Can't get .htaccess and URL rewriting to work in Wamp server 3.0
Posted by: sm (101.184.2.---)
Date: May 27, 2016 07:03AM

I have just installed Wamp Server 3.0 and have confirmed that the Apache "rewrite_module" is definitely ticked. I set up a virtual host and installed an Akeeba backup of a live site onto the Wamp Server. The site will not work with the .htaccess file (returns an error message), but will load if the .htaccess file is deleted. I know next to nothing about Apache but after Googling I tried changing line 246 of the httpd.conf from "AllowOverride none" to "AllowOverride all" but this made no difference.

This same site worked fine (with URL rewriting) on Wampserver 2.5 with the exact same .htaccess file.

I checked the Apache error log and got this: C:/wamp64/www/sitename/.htaccess: Invalid command 'IndexIgnore', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

I've been Googling for hours but can't find how I should fix this.

The htaccess.txt file is the standard one shipped with Joomla (unaltered except for changing the file name to .htaccess) and says:

:
## No directory listings
IndexIgnore *

## Can be commented out if causes errors, see notes above.
Options +FollowSymlinks
Options -Indexes

## Mod_rewrite in use.

RewriteEngine On

I really don't know what I am supposed to change, if anything, or if there is some other change needed in the httpd.conf file. I tried taking out the "##" in front of No directory listings in the .htaccess file but that did not work. I am really just guessing. Can anyone help?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can't get .htaccess and URL rewriting to work in Wamp server 3.0
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: May 27, 2016 01:27PM

Ok so lets start by asking what version of Joomla you are using

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: May 27, 2016 02:37PM

Hi,

> (returns an error message)

You should know that your error messages do not arrive directly in our mailboxes.
Also, the best way to try to solve your problem is to post here, correct and complete error message.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: May 27, 2016 08:21PM

Hi,

Joomla version is 3.5.1 and I am on Windows 7.

The error message that Wamp returns is:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at admin@example.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache/2.4.17 (Win64) PHP/5.6.16 Server at sitename Port 80

The full Apache error message is:

[core:alert] [pid 5880:tid 888] [client ::1:56154] C:/wamp64/www/sitename/.htaccess: Invalid command 'IndexIgnore', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration, referer: [sitename]

As mentioned, if I delete the .htaccess file the site will load, but of course, then URL rewriting will not work.

Thanks

Date: May 28, 2016 09:26AM

Hi,

> .htaccess: Invalid command 'IndexIgnore', perhaps misspelled
> or defined by a module not included in the server configuration...
[httpd.apache.org]
Apache module autoindex_module must be loaded.

Wampmanager tray icon -> Apache -> Apache modules -> autoindex_module

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: May 28, 2016 10:20AM

Wonderful, works! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Date: May 28, 2016 10:48AM

Hi,

Pay close attention to the error messages is of utmost importance.

I do not know why you had this error, but the message says well what it is:
- Either a bad syntax command "'IndexIgnore".
- Either a missing module.

Then simply go see the Apache documentation (Links are in signing RiggsFolly and mine as well as the homepage of Wampserver) then watch the command "IndexIgnore" and here we can see that it requires the autoindex module.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.