Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Install did not install Apache Service
Posted by: Alan Bristow (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 12:25AM

Skype was the culprit in my case.

I wasted 30 hours entirely re-building my Win box to find this out. But at least it means windows will wheeze a little less the fresh install winking smiley

Good luck to those who are still suffering and where Skype is not the answer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tammy (---.vs.shawcable.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 05:32AM

Same problems here. I don't have Skype either. Both the Apache start and stop menu items are greyed out... I don't get it.

I just uninstalled a previous version of WAMP (that worked perfectly) to upgrade, and now nothing is working. To say I'm not impressed is an understatement.

Posted by: Tammy (---.vs.shawcable.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 05:56AM

Never mind... I got it working. I uninstalled, stopped the service "IIS Admin", and reinstalled. Works great now. Check your services if you're still having trouble!

Posted by: mjkalicharan (59.92.152.---)
Date: February 07, 2006 11:08AM

UnInstall/Stop IIS
UnInstall/Stop Any other server running in back ground.

This will work.Rick Mason wrote:

Posted by: mjkalicharan (59.92.152.---)
Date: February 07, 2006 11:08AM

UnInstall/Stop IIS
UnInstall/Stop Any other server running in back ground.

This will work

Posted by: Sheri (63.75.14.---)
Date: February 08, 2006 06:49PM

I have the same problem: apache is not installed as a windows service. I can start apache manually using apache.exe. I tried shutting down anything I thought might be a server, unintstalling wampserver, and reinstalling wampserver... I do not have skype, iis or zone alarm installed in the first place. Does anyone have any other tips about exactly what "servers" need to be shut down? I am running WinXP SP2.

Thanks much for any help.

Posted by: Sheri (63.75.14.---)
Date: February 08, 2006 07:57PM

I found a solution. When I installed wampserver and tried to start wampapache as a Windows service, I got this error:
"Windows could not start the wampapache on Local Computer. Form more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 1."

Apache error log was empty.

However I found errors in: Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Services > Event Viewer > Application.
"The Apache service named reported the following error:
>>> DocumentRoot must be a directory ."

I had originally set the DocumentRoot to a location on the network, not on the local machine. So, I reset the following two lines in the httpd.conf config file:
DocumentRoot "c:/wamp/www"
<Directory "c:/wamp/www">

Then, apache started up like a dream. So, you need to make sure your wamp files are on the same box as the server is installed on. To check this, you can point the DocumentRoot to the default location (assuming you installed wamp to the default location that is) and try it out. c:\wamp\www

I still want to keep my files on the network though, so I tried to install an alias using the wampserver menu, but it did not work for non-local directories--as soon as a non-local alias location is added, apache does not start again. I also tried adding a VirtualHost with the network location. I tried using both a mapped drive address and a direct network address (i.e. //servername/path). If anyone knows if it's possible to add a networked location to wampapache, let me know!

Posted by: yurasan (192.76.172.---)
Date: February 11, 2006 09:05AM

Totally agree! "I got it working. I uninstalled, stopped the service "IIS Admin", and reinstalled. Works great now. Check your services if you're still having trouble!"
Works for me. Thanks!

Posted by: janci (---.sh.cvut.cz)
Date: February 11, 2006 12:13PM

I found what may be the problem.

I found out that the httpd.conf file has it's content written agian and again (3 times for me),
i just found the first repeaded line in the config and deleted rest of the file. Works fine now.
Even if this is not the cause of the problem, this is a serious bug.

The installation of service probably requires apache config to be valid, so it did not work, and uninstall-install could have fix it for most of you.

Anybody to confirm this?

Posted by: yurasan (---.desy.de)
Date: February 12, 2006 01:11AM

In answer to "Author: janci" I didn't find any repeatings in specified config file - httpd.conf.

In addition to my previous message: stopping "IIS Admin" service helps to install WAMP server. Apache works fine even after I started "IIS Admin" again. But when I want to restart WAMP server from scratch ( in case of rebooting mashine ) Apache doesn't start properly!
I have to stop "IIS Admin" service each time I whant to restart computer!

Any ideas?

The mentioned problem with skype is ( to my opinion ) complitely different story.
Skype and Apache both listening to port :80. I can belive that during installation process it could cause a problem - having skype up and running.

Posted by: sabin (220.248.71.---)
Date: February 12, 2006 07:49AM

i give up....nothing is working....m going to IIS and install PHP from there...so frustrating!!

Posted by: Trakker (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 04:58PM

Temporarily disconnect from the net and Disable utilities like Kerio and Norton then re-install.

Posted by: kirti (---.cable.ubr03.newm.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: February 14, 2006 10:55PM

oh my days! I spent ages trying to work out what the hell was wrong. none of my services were working. I uninstalled and re-installed wampserver over 50 times. i don't have IIS and skype. so finally i shut down msn messenger and norton anti virus and guess what IT WORKS!! Phewwwwwww.....

good luck guys who still can' make it work. trakker is right disable all the utilities. no other service should be running at all.

Posted by: kirti (---.cable.ubr03.newm.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: February 14, 2006 10:56PM

uninstall wampserver
stop all services
install wampserver
hopefully fingers crossed it should work

Posted by: amir shanaei (85.133.132.---)
Date: February 27, 2006 06:09AM

My problem was the apache didnt start its service.
I had IIS 5.1 installed.once I unistall it , apache started to work well.

Success! All services are running..
Posted by: chucky (---.skyinet.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 08:24AM

Hey guys.. I'm only a newbie in wamp.. Almost two days of research until i run my wamp server.. if your apache is not running, just uninstall your iis if there is... gud luck-- chucky fro philippines-

Posted by: hector (70.134.145.---)
Date: February 27, 2006 08:30AM

same here

Posted by: christopher lorne (---.pec.co.uk)
Date: February 27, 2006 03:56PM

The "listen" directive instructs Apache to listen to one or more IP addresses or ports, by default it is set to 80 -web server.

If you think there is a conflict with another programme change the HTTP config file to read

listen 8080

If Apache works then you know there is a conflict if not look somewhere else.

If there is a conflict and you are using XP and running Skype turn off the alternative incoming connections - go to:

Skype - tools - options - connections

Good luck

Posted by: Terry Sutton (---.pppoe-dynamic.nl.aliant.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 02:56AM

Spent a LONG time at this.

1. Completely remove C:/Wamp
2. Restart computer
3. Run Wamp setup

The httpd file was repeating itself over and over (with each new install) -- so the C:/Wamp folder needs to be removed completely. This, for me, is why whenever I'd install Wamp I'd never get Apache going.

Further, If you get Apache installed and can't get it going, go to Control Panel, Admin Tools, Services and try starting apachewamp. When you get the error, go into Control Panel, Admin, Event Viewer, Applications, and look at the log entry for it. I found this log very handy.

Posted by: prakash (---.oliveglobal.com)
Date: February 28, 2006 01:33PM

The same thing happened to me as well. Please suggest the remedy

Prakash

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.