wamp slow on windows 8.1 hosting joomla 3.6.4
Posted by: codydan (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 16, 2016 03:03AM

Overall wampserver is running and everything functions as it should except my page load speed is so slow I cannot effectively do any work on a joomla installation. I am getting page loads up to 30-45 seconds in the joomla administration but on the low end is about 12-18 seconds on the front end of joomla. I have not used a local development setup since the middle of windows xp life span and page loads were instant back then. Just now giving it a shot again and am surprised I cannot figure this out.

Wampserver was installed and is being run as administrator. etc host file claimed.

PhpMyAdmin is fast when connecting and importing/exporting data manually. Import is slower but not a problem.

On this I am using mysqli, all version specs are below, and InnoDB engine on this local host. Joomla naturally installs using the InnoDB engine.

Have tried both the 32bit and 64bit wamp versions. Completely uninstalled, deleted all files and folders and removed all registry keys using ccleaner prior to reinstall.

I have read over threads about this here at wamp server and microsoft plus tried many offered solutions from days of research on the internet.

Attempted fixes:
Disabled ipv6 via registry and nic card settings both on and off no difference. When disabled removed all reference to ::1 ipv6 in host file to only:
127.0.0.1 localhost

127.0.0.1 mysitename

127.0.0.1 mysitename2

Also tried it this way:
127.0.0.1 localhost mysitename mysitename2
Whether using ipv6 on the system and host file or not makes no difference

Created virtual hosts both manually and through the wamp server control panel. They both run slow.

Used ip 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost including in joomla configuration, as ServerName and mysql_connect setting.

Did a bind in my.ini:
bind-address = 0.0.0.0 ( after the datadir=) setting.

With and without cgi module.

Recommended Windows services have been disabled. No difference with them on or off. In windows 8.1 UAC no longer can be completely disabled but have ran UAC at lowest settings by turning off notifications.

Skype and other programs that used port 80 have been uninstalled and weampserver is the only thing using port 80. I don't use these programs anyway. All bloatware has been removed from the system. Even used Google dns.

Disabling both antivirus and windows firewall did not make any difference on page load times. I have added the recommended exclusions to .exe and .dll files, even excluded the entire wamp directory. Windows Defender is disabled as well as ccleaner.

All component power has been set to Max Performance for plugged in or on battery.

I have spent several days attempting one at a time, all or many combinations of fixes and nothing thus far has made a difference. Regardless all antivirus, port 80 programs, non essential windows services and programs are either disabled or uninstalled.

Is this a windows 8.1 issue or are there any other means to rectify the slow apache/mysql speeds?
Windows 8.1 has been out for some time now one would think there would be a list of known issues to fix and operate wamp on a windows 8.1 system, even in the sticky post here in these forums.
Should I try reverting back to windows 8 instead of 8.1?
Anyone willing to offer any solutions?

Thank you,
Daniel

////Setup/////
Toshiba Satellite C875D-S7101
AMD Dual-Core E-450 Accelerated Processor with AMD Radeon HD 6320 graphics
4GB DDR3 memory
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
17.3 LED-backlit TFT high-definition widescreen display
500GB Serial ATA ha drive (5400 rpm)
AMD Radeon HD 6320 graphics

1) windows 8.1 64bit
2) wampserver3.0.6 64bit
3) apache2.4.23
4) mysql5.7.14
5) php7.0.10

6) Icon is green

7) ////host file:
127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

127.0.0.1 mysitename
::1 mysitename

127.0.0.1 mysitename2
::1 mysitename2

--mysitename is an example to the real names of the virtual host names

8) I have access to localhost

9) I have access to phpmyadmin

10) There are no errors

11) Avast - exclusions have been added for all files recommended by wampserver docs and tried disabling antivirus. Windows firewall - tried with both enabled and disabled.

12) C:\wamp64

13) Virtual hosts:
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName localhost
ServerAlias localhost
DocumentRoot c:/wamp64/www
<Directory "c:/wamp64/www/">
Options +Indexes +Includes +FollowSymLinks +MultiViews
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

ServerName mysitename
DocumentRoot "c:/wamp64/www/mysitename"
<Directory "c:/wamp64/www/mysitename/">
Options +Indexes +FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

ServerName mysitename2
DocumentRoot "c:/wamp64/www/mysitename2"
<Directory "c:/wamp64/www/mysitename2/">
Options +Indexes +FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2016 07:52AM by codydan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wamp slow on windows 8.1 hosting joomla 3.6.4
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: November 16, 2016 11:17AM

Hi

Strangely enough I just started a Joomla 3.6.4 project myself a couple of days ago.

While I would not call it lightening fast, joomla is quite a large tool, page loads are in the region of 2-5 seconds depending on whether they have been recently used or not.

I would suggest turning the "Debug System" on in the Global Settings and then see if you can work out where the main bottle necks are in your system.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: November 16, 2016 10:56PM

I have been working with joomla since the mambo days and know it is an intensive resource hog, however I have not seen these kind of page load times, ever. Like I stated above when running it on local with windows xp a few years ago I had no issues. Not wanting to upgrade to the recent windows OS's of late it came time to do so because of php7 and ioncube. For the last few years I've been doing dev on shared hosting and recently vps cloud hosting but need to be able to work off line when traveling or out of wifi range. The vps cloud load times nearly instant.

Managed to get the load times when working with joomla's menu manager down to 16-19 seconds. Your 2-5 seconds would be a huge leap from what my system is doing and I could live with that. Looking at my OP what do you have setup different then I do? I will look at the debug to see if any improvement can be made from there as you suggested.

Thanks for the reply.

Date: November 17, 2016 08:17AM

Started over with a clean wamp install and left localhost, ipv6 and all default windows settings. The only thing I changed was added exceptions to my antivirus, disabled IIS and maxed out all power options for both plugged in and battery operation.

Adjusted the innodb, mysql, php etc.. memory/buffer/thread settings to the max I could run on this system. It took a bit of testing so the services did not crash but got the load times down to 2-4 seconds when loading joomla administration menu manager with a few hundred table entries. The front end is about half that on average or faster. Some pages close to instant. Perfect.... I did find at startup if I give apache and mysql higher priority to resources via windows task manager it takes about another 5% off page load but the system gets a bit to hot even with the fan at max.

For anyone that would make these server adjustments, you cannot just start randomly increasing settings. You have to do a bit of research, make adjustments in ratio and incremental stages while testing and monitoring the processes of your system. As I quickly found out you can jack your entire server up....

As far as I can tell most, if not all of the solutions I found from disabling ipv6, firewall, using 12.0.0.1 instead of localhost, turning off windows services etc... around the web are unnecessary or flat out do not work.

@RiggsFolly
What I notice using the joomla debug system is categories depend on the menus or vise versa. Some extensions depend on these also. When setting these up there are errors and some warnings due to the data queries that are run expecting both menus and categories to be there data wise. So if setting up all categories first then creating menus, the menu manager takes more time to query these broken links, for lack of better terms. After getting menus and categories setup the queries ran much faster.

I did try on a test with joomla creating 1 to 1 category then menu item, category then menu item and so on and over all the queries ran faster when creating additional categories and menus.

One thing I cannot figure out with the mysql queries is there are duplicate session queries on every request. Will check with joomla to get some answers.

Cheers!
Daniel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2016 08:46PM by codydan.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: November 17, 2016 11:00AM

Daniel,

Congrats on a success, and thanks for posting some information about what you did to get it working at a decent speed, It's always nice to get a bit of feedback on the solution front.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.