Wamp going orange on listen from local IP
Posted by: funkyfrank (---.snugexpresssolution3.com)
Date: February 15, 2015 08:46PM

In httpd.conf under Listen I have following lines:

# Listen: Allows you to bind Apache to specific IP addresses and/or
# ports, instead of the default. See also the <VirtualHost>
# directive.
#
# Change this to Listen on specific IP addresses as shown below to 
# prevent Apache from glomming onto all bound IP addresses.
#
#Listen 12.34.56.78:80
#Listen 192.168.188.45:80
Listen 0.0.0.0:80
Listen [::0]:80

I like Wamp to also listen to incoming connections from 192.168.188.45 on port 80, however if I remove the commenting # in front of Listen 192.168.188.45:80 and select Restart All Services Wamp will not go green but stays orange.

How can I make Wamp listen to incoming connections on the local network from IP 192.168.188.45 on port 80 please? I have allowed incoming TCP connections on port 80 from the Private network (not Domain and neither Public network) in the Windows Firewall as well.

If I try to debug and run httpd -t from the cmd promt inside C:\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.4.9\bin I get Syntax OK. Though the Wamp icon stays orange.

C:\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.4.9\bin>httpd -t
Syntax OK

C:\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.4.9\bin>

Not so important, but just to clarify for myself:
Does Listen 0.0.0.0:80 mean that Wamp is listening to incoming connections from localhost or really from IP 0.0.0.0?
What does the line Listen 0.0.0.0:80 mean?
I assume Listen [::0]:80 is the same as Listen 0.0.0.0:80 except that Listen [::0]:80 is for IPv6?

Thank you for your help.

Kind Regards

Version of Operating system? Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Version of Wamp Server installed? 2.5 32bit
Version of Apache you are running? 2.4.9
Version of MySQL you are running? 5.6.17
Version of PHP you are running? 5.5.12
What colour is your WampManager icon? Green
Host file localhost 127.0.0.1

New to WAMP?
Read this please: [forum.wampserver.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2015 08:54PM by funkyfrank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wamp going orange on listen from local IP
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: February 16, 2015 10:55AM

Hello again Frank,

Ok, Apache is aleady listening for incomming connections from everywhere. However as WAMPServer is designed for a single seat developer situation, and also complete beginners, Apache in WAMPServer is configured to ignore connections from anywhere other than the PC that is running Apache.

If you want to open up one of your Virtual Hosts to any other ip address it is just a case of telling Apache that it is allowed to. So what you do is edit your httpd-vhosts.conf file and instruct Apache which ip addresses or ip address ranges it is allowed to accept connections from

According to your other question you already have done this, in fact you have allowed any ip address on the 192.168.188 subdomain. If you actually want to be specific and only allow one ip then you could change your settings to `Require ip 192.168.188.45` but that would seem to be overkill in your case.

<VirtualHost *:80>
    DocumentRoot "c:/wamp/www"
    ServerName localhost
    ServerAlias localhost
    <Directory  "c:/wamp/www">
    	AllowOverride All
	Require local
	Require ip 192.168.188               <-- you aleady have the instruction here
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
    DocumentRoot "D:/WEB/WWW"
    ServerName workbench.dev
    ServerAlias www.workbench.dev

<Directory "D:/WEB/WWW">
	AllowOverride all
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

<IfDefine APACHE24>
    		Require local
    		Require ip 192.168.188         <-- you aleady have the instruction here
	</IfDefine>

<IfDefine !APACHE24>
		Order Deny,Allow
    		Deny from all
    		Allow from 127.0.0.0/8 localhost ::1 192.168.188
    	</IfDefine>

</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: funkyfrank (---.snugexpresssolution3.com)
Date: February 16, 2015 09:49PM

So with the computer from 192.168.188.45, when I enter the IP of the computer that has Apache running, in this case 192.168.188.30 I should be seeing the localhost of 192.168.188.30?

EDIT:
I tested this shortly, opened Port 80 for incoming TCP connections on 192.168.188.30, the compter running Apache, but still, the request is being rejected, even though all computers are on the same local network and the Windows networking works fine, I can share folders between them and see the actual computer names in Windows explorer. So it should also work through a browser, no? Do you have an idea with the connection attempt is being rejected there as well?

And if I enter workbench.dev on the computer with 192.168.188.45 I would have to add to the HOSTS file on 192.168.188.45 the following line workbench.dev 192.168.188.30.

