Why is wamp306 using MyISAM as default and how to change it?
Posted by: bg17aw (89.136.75.---)
Date: February 06, 2017 09:12PM

I am using WAMP 3.0.6 with MySQL 5.7.14 (32bit)

From what I understand, InnoDB has been the default storage engine since MySQL 5.5.5 and MyISAM is now legacy.

Why is MyISAM used as default? My instalation reports: "MyISAM is the default storage engine on this MySQL server." (go to phpmyadmin/Engines and click on InnoDB/MyISAM)

How is this possible? I also get some tables created as "utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci" which is not supported on live server with mysql 5.5.54.

Can someone explain why this is happening and maybe a solution? Can someone else confirm this on their instalation?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why is wamp306 using MyISAM as default and how to change it?
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2017 10:13PM

Hi,

The fact that MyISAM is the default engine does not prevent the use of InnoDB or even the creation of InnoDB tables.
If your tables are created with the charset "utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci", it is only because the creation request is badly written and does not specify the character set and collation to use.

Your problems are in no way attributable to Wampserver.
Create your tables correctly, with the right settings.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: February 07, 2017 01:17AM

Dear Otomatic, please read carefully, since 5.7, the default engine should be InnoDB, yet WAMP ships with my.ini set to default to MyISAM. This is definetely a WAMP issue.

The collation problem is not because "I didn't create my tables correctly" as you assume for god knows what reason. This is about a Wordpress instalation, and wordpress let's the system decide the collation to the default.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2017 09:04AM

Hi

Maybe some background will help.

We were spending an inordinante amount of time on questions about INNODB database corruption.

This we believed was due to people using INNODB databases and not understanding that these tables are more complex. They were just closing windows and killing jobs on shutdown before MYSQL had a chance to cleanly shutdown all its databases and of course never taking a backup of databases that once corrupted were suddenly the most important thing in there lives.

So we decided to make the default database engine MYISAM as this is less likely to happen with these tables.

Remember, WAMPServer is used by people with all sorts of actual knowledge on Apache/MYSQL/PHP from zero to hero. Most start using it without any reference to a manual or tutorial.

Also remember that once installed, it is completely up to you how you configure you Apache / MYSQL / PHP MariaDB. Its a learning tool afterall.

If you want to amend the default configuration, please feel free to do so. Make a little list of things you should remember to do when you install a newer (or older) version of any of the underlying technologies.

As to your issue with the collation used by Wordpress `utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci` this appears to be the collation WP's developers have decided to use.

See [wordpress.stackexchange.com]

and [wpml.org]

The above incident reports all seem to be issues where a WP site has been developed using a newer version of MYSQL that DOES support this collation [5.6 or >] and then attempting to move a WP database to another server where its MYSQL DOES NOT support this collation [<5.6].

The WP install checks that the MYSQL version in use when installing supports this prefered collation and of course then it will use it.

We (Oto) has made NUMEROUS versions of MYSQL available as ADDONS to WAMPServer 3. We do this so that you can configure a DEVELOPMENT environment that matches your LIVE enviroment as closely as possible. Can I suggest that you Download/Install/AND USE a version of MYSQL that is compatibale with your intended LIVE environment. See my signature for a link to WAMPServer alternate Repo

Wordpress will then NOT USE the collation that is not available on your LIVE server because it will not be available on your DEVELOPMENT server.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: February 07, 2017 10:03AM

Thanks for clarifying.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2017 10:38AM

Hi,

Thanks RiggsFolly, it's still easier to explain when English is his mother language winking smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.