WAMP on a local host
Posted by: WAMP_Meck (199.59.214.---)
Date: February 22, 2017 08:27PM

WAMP = 3.0.6 64 bit
Apache = 2.4.23
OS = WIN 7

I am trying to access WAMP over a local network. When I type my IP address from another computer I get the WAMPSERVER home page. However, when I try to access a virtualHost from this same computer I get the 404 error: "Not found".

I think my httpd.conf and httpd-vhost.conf are set properly based on another, similar post.

Windows firewall is off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAMP on a local host
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2017 09:07PM

You have to tell the other PC's how to find your virtual hosts domain. So you need to either run a local DNS server, or more simply edit the HOSTS file on each PC you want to be able to connect to the Virtual Hosts domain name.

Edit host file on other PC, and assuming your WAMPServer is on ip address 192.168.1.100

192.168.1.100  domainname.dev

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2017 09:08PM by RiggsFolly.

Date: February 23, 2017 04:43PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

The Hosts file option worked great!!

How much more would I need to do to change my WAMP server to a local DNS server?

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2017 06:24PM

No you woould have to install a DNS Server and then poiint all you devices to it so they check there before checking on the web.

Its a NON Trivial things to attempt, so if you dont know what you are doing I suggest you dont bother or at least start be reading up on DNS Servers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: February 23, 2017 06:51PM

Thanks.

I think I'll just edit the host files on local computers.

Thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.