Then the request for workbench.dev is being directed to 192.168.188.30, the computer running Apache, and Apache would then serve me the correct directory on 192.168.188.30 to 192.168.188.45?

Or would I then be seeing the localhost of 192.168.188.30?

Or will I actually be able to see D:/WEB/WWW from 192.168.188.30 on 192.168.188.45?

I think I am starting to get closer...

Again, many thanks for your help and great replies!

Speak soon & Kind Regards

New to WAMP?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 10:03PM by funkyfrank.

Posted by: reno2atlanta (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2015 04:34AM

Hello

My icon is orange too. Can someone explain in laymens terms how I can fix this? Also, I do not have skype or anything else running. Before this was running fine!

Thanks!

Date: February 17, 2015 09:54AM

Frank,

So with the computer from 192.168.188.45, when I enter the IP of the computer that has Apache running, in this case 192.168.188.30 I should be seeing the localhost of 192.168.188.30?

YES

EDIT:
I tested this shortly, opened Port 80 for incoming TCP connections on 192.168.188.30, the compter running Apache, but still, the request is being rejected, even though all computers are on the same local network and the Windows networking works fine, I can share folders between them and see the actual computer names in Windows explorer. So it should also work through a browser, no? Do you have an idea with the connection attempt is being rejected there as well?

How is this request being rejected. I mean is it a firewall rejection or an Aapche rejection. If its getting as far as Apache there should be an entry in the Apache error log saying something like "Rejected due to Server configuration" and the connecting PC's ip address will be on the same line.

And if I enter workbench.dev on the computer with 192.168.188.45 I would have to add to the HOSTS file on 192.168.188.45 the following line workbench.dev 192.168.188.30.
Correct

Then the request for workbench.dev is being directed to 192.168.188.30, the computer running Apache, and Apache would then serve me the correct directory on 192.168.188.30 to 192.168.188.45?
Correct

You woudl only see the WAMPServer homepage if the VHOST definition for workbench.dev was not correct and it used it fall back to primary vhost condition

Or will I actually be able to see D:/WEB/WWW from 192.168.188.30 on 192.168.188.45?
You would see a folder representaion only if workbench.dev did not contain a valid index.php or index.html file

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: funkyfrank (---.234.27.17.81.swissinet.com)
Date: February 17, 2015 03:18PM

YES

EDIT:

How is this request being rejected. I mean is it a firewall rejection or an Aapche rejection. If its getting as far as Apache there should be an entry in the Apache error log saying something like "Rejected due to Server configuration" and the connecting PC's ip address will be on the same line.

OK, I did manage to get this working. I had to allow incoming connections in the software firewall I use as well. I usually have the Windows FW turned off and use a software FW and in there I allowed incoming connections from the local network over TCP on port 80 and the Wampserver default page, or so to speak the localhost of the computer running Apache turned up just fine.

Please note I am also always using a VPN connection and thought that this might be the culprit but it is not, since I am using the OpenVPN client and this perfectly allows connections on the local network, incoming to the computer running Apache as well as outgoing from the computer trying to reach Apache. So now all computers are connected to the VPN for browsing the internet while on the local network I can reach 192.168.188.30's localhost. Perfect!

The last thing to set up now is OpenVPN on the Andoird smartphone I have, since the VPN's default client routes all requests through their own DNS servers, while OpenVPNs client seems to leave requests on the local network alone, hence all the machines running the OpenVPN client can still connect to Apache, while the smartphone that is still using the VPN's default client cannot. But this should hopefully not be an issue.

Correct

Correct

You woudl only see the WAMPServer homepage if the VHOST definition for workbench.dev was not correct and it used it fall back to primary vhost condition

And if I wanted to automatically direct all requests for workbench.dev from any device connected to the local network to the corresponding folder, in this case D:/WEB/WWW, I would have to direct DNS requests for workbench.dev to localhost on the computer running Apache and leave all other DNS requests going to OpenDNS servers or the VPN's DNS servers for example. Correct?

Details:
And directing DNS requests for workbench.dev to localhost on the computer running Apache means running BIND on that computer, telling the router to use that computers IP, in this case 192.168.188.30, as a DNS server, then setting up a .dev wildcard domain and include forwarders for all other requests. (Do not worry I am not asking you to help me with this as this is out of the scope of this forum..) At least that is what plenty of tutorials and blog posts write about, unfortunately only on Apple or Linux systems, with none so far that I could find doing this on Windows (with BIND), but I will get there eventually, hehe.

