Websites don't work after Windows reinstallation
Posted by: gyrocog (---.dynamic.stcable.net)
Date: February 18, 2015 07:59PM

Greetings everyone,

Had 2 websites that I've been working on, and then my old Windows 7 x64 broke. I'm now running Windows 8.1 but now I'm finding problems with Wamp. My websites don't seem to be working.

To get all technicalities out of the way...

1 - Windows version used (Specify version number AND whether 32 or 64 bit)
Windows 8.1 Pro x64 (6.3.9600)

2 - Version WampServer (Specify version number AND whether 32 or 64 bit)
WampServer 2.5 64-bit

3 - Apache Version

4 - PHP Version

5 - MySQL Version

6 - What color is the WampServer icon (in the notification area of the taskbar)
GREEN

7 - Hosts file
127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost
127.0.0.1 soundmute
::1 soundmute
127.0.0.1 goasia
::1 goasia

7.1 - HTTPD-VHosts file
<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot "e:/wamp/www"
ServerName localhost
ServerAlias localhost
<Directory "e:/wamp/www">
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

DocumentRoot "e:/wamp/www/soundmute"
ServerName soundmute
ServerAlias soundmute
<Directory "e:/wamp/www/soundmute">
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

DocumentRoot "e:/wamp/www/goasia"
ServerName goasia
ServerAlias goasia
<Directory "e:/wamp/www/goasia">
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

8 - Do you have access to localhost (Homepage WampServer)?
Yes

9 - Do you have access to phpMyAdmin?
Yes

10 - If you refer to an error message, please include the EXACT wording of the error in your post
For both sites is the same, with minor details:

SOUNDMUTE - Error displaying the error page: Application Instantiation Error: Table 'soundmute.smr_session' doesn't exist SQL=DELETE FROM `smr_session` WHERE `time` < '1424282561'

GOASIA - Error displaying the error page: Application Instantiation Error: Table 'goasia.goa_session' doesn't exist SQL=SELECT `session_id` FROM `goa_session` WHERE `session_id` = 's7bgbs2h43u4d395136ga8age3' LIMIT 0, 1

11 - If you use an Antivirus and / or Firewall, please include the names of these
Comodo Internet Security Premium 8.1.0.4426

12 - What is the full path to the installation of WampServer (eg D:\wamp\)
E:\wamp\

------------------------

So, basically, I don't have a problem with Wamp, so to speak, but with the database. Both sites are Joomla installations, latest versions, always updated, worked fine until I reinstalled Windows. Now I get those errors.

Interesting thing is that I've found what I think are the files that comprise the database entries in E:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.6.17\data, and there are folders for both my websites (goasia, and soundmute). PHPmyAdmin and SQLbuddy both show databases. I have no idea if any are damaged by any chance.

I would really like if someone could help me out here (I'm rather new with servers and whatnot) and tell me what I should test next to see how I can get all this working again.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Websites don't work after Windows reinstallation
Posted by: Niek66 (---.direct-adsl.nl)
Date: February 19, 2015 02:39AM

Do you have done an upgrade from 7 to 8 or a new installation?
Because, if you have a new installation,
you also need to reinstall the WampServer and all other programs
and if you have downloaded the latest version first, then that can be a problem if you used before mysql,
because you can no longer use that now, so you should change mysql to mysqli

Date: February 19, 2015 06:56AM

Yes, a complete new setup. I formatted the C: partition where I put Windows on.

WampServer has been installed over an existing folder (E;\wamp) in order to preserve folders and files I put there, using a setup file I saved on my hard drive the first time I installed it on Win7 a few months ago (wampserver2.5-Apache-2.4.9-Mysql-5.6.17-php5.5.12-64b). I also installed PHP and SQL from the Wamp menu and configured them to my needs. I'm not sure what other programs I need to install, or what I need to change about mysql. Clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: February 19, 2015 10:22AM

WampServer has been installed over an existing folder (E;\wamp) in order to preserve folders and files I put there

This could be your problem. That is a bad way to do a reinstall or upgrade.
Installing over the top will likely overwrite some important file within MySQL's own management.

