how can i contribute to WAMP?
Posted by: loursbourg (197.118.183.---)
Date: July 13, 2016 11:14AM

Hello everyone,
i want to help improve WAMP but source forge seems to be down for maintenance or something, is there any alternatives? a github/bitbucket repo or anything else?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how can i contribute to WAMP?
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: July 13, 2016 12:27PM

Hi,

No, Submit your suggestions here for review.

Your suggestions are more than welcome

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: loursbourg (197.118.101.---)
Date: July 14, 2016 03:35AM

Ok, since you said that i can submit my suggestions "here", i assume that i don't have to look for the right section of the forum and stuff.
Anyway, i had to browse the localhost remotely from a phone frequently to test the responsiveness of a website design, and it was a pain for me to zoom in everytime i wanted to tap the project link in the wamp's home page, so i tweaked it a bit to make it responsive so that i can easily navigate the links to the projects/ aliases and stuff.
Then i wondered why isn't the home page responsive by default?
I think it is time for wamp now to follow the river now. Almost all of my projects are responsive (if not all) . and i believe this is the case with the most of other wamp users, isn't it? so why isn't the wamp's index.php page responsive?

I've already optimized the home page to make it responsive using Bootstrap 3. and it looks now like this:

Notice that the project's links have more space around them. And are more touch screen friendly.
so what do you think guys?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2016 03:37AM by loursbourg.

Date: July 14, 2016 03:44AM

In its way its nice, maybe Oto will incorporate it as an optional homepage layout.

But I have to say, "why are you going via the WAMPServer home page when you want to run a site from any other device" it makes no sence!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: July 14, 2016 09:53AM

Hi,

I would not put an option to add or not localhost in the URL on the home page of Wampserver. It's a bad way to do. The right way is to use the VirtualHost and nothing else.
On the other hand, as RiggsFolly said, go through the home page of Wampserver to launch a site from an external device is quite bizarre.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: loursbourg (197.118.171.---)
Date: July 14, 2016 10:00PM

Otomatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> I would not put an option to add or not localhost
> in the URL on the home page of Wampserver. It's a
> bad way to do. The right way is to use the
> VirtualHost and nothing else.
> On the other hand, as RiggsFolly said, go through
> the home page of Wampserver to launch a site from
> an external device is quite bizarre.

For you, It is quite bizarre to go through the wamp's, however this is not the case for everyone else. Plus i see no harm from making it responsive, do you guys see any?

Talking about Virtualhosts, they are actually a very good solution if you are making a WEBSITE. But consider the fact that not every wamp user is necessarily developing a website, some are making mobile app front ends that work along with a php api, some are beginners who know not about Virtualhosts and stuff, some are not really in love with vhosts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2016 10:28PM by loursbourg.

Date: July 14, 2016 11:28PM

Using the WAMPServer homepage is a perfectly good idea when running a site you are playing with, a tutorial or some learning exercise.

However if you want to develop a site that will work in development the way it will on a live hosted environment then Virtual Hosting your development site is a far safer way of developing code that will run the same way on a live hosted server as it does while developing.

We see the unnecessary mistakes generated by not using a VH and unfortunately have to support those that make these unfortunate assumptions and mistakes.

As to using the WAMPServer homepage as a launch pad for a site from another device, that idea is just ridiculous and demonstrates your lack of understanding of web servers and networked environments.

So I think we can call a halt to this discussion as it appears we are having a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2016 05:14PM by RiggsFolly.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: July 15, 2016 04:11PM

Hi,

Wampserver is first and foremost designed to be a LOCAL development server and nothing else.
And for development of web site, it is played on a PC, not on a Smartphone or tablet. We verify that the Web site is correctly seen with a mobile, it is conceivable. But that we want to develop with a mobile is inconvevable.

Some want to use Wampserver as a production server or intranet server, I can understand, but Network Administrator is a profession that requires training and knowledge. It can work very well in Intranet or production server as it may not work at all and this without knowing why: Anti-Virus, Firewall, Windows updates, VC updates, network configuration, shared folders, etc. Numerous parameters come into to do that works.
If you want to make Wampserver a production server or a development server on mobile, up to you, but then, take the source and do it yourself, as you wish.
Regarding future versions of Wampserver, it will remain a local development server on PC, full stop.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.