Localhost stopped working after router/modem change
Posted by: jdsoohoo (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 22, 2016 11:42PM

Hi,

I had two perfectly working sites hosted locally - one via WAMPServer and one using IIS. However, after changing out my router/modem, localhost refuses to connect (when using both localhost and local ip address). However, PHPmyadmin still works. At first I thought it was because the local IP address changed when my router/modem was swapped out, but I updated the local IP address and still get the same issue.

I know it is not a server issue, since both my servers are giving the same refuse to connect error and were working previously. If it helps, when I try to access any of my sites externally, I get an ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT response. Any ideas would be useful. You can see a picture of the error I am getting here (as you can see my WAMPServer is still green): [db.tt]

Please let me know if anyone has ever experienced the same or if more info is needed to diagnose.

Thanks,
John

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2016 04:33AM by jdsoohoo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Localhost stopped working after router/modem change
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: June 26, 2016 06:17PM

Have you replaced the port forwarding in yout new router?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: developer68 (---.pkbgcmtk01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 27, 2016 03:45AM

Check your ports.

Posted by: jdsoohoo (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 27, 2016 06:39AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses. Yes I changed my port forwarding on my router. I checked again and they are all open and pointing toward my correct local ip addresses. From my limited understanding, port forwarding on my router shouldn't affect localhost access. If that is true, and the error was my forwarding, then I would be able to access my site locally but not remotely, right?

One of the the servers is on port 80, the other on 8080. Both ports are open and listening on respective servers.

Thanks again for the help,
John

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: June 27, 2016 11:19AM

Then is could be your Firewall blocking access.

When you install and first use WAMPServer, Apache normally causes any firewall to ask the question "Is it OK to allow access on port xxxx" Did you answer yes to this question, or have you manually amended your firewall?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.