Virtual Host creating/correction
Posted by: Jean49 (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2017 08:44AM

Windows 10
Wampserver 3.0.6 64 bit x64
- Apache 2.4.23
- PHP 5.6.25/7.0.10
- MySQL 5.7.14
- PhpMyAdmin 4.6.4
- Adminer 4.2.5
- PhpSysInfo 3.2.5
Wampserver update 3.0.8

I have files from an old site that I would like to resurrect to obtain some information. I installed WAMP and have it running with the green icon, thanks to your excellent instruction which I read very carefully. I did create a virtual host using your February 17, 2016 instruction [forum.wampserver.com] . However, I did not correctly name it.

I created a folder c:/custombanner and added a subfolder c:/custombanner/custombanner.com (with no files in it yet). I wanted the old scripts to be able to work for which I think I need "custombanner.com". The virtual host I created is "[custombanner"];.

I see "Your Virtual Host" on the lower right of the home page.
Could you please tell me: 1) how I should have set up the "c:/" folder; and 2) how I can delete the incorrect virtual host?

I apologize for having to ask such basic information but I am very new at all of this. Thank you for all of your very helpful forum instruction postings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Virtual Host creating/correction
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2017 11:16AM

Hi

Ok can you post your Virtual Host definition file. You can find this in

\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.4.23\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: January 15, 2017 12:59PM

This is what is in that file now * BUT * I removed and reinstalled WAMPserver 64 after playing around a bit to see if I could figure it out on my own. (I couldn't.)
# Virtual Hosts
#

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName localhost
DocumentRoot c:/wamp64/www
<Directory "c:/wamp64/www/">
Options +Indexes +Includes +FollowSymLinks +MultiViews
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>
#

I have a green-lighted fresh, updated install but I still do not know what I did wrong. I would greatly appreciate you help so I get it right this time. Clearly I do not grasp your instruction, as easy as you make it, because of my shallow understanding of terminology and function.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2017 01:21PM

Ok, in WAMPServer 3.0.6 it has been ade very easy!

1. Create the folder on disk that you want to hold your site

- I suggest C:\websites\custombanner\www

2. load localhost in your browser wampserver -> localhost

3. Click "Add a VirtualHost" located under the "TOOLS" menu

4. Follow the instructions carefully and it will create all the information required for a localhost definition for your site

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: January 15, 2017 01:57PM

Thank you so much! With that explanation I will now get a few hours of sound sleep and start again, reading carefully. I have read stickys and posts going back a couple of years and you have developed a nearly fool-proof way of adding Virtual Hosts, me being one of the fools who who could not quite get it right.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.