virtual hosts -- This will seem to be a duplicate question but is a bit difference
Posted by: Bobn (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 10, 2015 07:56AM

My intent - to make a "site" the localhost under WAMP, a task which can be done very easily with Abyss.

You use the Abyss systray Icon to open the Abyss host console page, you select simple to find and understand links on the pages, you get to a directory page and you find the directory you want as localhost, select it, and then "OKAY" your way back to the main page where you are reminded to click the Restart button to restart Abyss and made your change active.

I have been using Abyss for years with excellent results. I have added PHP support so I can work with PHP files and it has handled all of my needs for creating and testing web pages.

I now want to run wordpress on a local test site to work on streamlining what is a very bloated package and to develop themes that are as fast as possible,with very basic layouts - nothing fancy wanted, just a simply blog.

----- Should anyone know of a more efficient blog package that does not try to be everyting to everyone, I would appreciate being pointed in that directory.

When I tried to install mysql for use with Abyss, I kept running into install errors and the support forums for mysql were absolutely useless and I gave up. I think it was a simple error on my part but I could not get anyone to understaned what I was telling them.

So, I decided to try WAMP. Well I have my test site up - almost - and running but I have hit some peculiar issues which I think I understand, as to what is happening, but I'm not happy about it.

The basic issue is. what is the actual localhost - WAMP or my "site"?

It is clear that WAMP is - enter localhost and you get the WAMPSERVER Home Page. The way things work with WAMP, as it comes out of the box, things can get a tad messed up on anything other than a simple web site.

And then there is the fact that clicking a project name on the WAMPSERVER Home Page uses a URL that gets you a Server Not Found response. I have a directory named NOPUBLICFUNDS as a sub directory of WWW and if I click the NOPUBLICFUNDS item on the WAMPSERVER Home Page, the URL used is [nopublicfunds] - presto, server not found.

It does not get me to the "site." None of the project links on the WAMPSERVER Home Page work. Now - don't get me wrong, given what I think I've learned about WAMP in the last hour, I think that even if that problem was fixed, my real issue would remain. But it is very strange to do a sucessful install and then to get errors when you use links on the WAMPSERVER Home Page - that should not be happening.

I searched for and read several questions and answers about the issue of "who is the localhost" and it seems to boil down to needing to create virtual hosts for the sites.

Well, "Okay, I said" and read deeper into the procedures given to create a virtual host. Then it started to nag at me that it seemed that once I had done all the many steps, it might be that only one "site" could be the localhost at one time - sounds reasonable, same thing as with Aybss but as I read on, I became more more riled by what I was reading. I was beginning to think that it was going to be a real pain to switch to other test sites - like many people, I work on more than one site at a time

So - here's my question --

What is the procedure to set things up so that when I entered localhost, the default page (index dot html htm shmtl, php, default, etc) on the site set as localhost is opened?

With Abyss, in perhaps 45 to 60 seconds (could be a lot less if you really went fast) you can set any directory, at any level in the HDD directory structure, as the localhost.

It seems that there is altogether too much needing to be done to do that with WAMP.

So - is there a way short of making a virtual host, making a hosts file, etc. to set a directory to actually be the localhost - not WAMP - and is there a quick way to switch to another "site" as localhost?

BobN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: virtual hosts -- This will seem to be a duplicate question but is a bit difference
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: October 10, 2015 09:54AM

Hi,

Nebulae explanations too long to read.
Your question boils down to: How to Create VirtualHost?
The answer is: The need for Virtual Host

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Re: virtual hosts -- This will seem to be a duplicate question but is a bit difference
Posted by: Bobn (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 11, 2015 03:41AM

No, my question is whether there is an easy, quick, way to switch between "sites" so that everything looks and acts as though it were on a hosting company server.

I already know that I'm not going to mess with virtual hosts and such, too much trouble/work for what I need.

As I said in the original post, I found and read several items about creating virtual hosts and such. I asked whether there was a way to do what I want without messing with virtual hosts - not how to created one.

I will again explore getting MySQL installed and use Abyss (just has a thought, I wonder if I can use the MySQL install that came bundled with WAMP with Abyss???? Hmmm, I will look into that)

As to posting length - Longer is better than too brief which draws replies of "post more details of what you are trying to do" or "we need more information about your configuration", etc.

Those that believe they don't have to read a detail message risk missing the point of the message.

I asked whether or not there was a way without messing with virtual hosts - not how to create one.

Your boiling down process evaporated the core of the posting and let it float out the window as vapor, leaving you with what you thought was the core of the posting.

I apologize for wasting your time, then again, had you actually read the entire post with the intent to fully comprehend the question, I would have to apologize for wasting even more of your time. Sorry.

Is there a way to close this thread; to shut it down as regards posting responses or, even better, just delete it so that no one else wastes time reading it?

I just realized - you are going to find this reply too long, right?

Again, I apologize for trying to give enough detail so that people would not have to ask me for details that I had left out of a shorter post.

I just noticed that you are a moderator - do you have delete authorization? If so, go ahead and delete this thread to guard against it wasting everyone's time reading it. I certainly don't want to be responsible for that sort of time wasting.

Bob

P.S. When I go to answer an arithmetic question before posting, I always think: "What's the number base?"

So -

I was asked to add 25 and 20. In base 10 (decimal), it is 45. In base 16 (hexadecimal) it would also be 45 but if then converted to decimal, the decimal value would be 69

Had the task been to add 98 and 2, the decimal result would be 100, decimal, but in hexadecimal it would be 9A. Hex 15 + 15 would also be a different "value" than the decimal answer of 30, hex would be 2A.

I am assuming the question refers to base 10, but t is not explicitly stated and, after all, the forum is one about a topic in the universe of computing where hexadecimal is used, at least for those doing, dare I say it? - real programming.

No, I probably should not dare to say it.

You are really going to hate the length of this reply!

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: October 11, 2015 04:38PM

Bob,

I doubt that Oto missed anything!

However the SOLUTION TO YOUR REQUIREMENT is to create (n) virtual hosts where (n = number of sites you want to run).
That is why he gave you that answer

It takes 10 minutes to do the first and 3 minutes to add further sites.

I started with Abyss before finding WAMPServer and I would never consider going back.

Edit by Otomatic: It is [ /color], not [ /red] winking smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2015 06:55PM by Otomatic.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: October 12, 2015 05:12PM

Hi,

As RigsFolly wrote, the only solution - there is no other, when using Apache - is to create as many VirtualHost as local sites.
Ten or fifteen minutes maybe we will pass to create the first, but then the understanding of the principle does that the following are created in less than two minutes.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.