Using wamp installation on an external drive so it can be used on multiple computers
Posted by: agould (---.range86-128.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 03, 2015 01:55PM

Hi,

I have WAMP 2.5 installation (32 bit, Apache 2.4.9, PHP 5.5.12, MySQL 5.6.17) on the E: drive of a desktop which is working fine but I would like to use this on my laptop too. I have done the following:

1. Configured an external drive to use the same drive letter on both PCs (Lsmiling smiley
2: Copied the WAMP directory from the root of E: to the root of L:
2. Edited the WAMP path to update the drive letter change from E: to L: in:

L:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.6.17\my.ini
L:\wamp\alias\phpmyadmin.conf
L:\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.4.9\bin\php.ini
L:\wamp\bin\php\php5.5.12\php.ini
L:\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.4.9\conf\httpd.conf

When I run wampserver.exe from this drive on the laptop I get a series of Apache etc errors relating to the E: drive, and on the desktop phpinfo shows that the php.ini is defaulting to the E: drive. I must therefore have missed changing the path somewhere else or my plan is flawed. What have I done wrong please?

TIA

Andrew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using wamp installation on an external drive so it can be used on multiple computers
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: July 03, 2015 03:52PM

The drive letter is in many places on many files unfortunately so it would be better to install WAMPServer on the L: drive from the laptop so you dont mess with the desktop install.

Then copy your sites from desktop to Laptop L: Drive

Then backup your databases from desktop and restore them on laptop L:drive

Now you should basically have moved everything to the new drive and everything should work from the Laptop as it did before from the desktop.

Once you are sure you have everything you want ...

On the desktop do

wampmanager -> Apache -> Service -> Remove Service
wampmanager -> MySQL -> Service -> Remove Service

Now you have basically removed WAMPServer from the desktop without actually deleting anything ( so its a backup if you forgot anything ).

Now on the desktop locate the wampmanager.exe from the plugged in L: drive, and make a shortcut and put it on your desktops desktop!??! If you follow.

Launch wampmanager on the desktop and do

wampmanager -> Apache -> Service -> Install Service
wampmanager -> MySQL -> Service -> Install Service

You should now have access to WAMPServer but be using it from the L: drive..

Once all is ok, you can just delete the E:/wamp folder.

See this post for a more detailed explanation of what and why and how [forum.wampserver.com]

Warning : If you ever try and start up WAMPServer and you dont have the L: drive plugged in you are going to get some unpleasant results.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Re: Using wamp installation on an external drive so it can be used on multiple computers
Posted by: agould (---.range86-128.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 11, 2015 11:52AM

Many thanks for this. Sorry I didn't have email notifications on hence the tardy acknowledgement.

Posted by: agould (---.range86-162.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 29, 2015 11:44AM

Incidentally when you say 'unpleasant results' if I launch WAMPServer without the L: drive plugged in, what do you mean?

Would I be better to have separate WAMP installs on the desktop and laptop and copy over the current site files and restore the latest database?

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: July 29, 2015 02:28PM

Well if you did as I suggested you will just get a simple 'cannot find wampserver.exe' so not actually that serious really.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: July 29, 2015 05:35PM

Well I thought that would be the case but you worried me so I thought I had better ask first!

Thanks for letting me know smiling smiley

Date: July 29, 2015 08:52PM

Working smiling smiley

Many thanks this is great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.