Nevertheless I do understand the theory of all this behind it now and will report back when I also tackled resolving DNS requests on the local network with BIND, since that seems the only DNS server running on Apple, Linux and Windows systems and is basically the most widely used (don't quote me on that) DNS server out there.

The other option would be to have to key in the IP address of the machine running Apache and that then would only give me the localhost or the default Wampserver page instead of my projects folders.

Last question: Considering this, is there a way to link from the default Wampserver's page under Your Projects to the corresponding folder, so to speak D:/WEB/WWW instead of displaying the content that is under C:/wamp/www?? If not I will go the BIND route and sort that myself. I just thought it might be very handy to be able to link to a folder from the default Wampserver's page to another folder on the computer running Apache, without having to set up a local DNS server. Though if this is not possible I am happy to tackle the BIND set up as well and will, fingers crossed, post about it in a detailed tutorial, one fine day. I know it can be done, design agencies do it and lots of other web devs do it as well, so I can do it too, hehe.

You would see a folder representation only if workbench.dev did not contain a valid index.php or index.html file

P.S. Sorry for the bold text, I did not know how to use different colours for text. You guys either need to change the whole forum CMS or at least include a sticky post on how to format posts. The bold text is meant as a reply to your reply.

Again, dear Riggs, I await your reply with patience and thank you for your continuous and productive support and help. Did you see my other reply in the thread with .dev being resolved? I made an edit there to check something and am still a bit confused about what is happening there, thank you.

Best Regards

New to WAMP?

Date: February 17, 2015 05:39PM

Hi Frank,

I think there is one chink in your armour based on the last question:

Remember that if you want a VHOST i.e. workbench.dev to run, Apache has to be presented with the url `workbench.dev` in order to find it in the VHOST list and therefore launch the correct site and with the correct DocumentRoot. So it has to be launched by keying in `workbench.dev`.

The idea of a link to this site on the WAMPServer homepage, sounds ok to start with, but remember it would be the clients browser that is doing the clicking and therefore the Client machine that need to know that workbench.dev exists on ip address a.b.c.d

So the options are tailoring the HOSTS file on each client PC or setting up a local DNS on the local network.

Also remember the DNS is for the whole local network and not just one PC, so it would need setting up with knowledge of a few local domain name=ipaddress settings and them told to go to a real DNS Server for anything that it does not know about itself. I forget the terminology, but something like an authorative DNS server.

Posted by: funkyfrank (---.234.27.17.81.swissinet.com)
Date: February 17, 2015 11:33PM

Good point with the client doing the clicking on the WAMPServer homepage, so a no for me in this case. I thought the request could be redirected on the (what is the other end of client? server-side?) server-side itself. So I drop this thought and any ways it is good to leave the WAMPServer homepage or localhost of the computer running Apache alone, just to be able to check from time to time if things are working correctly,no?

Yes the local DNS server needs to be sitting on a computer that is always on, otherwise when turned off the other computers in the network will neither have internet nor be able to talk to each other. That is OK, one of the computers is a workstation so made for 24/7 use.

Usually the router would take care of redirecting the requests but since this particular router (unfortunately one that cannot use DD-WRT [en.wikipedia.org] ) can either check for outside DNS servers or only one or two other IPs given by the user, the router would have to direct all requests to the computer running BIND. BIND then decides whether to direct the requests to Apache or to outside DNS servers.

With BIND it is possible to set so called forwarders, that, like they say, forward all requests to DNS servers outside the local network if they cannot find a host in the given list and for those they do find the requests are being directed to the computer running Apache and Apache then directs the request to the DocumentRoot given in the VHOST definition. There are a few preconfigured files on GitHub and in various other places that work with BIND on Windows. Giving those a shot and fingers crossed I can report back with a positive result.

In the end, clients coming to my home/office to see development work can then simply connect to my local network and check out the projects on their smartphone, tablet or laptop. Of course for off-site viewing I would put work in progress on subdomains of my work main work domain alongside a .htaccess and .htpasswd file so they they can check out work from anywhere they like.

Last thing, if you find some time, let me know in this thread [forum.wampserver.com] why, despite having .test in the VHOST file Apache still resolves the .dev domain, mind you with DNS cache cleared.

