virtual hosts
Posted by: rpjd (37.228.254.---)
Date: June 15, 2016 12:45PM

I am using WAMP on Windows 10. I have 7 hosts including localhost listed in vhosts using 127.0.0.1 HostName, and a virtual host for each in httpd-vhosts.conf using <VirtualHost *.80> DocumentRoot "c:\wamp\www\HostName" ServerName HostName ServerAlias HostName </VirtualHost>. I can access the files for 4 of the 6 from localhost, but I am getting a DNS error for the other 2. I can't figure out why only 4 are working. I've checked the spelling. Any help appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: virtual hosts
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: June 15, 2016 12:51PM

Hi,

Please answer to READ BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION

Then:
- content of C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file
- content of wamp\bin\apache\apache2.4.xx\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf

What is the result of:
- Right-click Wampmanager tray icon -> Tools -> Show VirtualHost examined by Apache

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: June 15, 2016 01:00PM

WampServer 2.5, Apache 2.4.9, PHP 5.5.12, MySQL 5.6.17, phpmyadmin 4.1.14
Right-Click on Wampserver Icon displays About| Refresh|Help|Language|Exit. Tools not listed.

Date: June 15, 2016 01:22PM

Wampserver icon is green.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: June 15, 2016 02:23PM

Hi,

It makes me despair!
If you do not answer the questions, how do you get help!

And why have installed Wampserver 2.5 that is two years old, while the latest version of WampServer is 3.0.4: WAMPserver 3 - All you need to know

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: SimonT (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 16, 2016 12:29AM

I believe that Otomatic referred you to [forum.wampserver.com] so that you would know how to post a question and that you need to provide detailed information for use to work with.

He then indicated that he wanted you to post the contents of two files for me to see;

"- content of C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file
- content of wamp\bin\apache\apache2.4.xx\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf

So please put the contents of those two files in a reply and perhaps we can help you."

We are not physic and can't read you mind or see the files on our system

And he asked

"What is the result of:
- Right-click Wampmanager tray icon -> Tools -> Show VirtualHost examined by Apache"

You say that doing the right click on the WAMP icon results in a menu without a "Tools" entry - is that what you said?

If so, what version of WAMP do you have installed. -- Wait, I see he told, in his last reply, that you are running a two year old version of WAMP - upgrade to the latest --- particular as you are on the latest version of Windows. I don't know for sure, but there could be problems with old versions of WAMP and Windows 10.

One last thing, WAMP was created and supported by people in France. Their English is vastly better than my French (I can at understand a menu in French - well, maybe 15%) but occasionally they may word something in a way that is a tad strange to those whose first language is English.

Bear that in mind and take a bit more time trying to understand what they tell you and ask you.

To me, Otomatic clearly asked you to provide the entire contents of those files so that he could look at them.

If you resolve your problem, please come back and post a reply telling us how you fixed it. This may help people in the future and we will know you have it resolved and are able to use WAMP properly.

Date: June 16, 2016 06:52PM

Understood

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.