Read this [forum.wampserver.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: February 19, 2015 10:55AM

It's the same version as it was before, same installer. So does it really matter if files get overwritten? Those few options that I've changed before, I've changed now as well, so there shouldn't be any differences.

Date: February 19, 2015 11:52AM

No it will overwrite the /wamp/bin/mysql/mysqlx.y.z/data/mysql database which holds all of MySQL's knowledge of databases/tables/users etc etc.

If your databases are MYISAM then there is a get out of jail free MAYBE option.

Complete steps 2 to 6 of that document link I posted above

2. Stop All Services.
3. Remove the Apache Service.
4. Remove the MySQL Service.
5. Exit WAMPServer.
6. Rename your current \wamp folder to \wamp_old (This is your backup. DONT FORGET THIS STEP)

Then install WAMPServer again.

Then copy the MYISAM databases from the old_wamp to the new

\wamp\bin\mysql\mysqlx.y.z\data\database1
\wamp\bin\mysql\mysqlx.y.z\data\database2
\wamp\bin\mysql\mysqlx.y.z\data\database3 etc

BUT ONLY IF THEY ARE MYISAM Databases

You should be able to get to these databases again, but the user accounts you created, if any, will not be there. `root` will be the only account that exists.

If your databases are INNODB It is not that simple, and you are going to have to hit the books to work out a recovery process.

And in future, Backup your databases it takes a minute, but saves hours.
Remember, you are now the SysAdmin/DBAdmin/Ops Manager and the developer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: Niek66 (---.direct-adsl.nl)
Date: February 20, 2015 12:08AM

i had that problem to after i downloaded and installated wampserver 2.5 al my scripts with mysql does not working anymore with because the server works only with mysqli, and php5.5 or more

So if your scripts are using php5.4 or lower and mysql then it does not working with wamp 2.5

Date: February 20, 2015 12:41AM

Niek66, I have no idea what Joomla 3 uses. I'd suspect it's latest.

The thing is, it all worked fine before I had to install Windows - same setup file, same versions.

Date: February 20, 2015 12:51AM

RiggsFolly, thanks for that post.

After a day messing around with things, here's what I've done and learned.

I copied all my files and folders, stopped and removed all services, uninstalled Wamp... and then started all over again.... clean install, configuring from scratch, and then started adding one thing at the time.

I've found out that my DBs are in fact InnoDB files, and from what I could tell, they've been destroyed. Myphpadmin lists all databases and their tables, but if I tried doing anything with them (mere testing), it would prompt that they're missing.
Eventually, I ended up exporting a database for one website from a live server, so I got one back. The other, however, the one that I was still working on, at this moment seems to be lost - or at least I don't know how to get it back - and if there is no solution for that, I can kiss a few weeks worth of work goodbye, and I'll have to start all over from scratch... save for the template, which I still have.

What saddens me is that this was the reason why I started looking into how to work on things locally. I thought that would eliminate things getting lost because of server crashes and whatnot. I guess I haven't learned anything from my past experiences. "Backup a backup of a backup" seems to apply to this as well.

Anyway, if anyone still has any suggestions, please let me know. I'm willing to try most things to get that second database back.

Date: February 20, 2015 10:22AM

INNODB databases are basically better than MYISAM i.e. they allow the use of transactions and rollback etc. But they are therefore more complex, and the recovery from error's does need to be understood and hopefully practiced before an actual bad event happens. Backups make it so much easier to recover from bad event.

With INNODB databases the table definitions or at least a part of them are stored in mysqlx.y.z/data/databasename. This is why phpMyAdmin appears to see the database. However the data and some of the schema definitions are stored in the mysqlx.y.z/data/ib_data1 file. In fact all INNODB databases are stored in that one file ( unless you altear the configuration ). So if you loose or damage that file, recovery without a backup becomes a serious job.

There are some helpful tutorials out there on the web, but as each situation is so specific to the actual occurance you are going to have to try a few and see if any work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.