query chokes mysql. where else can i look?
Posted by: niche (---.neb.res.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2015 03:36PM

I think I'm hitting a limit that looks like a time limit, but it's probably something else. What I don't know.

Here's my script :

UPDATE du_raw2, cris4 SET du_raw2.sn2 = cris4.sn WHERE du_raw2.key1 LIKE CONCAT('% ',cris4.sn,' %')

My localhost is a wampserver with mysql 5.6.17, php 5.5.12, and apache 2.4.9.

My code parses mailing addresses. It targets the key1 column in the table du_raw2. The key1 column contains addresses (all the address components on a single line).

cris4 contains all the street name possibilities for a specific city. There are 2000 of them.

The script scans each address in the target file (when it has less than 2000 rows) and returns the street name if it's found (from the 2000 street name possibilities).

It successfully updates 1000 target rows in a second. The query log says the connections are opened and closed.
It successfully updates 2000 target rows in three seconds. The query log says the connections are opened and closed.
It times-out somewhere between 2000 and 3000 target rows. The query log says the connections are opened, but never closed.

When I reduce the number of street name possibilities from 2000 to 50, my script successfully processes 3000 target rows in 26 seconds. The query log says the connections are opened and closed. I expected it to take less than 26 seconds (causing me to think it's the way I designed the code, but then I'd need know what concept I'm violating).

My script isn't in a loop (yet). I have 100,000 rows to process. I'm just peeling it back to figure-out where it chokes. It's not the data. It's the number of rows and or the way I'm applying the code.

I'm using it with php, but I doubt php is the problem, I've already played with set_time_limit().

I suppose I could work around the problem in a while loop. It would only run 50 times.

I'd rather know what the true problem is. What do you think? Where else can I look?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: query chokes mysql. where else can i look?
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: September 16, 2015 04:44PM

It is kind of difficult to debug code we cannot see.

Using the set_time_limit() is fine but where do you do that, you do know that that resets the max_execution_time each time its run, so if you run that again and again somewhere in your process control loop it will keep reseting the limit. If you understand what I mean?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.