Sending email to gmail from within my computer.
Posted by: ToddASchroeder (156.99.18.---)
Date: July 31, 2014 10:32PM

Operating System - Windows 8.1
Wamp Server - 2.5
Apache - 2.4.9
MySQL - 5.6.17
PHP - 5.5.12

Wamp Manager Icon Color - Green

Is it possible to send mail from my contact form inside my website which only exists on my computer to my gmail account while using WAMP Server? Note: I do not have my website hosted on the Internet as of yet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sending email to gmail from within my computer.
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: July 31, 2014 11:26PM

No not really. Because windows does not come with a mailserver like unix.

Can I suggest you look at phpMailer, its a php library that make the sending of mail a lot easier and will work in WAMPServer and be easy to transpose to a live server when you get to that stage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: ToddASchroeder (156.99.18.---)
Date: August 07, 2014 07:04PM

Okay, I will set it up once I host my website. Thank you.

Posted by: hellopaul (---.range109-158.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 19, 2014 03:09PM

After wasting most of a day trying to "fix" this same glaring bug, I'm tempted to give up (I have the same non-sending of emails problem on my Wordpress site).

Does anyone out there happen to know if any of the other WAMP-type setups have this stupid bug? (Eg. XAMPP, AMPPS, etc)?

I started development of a complex Wordpress site on a Mac (with MAMP) and never had this problem. Is it just because Windoze is a pile of rubbish and shouldn't ever be used for anything more advanced than creating flyers for a yard sale?

I have ploughed through long and ludicrously technical sites trying to find how to fix this bug, and feel rather miffed at having to spend hours trying to fix such a fundamental error in the software.

- Paul

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: August 19, 2014 04:24PM

Hi Paul,

Please do not confuse your inabilities with those of Windows or WAMPServer.
I know its frustrating when using an OS you are not that familiar with, I feel that same about UBUNTU but I also realise the muppet in the equasion is ME! and not UBUNTU.

Windows desktop systems do not come with a mailserver, MAC's are unix servers with a desktop strapped over it, and therefore come with a mail server

Image the SPAM we would get if any of the 2 Billion Windows users had an onboard mail server. It does not bear thinking about.

Anyway, to your problem.

If you want a mail server and feel capable of configuring one you could try hMailer Downloadable from here AND ITS FREE

I use it and its great once you have it setup. I can send emails in a tesing environment and be sure they never ever get out of my network. I can use Outlook or similiar mail clients to get/view the emails I send. Basically it the dogs'

If you just want to be able to send mail from windows PHP using an existing SMTP mail account like Googlemail or Yahoo mail there is a great little Library called phpMailer Downloadable from here AND ITS FREE
As I said its a PHP library so you basically just instantiate a class and fill in the parameters and say send.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2014 04:28PM by RiggsFolly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.