De-Installing WampServer 2.2
Posted by: Nick_WS (---.088.077.pools.vodafone-ip.de)
Date: December 30, 2016 01:18PM

Yesterday I managed to install Wampserver 3.0.6 (in ‘X:\wamp’). Everything works fine. Now I want to get rid of my old WampServer 2.2 installation (in ‘X:\wamp_V2’).

I plan to do it this way:

1) rename ‘X:\wamp’ to ‘X:\wamp_V3’
2) rename ‘X:\wamp_V2’ to ‘X:\wamp’
3) Run the WINDOWS de-installer on WampServer 2.2
4) rename ‘X:\wamp_V3’ back to ‘X:\wamp’

Before doing this, I’d like know whether the de-install process will delete anything OUTSIDE 'X:\wamp' (the old WampServer 2.2 install directory) which may be needed by Wampserver 3.0.6 or other applications.

Please give me your opinion.

Thanks in advance!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2016 01:25PM by Nick_WS.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: De-Installing WampServer 2.2
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: December 30, 2016 02:15PM

Not necessary. The latest install will basically have uninstall the Apache and MYSQL services from the previous install.

If you want to keep anything from the old install just copy what you want to keep from old folder to new folder

i.e.

I want to keep the old Apache - Copy X:\wamp_V2\bin\apache\apachex.y.z to X:\wamp\bin\apache\apachex.y.z

I want to keep the old PHP - Copy X:\wamp_V2\bin\php\phpx.y.z to X:\wamp\bin\php\phpx.y.z

I want to keep the old MYSQL (and all its data) - Copy X:\wamp_V2\bin\mysql\mysqlx.y.z to X:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysqlx.y.z

Then you can if required switch back to the old versions to get things back that you forgot to backup ( like a database )

Once you have done this, you can just delete the X:\wamp_V2 folder manually

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2016 02:15PM by RiggsFolly.

Posted by: Nick_WS (---.088.077.pools.vodafone-ip.de)
Date: December 30, 2016 03:07PM

Thanks for the quick reply and your suggestions above.

I don't need any of the old Apatche, PHP or mySQL Versions or any old databases.

So I could just manually delete the X:\wamp_V2 folder. But, at present time, both - WampServer 2.2 and WampServer 3.0.6 - are listed in the WINDOWS list of installed applications. In order to maintain a consistent status of the WINDOWS installed application list, I want first to properly de-install WampServer 2.2 using the Windows de-install process before manually deleting anything what may be left in the WampServer 2.2 installation folder after running the WINDOWS de-install process of WampServer 2.2.

So I'd like to know in advance whether de-installing WampServer 2.2 using the WINDOWS de-install process will have an impact on Wampserver 3.0.6 or other still installed applications.

i. e.

Has the install process of WampServer 2.2 copied any files to my system OUTSIDE the WampServer 2.2 installation folder, which may be needed by other applications than WampServer 2.2 itself?

Please let me know wether there is a simple and clear answer to my question.

PS:

I just checked X:\wamp_V2\unins000.dat and found this:

2542 occurrences of the string ':\'
2530 occurrences of the string 'X:'
2527 occurrences of the string 'X:\WAMP'
0011occurrences of the string 'C:\' (all regarding links to Windows Desktop or Windows Startmenu)

So to me it seems highly likely that the Wampserver 2.2 installation process didn't copy any files OUTSIDE the Wampserver 2.2 installation folder. Therefore the risk of deleting any files still needed by other applications when uninstalling Wampserver 2.2 by the WINDOWS uninstall process is imho very low.

Do you agree ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2016 04:11PM by Nick_WS.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: December 30, 2016 04:18PM

Hi,

So I'd like to know in advance whether de-installing WampServer 2.2 using the WINDOWS de-install process will have an impact on Wampserver 3.0.6 or other still installed applications.
Maybe. Wampserver 2.2 is old and I can not remember exactly what its uninstallation process is.
To avoid a possible problem, I advise you to temporarily rename the installation folder of wampserver 3.0.6 the time to uninstall Wampserver 2.2 and completely remove its folder.

After the complete uninstall of Wampserver 2.2, you can re-issue the original name of the Wampserver 3.0.6 folder.
The only collateral damage could be the removal of services from wampserver 3.0.6, but this is not at all a problem, they can be recreated by Wampmanager menus, even if the icon is not green.
- Left-Click Wampmanager icon -> Apache -> Service -> Install the service
- same for MySQL
- Left-Click -> Start the services

Has the install process of WampServer 2.2 copied any files to my system OUTSIDE the WampServer 2.2 installation folder, which may be needed by other applications than WampServer 2.2 itself?
No. Only the two services and the uninstall key in the registry.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: Nick_WS (---.188.107.pools.vodafone-ip.de)
Date: January 01, 2017 05:54PM

I just uninstalled WampServer 2.2 as planned (see 1st post of this thread). I only had to delete a few abandoned files manually after completion of the Windows uninstall process. And I had to recreate the Windows desktop link for 'wampmanager.exe' and to re-install and start the Apatche and MySQL Services as already assumed by Otomatic.

So this case is closed for me.

Thank you very much for the support!

W 7 Home Premium (64 Bit) <=> Wampserver 3.0.6 32bit <=> Apache 2.4.23
MySQL 5.7.14 / 5.5.52 <=> PHP 7.0.10 / 5.6.25 / 5.5.38 / 5.4.45 / 5.3.29

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: January 01, 2017 06:28PM

Hi,

> And I had to recreate the Windows desktop link for 'wampmanager.exe'
You need to add one thing to this desktop shortcut:

- Right-Clcik on the shortcut, Properties
- Shortcut tab
- Advanced button
- Check Run as an administrator
- OK, Apply, OK.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.