMP won't start, the W stays red and it won't let me switch any of the A, M, P to the newer versions. This is the error message I get:

"Could not execute menu item (internal error) [exception] could not perform built-in action: No service has been opened yet!"

I tested port 80 and it says it is not actually being used. I'm not using skype or anything either.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 01:40AM by hoodleehoo.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: February 26, 2017 09:47AM

Hi,

You did anything, without waiting to be told here what to do.
For example, you have a tutorial: Install a new release of Wampserver

How can we now solve your problems?

You should restore the backup that you did not fail to make before making any changes.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.