WAMP to Test Scripts?
Posted by: badboy (---.cable.ubr06.haye.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: February 15, 2006 10:44PM

I want to use WAMP to test script that I make in PHP without having to upload to a webhost and then look and change so I can do it easily however is there a way so WAMP dose not connect to the internet so no one will know i have a server.

Also is there a way to only have it start when I want? So it dose not Always Suck system resources and only use it when I need it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAMP to Test Scripts?
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 12:09AM

If you want to start it when you want, make sure when you are installing WAMP, when it asks, do not check the checkbox that asks to start wamp as a serivce. Or, if you have WAMP installed aready, go to your services settings and select apahce and change it to manual, hten select mysql, and set that to manual.

you will have to be connected to the internet for WAMP to work.

Date: February 16, 2006 05:30PM

Could I just Use Zone Alarm and not alow it to access internet

Date: February 16, 2006 08:05PM

no, apache needs to be connected to the internet, even if you are just going to use it to test locally (localhost).

Date: February 17, 2006 04:52PM

Hmm Is there some other way to Make it not run on the internet as I cannot turn it off becuase my computer network runs off one router its only got this computer a laptop and my xbox but if i try turning the internet off it will stop my sister from working.

Date: February 17, 2006 09:15PM

do not install apache and mysql as a service when you install WAMP, this way the server will only be running when you start it and stop running when you stop it, instead of alwasy being on.

Date: February 17, 2006 09:29PM

Yeah but what about the internet thing?

Posted by: Scott (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 09:35PM

just install it and dont alow traffic to come in on the router on port 80. thats all you have to do. if you do not have port 80 forworded to that computer your all set. I dont know what these other people are going on about.

Date: February 17, 2006 11:41PM

if you are just connecting to your ISP by modem (dialup, dsl, cable) then 99% chance you are not using a router. If you connect to the internet though other computers, then you probably have a router. apache still needs to be connected to the internet to work.

Date: February 18, 2006 03:25PM

Yes I have a router I figured that out years ago when I had to Buy a Router to network my laptop but is there any other way to stop it connecting to internet or people being able to connect to me I know I can just make a index.html file and make it like a fake error screen ;p but There is still problems if they find out I am.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.