SOLVED- To WAMP... or not to? Target: local devel
Posted by: Sheepdog (---.as13285.net)
Date: July 16, 2016 10:57AM

In another post in the forum... yes, I do search for existing answers, before starting a "new" topic!... I read...

> Wampserver is and will remain a local development server.

I've used WAMP for years... but only in a very limited way. I mostly use the Apache part, but also use MySQL locally, with Open Office as my front end.

All I'm doing with Apache is serving up some static pages. I modify those pages "directly", by external programs which simply replace the .htm files from time to time. (Some .jpgs displayed on the pages also change, again just by simple file overwrites.)

And I want those .htm files to be available to anyone on the internet. Which they have been, for years. I have twinges of conscience from time to time: I've opened a door into my LAN, to let people in to collect the .htm, without REALLY knowing what I'm doing... but I think I've got away with it to date.

===
SO! To get to the question... When I read "remain a local development server", it makes me wonder if I am missing something.

I think of WAMP as an extremely user-friendly way to get Apache, MySQL and PHP (which I don't use, but know I would like, if I just got my act together!) onto a machine. And it provides some great tools for managing various elementary things.

Am I not using a "real" Apache? Is Apache itself only suitable for local development?

My guess? (Which I offer as a starting point for answers... ) Is the "Wampserver is a (only) local development server" advice just there to warn people that if they want to MANANGE complex Apache installations, they will need more advanced tools than those offered by WAMP? Is an Apache installation created with WAMP somehow inappropriate for the sort of limited "site" I want to put online... and if so, how?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2016 01:22PM by Sheepdog.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: To WAMP... or not to? Target: local devel
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: July 16, 2016 11:54AM

Hi,

Is the "Wampserver is a (only) local development server" advice just there to warn people that if they want to MANANGE complex Apache installations, they will need more advanced tools than those offered by WAMP?
It means that:
- there are no specific tools for Wampserver become host,
- I do not have sufficient knowledge to do so,
- I will not be responsible in case of problems,
but that does not stop anyone who wants to use Wampserver as WAN or Intranet server but under their own responsibility and knowledge.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.