Browser wants to Download Website instead of opening it
Posted by: 1tonbunny (---.plus.com)
Date: December 13, 2016 12:33AM

I decided to give WAMPserver another go after a couple of years away from it. In that period of time I have been using both MAMP and XAMPP simultaneously though only having one active at a time and I do not run them as a service, starting and stopping them manually.

I downloaded the 32 bit version of 3.06 last week. I checked that all of the VC were installed prior to that. (I also ran the

I am using Windows 10, 64 bit, and on the update channel
WAMPserver: Mysql 5.7.14
PHP 5.5.38
Apache 2.4.23

The icon for WAMP is green
phpMyAdmin loads
Localhost loads

I copied a Joomla site that I was working on in XAMPP across to the WWW directory. (soc-J3_New) Created a new virtual host, (soc-j3-new) using the WAMP tool, checked the host file and found that WAMP had created it. (The original directory was called soc-hacked with a virtual host of soc-hacked.local ) The only difference in Apache 2.4 set up between the two is that in XAMPP for the vhost it is

"AllowOverride All
Require all granted"

whereas for WAMP it's:
"AllowOverride All
Require local"

Now when I click, in WAMP, with WAMP active, on either the virtual host or the project it fires up in the web browser and ask if you want to download. If you put the site in the address bar of any web browser instead of looking locally goes out and searches the web. (I also made a new virtual host; soc-j3new to see whether the two dashes mad a difference but with no affect.)

Note that though I have Skype installed it is inactive and if it was the issue then XAMPP would have had an issue as well. I note that in the troubleshooting it states that you must not have XAMPP installed, but as long as that is not running, the website files are in a separate directory and the database is copied across to WAMP then everything should work. Oh I know that WAMPserver can see the site as Apache had an issue with an item in the .htaccess file that I had to comment out. The only thing showing in the event-viewer was one item for MySql saying that the buffer had not loaded, with nothing in the Apache error or access logs. Nothing showing that the site had been accessed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Browser wants to Download Website instead of opening it
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: December 13, 2016 01:36AM

Hi

Have you checked that you have not copies anything PHP or Apache relates into the windows or windows\stystem32 folders from the XAMPP or MAMP installs.
Primarily any php.ini files or httpd.conf file or my.ini files

Also check that you do not have anything on the windows path relating to XAMPP or MAMP installations. And of course nothing to do with the WAMPServer install.

The web is awash with bad/unnecessary advise to copy bit of this and that into windows folder and to put things on the windows PATH. This will always cause you issues when trying to use WAMPServers multi software feature and of course when you are trying to run all 3 installations on the same system

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.