I really do enjoy coming here and learning about all this tremendously, thank you again for your effort and the time you put into this. Much appreciated on my end!

Kind Regards

New to WAMP?

Date: February 18, 2015 10:24AM

RE: Using BIND or whatever local DNS Server.

Last thing, if you find some time, let me know in this thread [forum.wampserver.com] why, despite having .test in the VHOST file Apache still resolves the .dev domain, mind you with DNS cache cleared.

Remember Apache is uninvolved in the finding process. It just sits and waits for anything connecting on port 80. It then looks at the domain name passed as part of the conversation which triggers the search for a matching domain name in the VHOST table. And of course if it fails to find a matching domain it will show the default domain, which is the first one in the VHOST file.
You can sometimes make use of this defaulting to make it show the site of your choice by default by making whatever site you want to show by default the first one you define in the VHOST file.

However I feel its best to leave whichever is the first and therefore the default domain set so that it cannot be accessed from an external IP i.e. Require local. This way if, as will definitely happen, you get a casual attempt to access port 80, it will receive an error message saying you are not allowed access to this site. This does give away the fact you have an Apache webserver on that ip address, but at least access will be denied.

The browser, and the network stack is what finds the ip address to try and connect to. So if you have a HOSTS file on the client PC that still contains

127.0.0.1  xxx.test
127.0.0.1  xxx.dev
::1  xxx.test
::1  xxx.dev

the browser/network stack still knows about both the .test and .dev tld's

Also when you do
net stop dnscache
net start dnscache
it does not empty the dnscache it drops it on the `net stop dnscache` of course but the `net start dnscache` reads the HOSTS file to pre-initialise the cache with anything it finds in the HOSTS file.

Posted by: funkyfrank (179.43.133.---)
Date: February 18, 2015 03:22PM

All tests regarding this are being done on the computer running Apache, not on any client computer. Also I checked and for this also emptied out the HOSTS file of every client computer on the local network. There should not be any traces of .dev or .test on any client computer in this case.

The HOSTS file is also empty on the computer running Apache, that is the strange thing, that despite the HOSTS file being empty and having put in flushdns and gotten confirmation that the DNS Resolver Cache is empty it still resolves to localhost, or in this case, while WAMPServer is running, to the default WAMPServer default page.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Before flushing with the HOSTS file empty.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /displaydns

Windows IP Configuration

1.dev
    ----------------------------------------
    Record Name . . . . . : 1.dev
    Record Type . . . . . : 1
    Time To Live  . . . . : 3580
    Data Length . . . . . : 4
    Section . . . . . . . : Answer
    A (Host) Record . . . : 127.0.53.53
Also, why do I get a 53.53 here??

wpad
    Name does not exist.

after flushing
C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

Windows IP Configuration

Could not display the DNS Resolver Cache.

I now enter 1.dev in the browser on the computer running Apache and look for DNS entries et violĂ  it comes up again with the default page. But why?
I now check the DNS Resolver cache and again it displays the .dev domain.

Windows IP Configuration

1.dev
    Record Name . . . . . : 1.dev
    Time To Live  . . . . : 3522
    A (Host) Record . . . : 127.0.53.53

C:\Windows\system32>

All this leaves me puzzled. As I said, on purpose for this I have emptied the HOSTS file completely, there is not a single line in there.

I then do further tests with other fake TLDs:

C:\Windows\system32>net stop dnscache
The DNS Client service is stopping.
The DNS Client service was stopped successfully.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution.

C:\Windows\system32>net start dnscache
The DNS Client service is starting.
The DNS Client service was started successfully.

Windows IP Configuration

Windows IP Configuration

anything.rem
    Name does not exist.

www.anything.deev
    Name does not exist.

www.anything.rem
    Name does not exist.

anything.deev
    Name does not exist.

C:\Windows\system32>

As I would think, .deev or .rem TLDs are not being resolved and this shows in the DNS Resolver Cache. However .dev is always being resolved. Also it gives me the IP 127.0.53.53. Why 53.53??

Is there anything else that I can try to "reset" the computer's DNS Resolver Cache?

Should I try and go back to a clean system image BEFORE I installed WAMPServer and see if it resolves the .dev TLD then? I make clean system images all the time and have no issues travelling back and forth in various stages of the system.

