Can't open existing websites after changing port on localhost
Posted by: shivajimali (202.91.143.---)
Date: September 26, 2014 12:28PM

Hi,

I had installed wampser and created one site on localhost. Now I had installed SQL server on my machine due to which I had to change my port for wampserver. After changing the port number and completing necessary changes wampserver started working. I can open new website but I can not open the existing websites which I had created on local host.
For example:
Before changing port I created website "firstwebsite" at C:\wamp\www\firstwebsite
Now after changing the port I can not open this site. A blank page appears. Event if I specify the port number along with localhost like "localhost:8888\firstwebsite" it does not open.
If I create new website by copying wordpress directory and renaming it works. Why it does not open websites which were created before changing the port?

Thanks,
Shivaji

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can't open existing websites after changing port on localhost
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: September 26, 2014 01:42PM

Hi Shivaji,

Its not a WampServer issue its an, I dont understand Wordpress thing.

Wordpress stores the siteurl in its database, in a number of places, when you install it. If you change the port number used by Apache after installing WP it stops working because the url

www.mysite.com

no longer matches the new url

www.mysite.com:8888

Actually the best idea is to either disable SQL Server Reporting Services if you are not actually using it ( thats what uses port 80 ) or re-configure it to use another port, see how to do that here How To: Stop SQL Server Reporting Services from using Port 80 on your Server

Then you can go back to using port 80 for Apache, afterall its best to keep Apache as near to the state it will be in when you copy sites up to a live environment, especially with WP. On that subject I hope you have created a Virtual Host for each of your WP sites as that also makes the process of moving them to a live environment VERY MUCH easier.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2014 01:44PM by RiggsFolly.

Server not found Firefox can't find the server at www.test_matrimony.com.
Posted by: B. Chandrasekhara Rao (---.beamtele.net)
Date: October 01, 2014 09:15AM

My wamp server is working properly and had no issues, but when i load my running website firefozx shows as under. please provide solutions for that.
Thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.test_matrimony.com.

Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of www.example.com
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Re: Can't open existing websites after changing port on localhost
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: October 01, 2014 10:09AM

Hello B. Chandrasekhara Rao,

There could be many reasons for this issue, but as I am not clairvoyant I have no idea which one it might be.

Can you start by answering these questions please, so I have a bit of an idea what we are dealing with.
READ THIS BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION

If you are tryingto run the site using www.test_matrimony.com then maybe you could show me the Virtual Host definition that defines this virtual host doman anf the hosts file as well please.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.