Unable to open my localhost/administrator page
Posted by: amberH (---.bc.hsia.telus.net)
Date: October 14, 2016 07:46PM

I'm not entirely sure whether this is a Joomla problem or a WAMP problem...

I'm very new to Joomla and WAMP.
I've been taking an online course on Joomla.
I recently installed WAMP - then Joomla.

It's been working fine.
Several times I've logged in to the new site I'm building, and made a few changes, while following along in the course I'm doing.
Today when I went to log in, I get a "404 Not Found" error when I type localhost/administrator in the address bar.
If I go to my 'c:wamp\www' directory and double click index.php - it asks me what I want to use to open this file.
I can see by the green "W" in my task bar that all services for WAMP, including PHP are up and running fine.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this, and explanation as to what may have caused this?

Thanks,
Amber

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Unable to open my localhost/administrator page
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: October 15, 2016 10:15AM

Hi,

> If I go to my 'c:wamp\www' directory and double click index.php
A php file does not launch by double-click. We must open it in a browser.
In this case c:\wamp\www\index.php is the homepage of Wampserver ('http://localhost/')

Never modify the contents of c:\wamp\www\ or modify the files that are there. You can only add a folder, for example: c:\wamp\www\mysite\ to put your site into.

On the other hand, for web applications, mainly for Joomla and others, you must use a VirtualHost, as with all web hosts: The need for Virtual Host

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.