Cant access local host from any other device on my LAN
Posted by: billd01 (---.lbcz1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 15, 2016 11:59PM

Hi,

I installed this today:

WampServer Version 3.0.6 64bit
Created by Romain Bourdon (2005)
Maintainer / Upgrade to 2.5 by Herve Leclerc
Upgrade to 3 by Otomatic (wampserver@otomatic.net)
Multi styles for homepage by Jojaba
Installer by Inno Setup: [www.jrsoftware.org]
Forum Wampserver: [forum.wampserver.com]
______________________ Versions used ______________________
Apache 2.4.23 - PHP 5.6.25 - MySQL 5.7.14
PHP 5.6.25 for CLI (Command-Line Interface)

I'm running Windows 10, 64bit.

I followed ALL the installation tips, all is well on my local machine, however I cant see the local host on any other machine (iPad, iPhone, WinXP notebook). On all devices I get the 403 Forbidden "You dont have permission to access / on this server"

1. Apache appears normal "Server Online - all services running"
2. I run everything as Administrator
3. I have another device on port 80 so I changed to port 8080 - ran the check "all is ok"
4. I checked windows firewall rules and ESET AV - no blocking rules i place - Apacahe is open for TCP/UDP
5. I port-forwarded through my router - i accessed from external - got the same Apacahe error but on the external IP - so router is OK

Any help much appreciated.

billd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cant access local host from any other device on my LAN
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: November 16, 2016 12:34AM

Hi,

WAMPServer is intended to be used as a developer tool on a single PC and by people who have no idea what Apache is capable of, or the risks and responsibilities, involved in opening Apache up to full internet access.

For this reason Apache, in WAMPServer, it is configured to accept connections only from the PC running WAMPServer (Apache).

This is done for the security of those that install it, but do not have experience with Apache, so that it cannot be easily and instantly hacked.

However, it is quite possible for those who know Apache, to amend the Apache configuration, so that it can be accessed from anywhere on the internet. See my signature for a link to the Apache manual.

To do this for WAMPServer 3 all you need to do is :

Edit the `httpd-vhosts.conf` file, use the menu links to do this

left click wampmanager -> Apache -> httpd-vhosts.conf
Find this section

#
# Virtual Hosts
#

<VirtualHost *:80>
	ServerName localhost
	DocumentRoot D:/wamp/www
	<Directory  "D:/wamp/www/">
		Options +Indexes +FollowSymLinks +MultiViews
		AllowOverride All
		Require local
	</Directory>
</VirtualHost>
and amend this line
		Require local
to
		Require all granted

I hope that you understand the risks of doing this without the relevant knowledge and experience

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: billd01 (---.lbcz1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 16, 2016 01:37AM

Great, thnx! That got me connected locally on from my iphone. Easy now to port-forward.

Do you know of a simple way to require password access to the local host? I plan to setup a basic webpage that receives data from a local Arduino wifi device, then be able to see the data from anywhere (or potentially email alerts from the page?)

thnx in advance, if I'm bugging you just let me know,

cul
billd

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: November 16, 2016 10:49AM

Hi

No, not bugging us, but can I remind you that we provide WAMPServer free of charge so you have a working Apache/MYSQL/PHP so you can teach yourself how to use it, not so we can teach you how to use it..

Do a search for `htpasswd` or read the Apache manual a link to which in in my signature

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.