Handling heavy user load with one wamp server
Posted by: adkaros (---.static.mtpk.ca.charter.com)
Date: February 05, 2017 11:51PM

Hi guys-

I am using WAMP on an Asus laptop running Windows 8.1 that needs to handle a decently heavy load of users through a local network, for about 8 hours. The setup includes 11 other computers that will be hitting this server for running php scripts, such as Reading entries from a database, creating them, and updating them.

One of the apps has the potential to do 3 read entries at once as it can have 3 people on it at once. We have tested this will real users and it works for a little bit but after a while, it starts taking a while to hit the local server to check the database. It is fast again after restarting wamp ("Restart All Services" ), or even just left clicking wamp icon and doing "Apache->Test post used 8080", it's almost as if the server has stalled. Even teamviewer shows the yellow status, where it can't be connected to.... but doing the port check or wamp restart automaticaly remedies this.

The apache error log shows that the "AH00326: Server ran out of threads to serve requests. Consider raising the ThreadsPerChild setting" I raised this to 1000, it seemed to help, but I still run into the same issue eventually, So I'm not sure this is the root of the problem or not. I then raised it to 10000 and it gave me an error that the threadlimit is 1920.. Do I cahnge this mpm-conf and is it advised?

What is happening in wamp restart that allows everything to run smooth again? Can I simulate this through a script of such, also while not having the server go down? I need this server to have 0 downtime or at least minimize that as much as possible.

Also, in my php scripts I added a session_write_close() at the end of them... except for the create user scripts, I cannot tell if this helped or exactly what it does, do you think this is the culprit?

Here is the apache error log - [drive.google.com]

Any advice on how to resolve this is greatly appreciated, thank you.

EDIT- to be clear, it's not a super heavy load of users... to give an estimate for a 2-day run, we got a max of almost 500 users. It is also not a website or anything, just a server for hitting php scripts and writing reading from a database.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2017 11:56PM by adkaros.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Handling heavy user load with one wamp server
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2017 09:31AM

Hi,

Windows 8.1 is not a Windows Server ! Number of users is limited by design.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: adkaros (---.static.mtpk.ca.charter.com)
Date: February 06, 2017 04:21PM

Thanks for the reply Otomatic, could you elaborate on this? Wamp does not work as designed on windows 8.1? I read some other question and someone suggested installing a windows service pack with the neccassary apis.

Would upgrading to windows 10 remedy this? I have done wamp on windows 10 before without problems, but that was with just one user.

Again, thanks so much for the reply

Date: February 06, 2017 05:07PM

Hi,

Open a command windows and type : net config server and check for "Maximum Logged On users" number. That is max. inbound connections.
Do not forget that each "trick" connected (network PC's, NAS, etc.) already counts for a connection.
This does not depend on the version of Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 32 or 64 bit.
It is only for a "Windows Server" that the number is unlimited.

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: adkaros (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 06, 2017 05:17PM

So then what you are saying is that wamp can't handle more than that? What would be a good alternative to wamp? Is there any specific server software similar to wamp that would serve as a good alternative?

Thanks

Date: February 06, 2017 05:27PM

Could I use LAMP on Linux? Would this get rid of that limitation?

Date: February 06, 2017 06:00PM

What's the cheapest version of windows server os I can purchase as well? Sorry for all the questions

Date: February 06, 2017 06:27PM

Hi,

The limit IS Windows, not Apache, so not Wampserver.
Most Web servers run on Linux.

Windows Server is not what is called "cheap".
In addition, licenses depend on the number of connections and other criteria.
[www.microsoft.com]

The best would be a Linux server.

All this is not in the prerogatives of this forum.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.