Site not displaying properly on intranet
Posted by: ets-ict (46.60.253.---)
Date: November 10, 2016 11:59AM

Hi!

I've created an intranet page using a Wordpress installation on a WAMPServer installation on a VM. The finished product looks just how I want it on the localhost, and I've used the 'Put Online' option to make it available to the other systems within the network.

HOWEVER, while the page does load on other systems, it is only displaying as basic, unformatted text: it's as if the CSS and other formatting/image elements aren't being made available. I'm unsure if this is an issue with WAMP or Wordpress, but given that it displays OK on the localhost I'm imagining it could be something I've not configured properly within WAMP.

Please see the attached screenshots to see the problem:

localhost: [tinyurl.com]
other systems: [tinyurl.com]

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I think it must be because the page is referencing localhost for everything, rather than an IP address.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2016 12:21PM by ets-ict.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Site not displaying properly on intranet
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: November 10, 2016 03:44PM

Hi,

EDIT: I think it must be because the page is referencing localhost for everything, rather than an IP address.

That is quite likely.

Please read [forum.wampserver.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: November 11, 2016 12:01PM

Hi RiggsFolly, thanks for the reply.

I followed your link and decided to quickly start over: I didn't have a huge amount of luck when trying to configure a vhost manually on WAMP2.5, so I spotted that 3.X has an easier way and installed that instead (the intranet site is small enough that I can recreate it easily if it all goes horribly wrong!). I had to change wamp's port to 8081, but that was no trouble.

So I've followed the steps on that page and now have a sitename of 'staff.intranet' with a sitefolder of C:\intranet, rather than having it in the wamp/www folder as before. I've gone into phpmyadmin and created an 'intranet' database (though have no way to tell if this applies to both localhost AND vhost), and I'm now trying to reinstall Wordpress by extracting the files for it directly into that C:\intranet folder and navigating to [staff.intranet]. Unfortunately, navigating there (or to any variation of it) gives me nothing.

So really I just want to check a few things: mainly, when I'm creating a database is that created centrally and then both locahost and staff.intranet read it together, or is there a way to create one specifically for a certain host? I'm left-clicking the 'W' icon and going to 'phpmyadmin' there, which loads the webpage at localhost:8081. If I try to load 'http://staff.intranet:8081', or click on 'staff.intranet' listed under the vhosts on that webpage, I get:

Unable to determine IP address from host name ‘staff.intranet’

The DNS server returned:

Name Error: The domain name does not exist.

Which suggests to me the database I'm creating is just on localhost...

I've restarted DNS both using the menu command in Wampserver and manually through cmd.

This question probably seems quite silly, but I have no experience in hosting of any kind.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2016 01:00PM by ets-ict.

Date: November 11, 2016 12:55PM

Hi

Show us your httpd-vhosts.conf file and your C:\windows\system32\driver\etc\hosts file

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: November 11, 2016 01:06PM

# Virtual Hosts
#

<VirtualHost *:8081>
ServerName localhost
DocumentRoot c:/wamp/www
<Directory "c:/wamp/www/">
Options +Indexes +Includes +FollowSymLinks +MultiViews
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>
#

<VirtualHost *:8081>
ServerName staff.intranet
DocumentRoot "c:/intranet"
<Directory "c:/intranet/">
Options +Indexes +Includes +FollowSymLinks +MultiViews
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

--------------------------------------------------------------

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost

127.0.0.1 staff.intranet
::1 staff.intranet

Date: November 11, 2016 01:27PM

Are you trying to access the wordpress staff.intranet from the PC running WAMPServer or from another PC on the network?

Also a little tidying up of the HOSTS file, it shoudl look like this

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

127.0.0.1 staff.intranet
::1 staff.intranet

You can leave the commented lines in of you like, those are the lines starting with a #

Date: November 11, 2016 01:35PM

I'm accessing on the VM that's running WAMP. As I've removed 2.5 and installed the latest version of WAMP, I'm not currently pushing anything out to other computers on the network.

I can drop the WP installation into the 'www' directory within the wamp folder and it shows up in localhost as a project immediately, and I can run the installation by going to the usual 'localhost:8081/wordpress' address. However, dropping the same folder into 'c:\intranet' doesn't give me the same effect

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2016 02:12PM by ets-ict.

Date: November 11, 2016 03:19PM

Can I ask why you are using a non standard port ?

Date: November 11, 2016 03:24PM

I was on the original installation. On this latest one I had IIS running as well as part of the attempt to get the other site to push over to another system, though I have since removed that and technically could drop back to 80 as nothing else should be using it. I shall attempt to revert to 80 and see if that makes any difference, though from what I understand I can use any open port for WAMP?

Date: November 11, 2016 03:46PM

You can use any port, but it adds complexity, and as we are having issues the first thing to do is remove amything out of the ordinary from the problem sphere

Date: November 11, 2016 04:35PM

OK, so I've reset WAMP to Port 80 and double-checked the vhosts.conf file and that has updated correctly. Restarted DNS and attempted 'http://staff.intranet/' and 'http://staff.intranet/wordpress', with and without :80 at the end, and still nothing...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.