Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: configuring vhosts and phpmyadmin
Posted by: rpjd (37.228.254.---)
Date: June 19, 2016 03:12AM

I went back to the point of having no vhosts. I added 1 project, uncommented the vhosts include in httpd.conf, enabled the vhosts sub-menu, then added two vhosts, one for localhost and one for the project I added. I restarted DNS. Icon is green no errors. When I click on the project vhost I get
Not Found
The requested URL / was not found on this server.
Apache/2.4.17 (Win64) PHP/5.6.16 Server at jobsearch Port 80
There must be some config I'm missing re apache I'm thnking. The hosts file has
127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost
1270.0.1 jobsearch
::1 jobsearch

On a completely separate and off-topic issue, why is the 'Email me about replies to this topic' not working? I have it ticked but haven't had any email alerts. Just wondering.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SimonT (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 20, 2016 01:57AM

As to the "enabled the vhosts sub-menu"

Sorry, I left that out of my instructions for creating a virutal host.

As to: " uncommented the vhosts include in httpd.conf"

Why did you make a change to that file? I've never had to make a change there to create a usable virtual host.

You said "then added two vhosts, one for localhost and one for the project I added"

How did you create them - via the Add Virtual Host page?

Why did you create one for localhost?

You only need to make a virtual host for the site you want to access, not localhost.

If you created the virtual hosts via WAMP icon -> Localhost -> Add a Virtual Host (on the WAMP "local home page"winking smiley

- what name did you give the virtual host?

- what path did you specify for the virutal host?

Look - the best way to way for you to get up and running is to start from scratch. Far too many changes have been made and I can't begin to be clear what you have changed, where, and what the changes actually are.

1 - backup your sites you have put in directories under WAMP (www) export any databases. The un-install will empty the WAMP directory except for the actual un-install program, which can't easily delete itself. You will lose anything you put in anywhere under the WAMP directory - specifically any web site files and MySQL datasbase - so backup the site files and Export the database using phpMyAdmin.

Here's how you Export a MySQL file using the WAMP Manager (the WAMP icon):

a - WAMP icon -> phpMySQL You will be asked to enter the user and password by phpMyAdmin. The default user after installing WAMP is "root" and the default password is blank, that is, no password was specified. Use those values unless you have changed them. If you changed them, use whatever values you changed them to.

b - Once phpMyAdmin is running, click on the database in the left hand panel. You should then see the database information in the right hand panel with a line of buttons at the top. Export is one of them.

c - click Export. Then click GO. A browser window will be opened asking you where to save the file - specify the location. Maybe make a separate directory on your HDD for it. DO NOT put it in anywhere under the WAMP directory because the un-install will delete it.

d - the Export should complete successfully, I've never had any trouble. If there are problems, tell me what happen.

e - repeat a thorujgh c for any other databases you created.

f - you can close the browser window in which phpMyAdmin was running.

Now continue with the steps to un-install and re-install WAMP:

2 - Un-install for WAMP - on my system that was installed under the Wampserver64 Start Menu folder. Run it, after making the backups, and let it un-install WAMP.

3 - Just to be safe, down load the latest copy of WAMP - 32 or 64 bit according to what you want to use. My understanding is that the 64 bit version is for using PHP 7. I advise that you not jump to PHP 7 but stay on a PHP 5 release.

4 - Run the downloaded WAMP to reinstall WAMP.

5 - Put your site back in a directory under the WAMP www subdirectory and import your MySQL exports.

6 - Start WAMP

7 - Enable the vhosts sub-menu (sorry I left that out, I forgot about it)

8 - Left click the WAMP then click Localhost, then click the Add Virtual Host link on the WAMP local host page (which I think of as the WAMP local home page)

9 - Enter the name of the site as the virutal host name. I recommend making it the same as the subdirectory of the www directory where you put your web site files - mywebsite for example

10 - enter the exact, full path to the directory where you put your web site files.

If put them in a directory you created named mywebsite, which is a subdirectory of the WAMP www directory, and you are running on the C drive, enter:

c:/wamp/www/mywebsite OR

c:/wamp94/www/mywebsite if you installed WAMP 3 in its default directory.

11 - Click the Start the creation..." button. on the Add Virtual Host page.

12 - Restart the DNS -- right click the WAMP icon -> Tools -> Restart DNS

13 - open your browser and type the name of the virtual host in the address bar and press Enter. You should see your site's default page, such as index.html

If not - come back and tell me what happens, exactly what happens.

I know that un-installed WAMP and re-installing it seems like a lot of work, but if you do so and follow my steps, above, and do nothing else, I will know that no other changes have been made and we can easily investigate any problems.

It does not really take very long to un-install WAMP and run the installation again. If you continue to make changes, you will only go further into the swamp of problems.

Un-install and re-install WAMP to start from scratch.

Do so, and tell me the result.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: June 27, 2016 12:00PM

Can you please answer these question so we know something about your setup before attempting an answer.

Read before you ask a question

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.