Run Wamp without admin rights
Posted by: Albiz (---.235.ncsgroup.it)
Date: October 03, 2014 10:51AM

HI!

I've got Windows 7 Pro x64, i've installed wamp x64 version 2.5 using domain administrator.
The user that works with wamp is a simple domain user, no other rights.
I temporarily elevete this user to local Admin in order to start working but for our IT standard it's a risk.
Is another way to continue working with a low IT risk?
In this Forum i read about scheduling, change service properties, create Virtual Host and so on but all are not working or are weird like the Virtual Host; please can you tell me a sure way?
Thanks

A

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Run Wamp without admin rights
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: October 03, 2014 11:30AM

WAMPServer was designed primarily as a developers tool, so he/she can have a AMP stack available on their PC to develop and test with. As such its default configuration is such that it cannot be accessed from any other PC on your internal network and definitely not from the internet. As such it is secure from access from anywhere else other than the PC it is installed on. Try to access it from another PC, doing that is the subject of many posts here as by default it is not possible.

If you are considering using it to serve a web site on the internet then I suggest as you have an IT Standard you probably also have security experts and Server adminnistrators. You should get them involved in the security process.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: Albiz (---.235.ncsgroup.it)
Date: October 03, 2014 11:49AM

Wait!

This is not the issue!

The problem is this:
The Computer is only one Windows 7 Pro x64 but the users are 2:
User 1: Me=Domain Admin
User 2: User=Simple domain user, temporary elevated to Local Admin in order to work with Wamp.

The question: How can User2 work with wamp (with the same condition of local admin) without elevation?

Sorry for misunderstanding.
A

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: October 03, 2014 03:20PM

Oh ok, sorry for the misunderstanding.

This is how you can allow WAMPServer i.e. Wampmanager and the windows services 'wampapache' and 'wampmysql' to be started under a Standard User Account instead of the default local_system account.

Download Utility "setacl.exe" for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows, the free version for the command line from the site [helgeklein.com]
Unzip the file, which will create a folder: SetACL (executable version) in which there are two other folders for the 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
If you have a 64-bit Windows, it is imperative to run the 64-bit version of setacl. regardless of WAMPServer version (32/64bit)

Please read the documetaion on Helge's site so you understand what you are doing with this tool.

From here on I will user the generic UserId "StandardUser" to denote a Windows Userid created as a Standard User with no extra privilages.
Of course, you replace "StandardUser" with the actual UserId that you want to be allowed to start the services.
The user account must exist before making these changes.

Everything that follows is to be performed as an administrator:

Open a command window and CD into the SetAcl 32 or 64 bits folder depending on your version of Windows.

What follows will give rights to a standard user to start, stop and read wampapache wampmysqld services and which gives access to the following two commands to WampServer:

setacl -on "wampapache" -ot srv -ace "nconfused smileytandardUser;p:start_stop,read" -actn ace
setacl -on "wampmysqld" -ot srv -ace "nconfused smileytandardUser;p:start_stop,read" -actn ace

Now when logged into windows as "StandardUser", I can start WampServer, which starts the services and get to a green icon with access to localhost and phpMyAdmin.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Re: Run Wamp without admin rightshttp://forum.wampserver.com/mods/smileys/images/smilie11.gif
Posted by: sruj (---.lubin.vectranet.pl)
Date: June 30, 2015 11:41PM

confused smile = : and S

it works!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2015 12:37AM by sruj.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.