Best practice for working off 2 computers?
Posted by: orlando1974 (---.cable.teksavvy.com)
Date: September 14, 2014 02:45AM

Hi, I've installed WampServer on my desktop but occasionally will need to work off my laptop. This has made me wonder what the best solution for this is...

Example: If I edit a WordPress site on my desktop, then the local database there will be updated and then I will have to somehow export that onto an external drive or usb key, and import THAT onto my laptop installation to continue working... hmm, doesnt sound like a great workflow.

Could it be that the best solution in 2014 has now become to just work online all the time? Setup a development site with a secret URL?

I'd love to hear the community's thoughts on this...perhaps there is a solution I have not considered. I wondered if maybe its even possible to install the wamp stack on a key and just plug that into whatever computer im using?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best practice for working off 2 computers?
Posted by: arcticexplorer (---.fs.interNORTH.net)
Date: September 15, 2014 05:12PM

I attempted to install WAMP on a USB for the very same reasons you raised but it didn't work. Seems WAMP must be on top level directory of a host computer.

Re: Best practice for working off 2 computers?
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: September 15, 2014 05:53PM

Hi,

> I attempted to install WAMP on a USB for the very same reasons you raised but it didn't work.

If, when you installed WampServer on a USB stick, it was the drive letter G :, it is imperative that when you plug this key on another computer, the USB drive also has the drive letter G :.

Then just after launching WampServer from the USB key, create the two services wampapache and wampmysqld using Wampmanager menu and start the two services, again from the Wampmanager menu.

MANDATORY: The USB key MUST BE formatted NTFS.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2014 05:57PM by Otomatic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.