Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Frontend Login Failure
Posted by: japhy_snyder (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 12, 2015 11:04PM

I recently tried installing my joomla website on my localhost with WAMP. To do this I used Akeeba backup. Once the site was loaded and i changed the htaccess to .txt it seemed to be working. I can log in the back end and the site appears functional except when i try to login it fails. Has anyone any clue as to why this would happen? The error message says:

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I have tried rebooting everything and also clearing the caches on my comp with cccleaner.

Thanks for reading!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Frontend Login Failure
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: June 13, 2015 12:33AM

Did you setup a Virtual Host for this site? If not try that, heres some help [forum.wampserver.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: June 13, 2015 03:18AM

I gave it a shot but I seem to be having trouble with my httpd.conf file. Firstly when I opened it in a text editor it was all jumbled up (not organized by line) so i got rid of the # but this led to a syntax error when I checked on the command line after wamp didnt restard properly.

So then i tried to find a default httpd.conf file to restart with everything proper but this hasn't seemed to work. First I got some erros because it was pointing to wamp in my c drive but i have it in my d

but now I am getting syntax errors from the file i tried at about line 72 for loading modules. "cannot load modules"

So i dont even know if my new httpd.conf file is good, and can't be sure if my attempt to setup virtual host is working

Do you know how i should go about fixing my httpd.conf ? And is it going to be a problem that it is in the D drive?

Date: June 13, 2015 03:48AM

BTW this is where i got the file I tried

[gist.github.com]

Date: June 13, 2015 12:59PM

Get a decent editor first, try notepad++ its free and it can cope with DOS and UNIX formatted files.

I would uninstall WAMPServer, then manually delete the d:\wamp folder and all subfolders.

Then reinstall WAMPServer.

Remember to backup anything you think you may need, if that is possible in your current situation

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: June 15, 2015 03:18AM

I have notepad++, problem was that the file was already in a corrupted form, maybe windows wasn't recognizing editplus or notepad++ when i intially went to find it. How can I open the files linked from WAMP icon in the tray with a deicated editor, it seems no matter what i do it opens with a simple windows editor.

Silly enough but you did remind me I already had a backup lol. I got the httpd .conf from it and now my wamp is back to green... I'll go try and see if login can be made to work now!

Date: June 15, 2015 03:54AM

Ok so vhosts is working now although when i try to access it it goes to project1/project1 instead of simply project1.... i am not sure if that is normal.

But unfortunately the login still is not working and it has the same error message.

Date: June 15, 2015 11:03AM

Hi,

HOW TO: Set your prefered editor in WAMPServer

Out of the box WAMPServer will use the default windows editor, notepad, whenever you click on a wampmanager menus item that edits a file.
It is a good idea to use a proper text editor for these purposes and not notepad, a good free option is Notepad++
To get WAMPServer (wampmanager) to use this editor you need to do the following :-

1. Make a backup of \wamp\wampmanager.conf

2. Edit \wamp\wampmanager.conf and find this line

editor = "notepad.exe"

3. Change "notepad.exe" to the full path to your prefered editor,
remember to use the unix Forward slash and not the DOS backslash

EXAMPLE
editor = "c:/program files/notepad++/notepad++.exe"

Save the file, and then either Exit wampmanager and restart WAMPServer
OR
Using the wampmanager menus do

- right click wampmanager -> refresh

Date: June 15, 2015 11:03AM

If you are getting project1/project1 that looks wrong, so show us your http-vhost.conf file.

Date: June 15, 2015 07:55PM

thanks for the note about switching the default editor...

as for the vhost file i just coppied the one from the posted link with my own path abbreviation:

<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot "D:\wamp\www"
ServerName localhost
ServerAlias localhost
<Directory "D:\wamp\www">
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>
DocumentRoot "D:\wamp\www\awn"
ServerName awn
<Directory "D:\wamp\www\awn">
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Date: June 15, 2015 08:02PM

The only thing I think is that maybe it has to do with the way my hosted site is structured. With add on domains and such the file structure maybe put the main site area into a folder of the same name as the main site. therefore mainsite awn is in folder awn to differentiate it from the addon and subdomains. perhaps my backup and install carries that same configuration and is causing the double named root

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: June 15, 2015 08:45PM

Do not use backslash \ for paths, use slash /

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: June 16, 2015 01:31AM

Ok I've done that change but it doesnt seem to have changed anything. even after stopping, refreshing, and restarting services.

when i go to the root awn all i get is the same view as i get when i go to localhost. when i proceed to the project view awn/awn/ i still cannot log in... when i go to localhost and click awn i get to localhost/awn

you think this is a wamp conf problem or joomla at this point? I am also having problems logging into the admin section as well now. Pretty sure i was in before... could my database be corrupted?

thanks for the help. sure is tricky to troubleshoot when i dont know a whole heck of a lot about this!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2015 01:31AM by japhy_snyder.

Date: June 16, 2015 10:47AM

Ok Japhy,

Now did you add your new domain name to the HOSTS file?

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

It should look like this

127.0.0.1  localhost
127.0.0.1  awn

::1  localhost
::1   awn

HOW TO EDIT THE HOSTS FILE
The hosts file is protected by windows, in order to save it you must have Administrator privilages.
Vista/W7/W8 you may think you are an Administrator BUT YOU ARE NOT.

To successfully save the hosts file do this to launch your editor with Admin Privilages.

Locate your editors icon on the desktop or from the Start menus ( notepad will do if you have nothing else )
right click + shift over your chosen editor icon - will show a menu.
select "Run As Administrator" from the menu.
Navigate your editor to the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file.

When you have made changes you will now be allowed to save them.

Date: June 17, 2015 04:12AM

Yea thats what I had... I followed the instructions you originally posted, i just had problem with the editor, and I did have the / directions wrong.

Date: June 18, 2015 04:17AM

Again I'm pretty sure the address is probably correct and the double awn/awn/ is derived from the nature of my folders.

maybe this is why the logins is failing? maybe there is a way to copy files up one level? or point the double awn/awn/ back to a root host via another method?

Date: June 18, 2015 09:59AM

If you want the documentroot of this project to be \wamp\www\awn\awn then change the virtual host definition to

DocumentRoot "D:/wamp/www/awn/awn"
   ServerName awn
   <Directory "D:/wamp/www/awn/awn">
      AllowOverride All
      Require local
   </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Date: July 01, 2015 06:41AM

I have changed it and now the site is accessible from localhost/awn/ but still no ability to login. Do you expect that this is a configuration.php problem?

It is weird to me because i can login on the backend of my site but not the front end.

Date: July 01, 2015 10:15AM

What happens when you use just 'awn` as the url?

Date: July 02, 2015 03:13AM

awn url takes me to the localhost default interface.
localhost/awn and awn/awn brings me to the website

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.