PEAR - questions about installing it with WAMP
Posted by: SimonT (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 18, 2016 11:20PM

I found a PEAR package I'd like to run locally and so I have to install PEAR.

Does WAMP still support it - or perhaps I should ask, is PEAR still supported by PHP?

II found this post [forum.wampserver.com] about installing PEAR.

Is the information in that post still accurate?

If not, what changed and what do I need to do?

That post contains the sentence:

"Before you do this, make sure the pear stuff you want is compiled for 64 bit, otherwise you will have to install the 32bit wamp before you do this"

How would I determine if the "stuff" had been compiled for 64bit or 32bit so that I'd know with WAMP version to install PEAR under?

I posted another post asking about installing both the 32 bit and 64 bit WAMP versions - [forum.wampserver.com]

I have the 64 bit installed and working, have had it for some time now, and I I have downloaded the 32 bit version (x86) but I will not install it until I get an answer to my post about having them both installed on they same system.

Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PEAR - questions about installing it with WAMP
Posted by: LivingThis (---.cm-6-1d.dynamic.ziggo.nl)
Date: June 22, 2016 10:32AM

Im very curious if you managed to install PEAR next to WAMP Zend.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: June 22, 2016 11:01AM

Hi,

It is strongly recommended (understatement) not to mix 32-bit and 64 bit. This is valid for PHP extensions, Apache modules, the Apache version, PHP and MySQL.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: SimonT (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 22, 2016 09:55PM

Otomatic - Okay - I'll stick with one or the other.

But, in the post [forum.wampserver.com] you told me it was okay to have both installed provided I don't run them at the same time.

LivingThis - Not sure want you mean by "WAMP Zend" - I got Pear working on a WAMP 32 bit installation (I've not tried it on a 64bit version.) I just followed the installation instructions at via [pear.php.net]

I installed a Pear package and I am able to use it.

I don't intend to use it in production - for one thing I don't know if my hosting company has it installed and I'm not sure about installation packages on a server which I do not control and thus can't make any changes to PHP except for my copy of the .ini file.

I just checked, they have Pear installed but not the package I want to use.

That's okay since I'm using some PHP code and a package to make some special web pages for use on other sites. I don't need to run the package anywhere but locally.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.