Perhaps there is something else that makes the .dev TLD resolve? Do you have a clue? As I said the HOSTS file is empty and I think I cleared the DNS Resolver Cache fine. Also starting and stopping the DNS Client service does not help. Well if the DNS Client service is stopped nothing works but that is to be expected.

If you have a clue please do let me know. Am I finding a bug here or is my system compromised even? Let's not speculate and get to the bottom of this together.

Again, thank you for your reply and all the best to you!!

Kind Regards

New to WAMP?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2015 03:26PM by funkyfrank.

Date: February 18, 2015 05:32PM

Its always fun getting a post from you Frank,

I am having to do loads of research, and I am learning quite a bit.

RE: 127.0.53.53 See this ICANN info

Right to the other stuff,

I did as you did, while WAMPServer was running i.e. Apache running
D:\tmp\tests>net stop dnscache
The DNS Client service is stopping.
The DNS Client service was stopped successfully.

D:\tmp\tests>net start dnscache
The DNS Client service is starting.
The DNS Client service was started successfully.

D:\tmp\tests>ipconfig /displaydns

Windows IP Configuration

As soon as I touch the browser and click on the tab containing the homepage the dnscache gets loaded with this
D:\tmp\tests>ipconfig /displaydns

Windows IP Configuration

api.ip2info.org
    Record Name . . . . . : api.ip2info.org
    Time To Live  . . . . : 481
    A (Host) Record . . . : 178.63.49.5

A (Host) Record . . . : 178.63.55.16

A (Host) Record . . . : 78.46.33.134

A (Host) Record . . . : 178.63.61.132

Remember, that windows itself uses the dnscache.
The idea of the cache is that once you request an ip address from a DNS it never has to go back out to the real DNS Server, the domainname=ipaddress is stored in the cache, to save calls to a DNS Server

When I then go to 'http://localhost' all my VHOSTS get listed in the 'ipconfig /displaydns'
I assume because Apache has done something to check that they can be reached.

All are listed with the 127.0.53.53 ip address. maybe behind the covers there is a .dev TLD, but they have not told us about it yet.

Aaahhhhhhh I just found this, see link DEV DOMAIN NAMES - PRE-REGISTER

I guess I should stop using the TLD .dev. I used it originally because it seemed logical, and .dev did not exist as a real TLD. So now it does, or will soon anyway.
This also may explain the ICANN domainname clash stuff and 127.0.53.53 I linked to above.

Posted by: funkyfrank (179.43.133.---)
Date: February 18, 2015 07:53PM

I am glad you enjoy my posts. Me too I am learning loads and I must say I am quite happy about it. Thank you tremendously for your research into giving me proper replies. I really want to thank you for it!!

The bottom line is, because the .dev TLD can soon be registered for real domains the 127.0.53.53 shows up signalling a clash of domains and that is also the reason why Apache sends all *.dev requests to localhost by default without actually having an entry in the VHOST definition nor elsewhere in Apache? Is this correct and this is what you are saying?

Should we take this to [serverfault.com] or [networkengineering.stackexchange.com] or [superuser.com] and see what people come up with there? I am kind of curious if they get the same answer, perhaps from a senior network admin or senior server guru the reply might be different? Please do not take this as an affront, I am fully happy with your reply, it makes sense and I can somehow understand it. I also do not doubt your level of expertise or knowledge in this field. It just kind of tingles me to see what other professionals might have to say about this.

Last not least, what could be used for local development that is not taken? .devcom? What other "cool" local development domains can you come up with that won't clash and definitely wont be available? There seems to be tons of new TLDs coming, while I think .com will continue to rule them all. .com is even in the Android and Apple smartphones on the keypad by default, so this kind of also hints it.

Very Best Regards

New to WAMP?

Date: February 19, 2015 10:01AM

No problem with you going for another opinion. I would try any one of those stackexchange sites.

Regarding using another fake TLD, well to be honest there is no need. The only thing you need to remember is that if you put a domain in the HOSTS file or a DNS it just means that you cannot get to the LIVE site anymore as the local info will take preference over remote DNS info.

So if you decide to use

127.0.0.1 wampserver.com

as a local defined domain it just means you wont get here anymore.

I tend to use the live sites name and then just replace .com or .co.uk with .dev, but it could just as easily be .frank

If you do post on stackexchange somewhere, mail me the link and I will look forward to the answers with interest.

Regards

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.