Wampserver Orange / Apache not functioning!
Posted by: cooper_cronk (---.2-1.cable.virginm.net)
Date: July 15, 2014 02:38PM

Hi all,

I have been using Wampserver, on my Windows 8 laptop, for the past two weeks and I haven't experienced any issues but today the icon has turned to orange and I can't access the Apache server.

When I test port 80, the command line states that "Your port 80 is not actually used...".

I am not running skype or ISS and as per the above message it appears that port 80 is free to be used?

I have tried altering the phpmyadmin.conf file per suggestions on this forum but nothing has worked!

I have tried removing Apache and installing again but this doesn't work either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

(Edit...sorry the versions I have are - Apache 2.4.9 / PHP 5.5.12 / MySQL 5.6.17!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2014 02:40PM by cooper_cronk.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wampserver Orange / Apache not functioning!
Date: July 15, 2014 05:43PM

The error message I continue to get on Windows Event Viewer is...

"The Apache service named

reported the following error: >>>
httpd.exe: Syntax error on line 549 of C:/wamp/bin/apache/apache2.4.9/conf/httpd.conf: Syntax error on line 26 of C:/wamp/alias/phpmyadmin.conf: </Directory> without matching <Directory> section "

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: July 15, 2014 06:54PM

OK, question 1. Have you played with httpd.conf ?

According to my verision line 549 of httpd.conf is

#RequestHeader unset DNT env=bad_DNT

Which is commented out, so I guess you have!

LET SEE YOUR LINE 549 of httpd.conf

Also Line 26 of phpmyadmin.conf is a comment?

LETS SEE YOUR LINE 26 of phpmyadmin.conf

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2014 11:56AM by RiggsFolly.

Date: July 15, 2014 07:47PM

Thanks for responding! I hadn't played with it until I changed Request local to Request all granted in the phpmyadmin.conf but I changed it back to exactly the way it was and it still wouldn't work.

I only have 547 lines in my httpd.conf file? The last two lines are as below:

#IncludeOptional "c:/wamp/vhosts/*"
Include "c:/wamp/alias/*"

My phpmyadmin.conf file is copied and pasted in below -

Alias /phpmyadmin "c:/wamp/apps/phpmyadmin4.1.14/"

# to give access to phpmyadmin from outside
# replace the lines
#
# Require local
#
# by
#
# Require all granted

#
<Directory "c:/wamp/apps/phpmyadmin4.1.14/">
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride all
<IfDefine APACHE24>
Require local </IfDefine>
<IfDefine !APACHE24>
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
Allow from localhost 127.0.0.1
</IfDefine>
php_admin_value upload_max_filesize 128M
php_admin_value post_max_size 128M
php_admin_value max_execution_time 360
php_admin_value max_input_time 360
</Directory>

Thanks for your help.

Date: July 15, 2014 08:01PM

The specific error message and the part of the file it concerns are listed below:

" The Apache service named

reported the following error: >>>
httpd.exe: Syntax error on line 237 of C:/wamp/bin/apache/apache2.4.9/conf/httpd.conf: </Directory/> without matching <Directory/> section"

Line 237 is listed below at </Directory/>....

# First, we configure the "default" to be a very restrictive set of
# features.
</Directory/> AllowOverride none
Require all denied
</Directory>

Date: July 16, 2014 12:26AM

It should be

<Directory /> 
AllowOverride none
Require all denied
</Directory>

be careful when you play with the config files, and if in doubt there is always the manual, radical I know, but maybe it will catch on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2014 11:57AM by RiggsFolly.

Date: July 16, 2014 01:58PM

Thanks, the wamp icon is now green but another issue has arisen. I can access the index of php files at localhost/android_connect and I can see a list of the php files contained but when I run them I just see the php code behind. The php error log has the following message...

"[16-Jul-2014 11:22:32 UTC] PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library 'c:/wamp/bin/php/php5.5.12/ext/php_intl.dll' - The specified module could not be found.

in Unknown on line 0"

I've searched online and tried pasting the above mentioned file into the Apache - Bin folder but this hasn't seemed to fix anything.

When I try and run phpmyadmin from the wampserver tray or at http:localhost:80/phpmyadmin, it gives me the following error message...

"Not Found

The requested URL /phpmyadmin/ was not found on this server."

Any ideas as to what the issue could be? I haven't done anything with any of the php files, the only things I had altered previously was the apache httpd.conf file but it appears to be working fine now due to the green icon.

Date: July 16, 2014 02:30PM

This is going to sound odd but it works/

Use the wampmanager menu system and do

wampmanager -> Apache -> Version ... and click on the version number.

This should go through the switch process part of which will be to create the SYNLINKS to the required other files used by php_intl so the erro rwill go away.

The other issue: Seeing php code in the browser

This can be a number of thing :-

1. You are doubleclicking on the filename using Explorer and not using the browser to launch the script file.

2. The script file does not have a .php extension, usually this is people trying to run a .html file which wont work

3. Your php code is written with short_tags i.e. <? .... ?> and not the more universally transportable <?php ... ?>

If you want to use short_tags you will have to make a small chnage to the PHP.INI file.
using the wampmanager menus do ::

wampmanager->PHP->php.ini to open the correct ini file in notepad
find
short_open_tag = Off

and change it to
short_open_tag = On

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2014 02:31PM by RiggsFolly.

Date: July 16, 2014 03:00PM

Thanks for all your help, RiggsFolly, unfortunately I tried clicking the version number but it is still returning 404 not found. I refreshed wampmanager and restarted my laptop but alas no luck.

Regarding the php, I'm opening them directly from the index on the browser so I don't believe that the above errors would apply to this situation?

Update - I've just checked the Apache Error log and the following have accompanied an attempt to access phpmyadmin...

"[Wed Jul 16 14:05:06.828021 2014] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 5856:tid 476] AH00422: Parent: Received shutdown signal -- Shutting down the server.
[Wed Jul 16 14:05:08.872277 2014] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 8924:tid 424] AH00364: Child: All worker threads have exited.
[Wed Jul 16 14:05:08.963287 2014] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 5856:tid 476] AH00430: Parent: Child process 8924 exited successfully.
[Wed Jul 16 14:05:18.909539 2014] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 4244:tid 468] AH00455: Apache/2.4.9 (Win64) PHP/5.5.12 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Wed Jul 16 14:05:18.910537 2014] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 4244:tid 468] AH00456: Apache Lounge VC11 Server built: Mar 16 2014 12:42:59
[Wed Jul 16 14:05:18.910537 2014] [core:notice] [pid 4244:tid 468] AH00094: Command line: 'c:\\wamp\\bin\\apache\\apache2.4.9\\bin\\httpd.exe -d C:/wamp/bin/apache/apache2.4.9'
[Wed Jul 16 14:05:18.925541 2014] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 4244:tid 468] AH00418: Parent: Created child process 1668
[Wed Jul 16 14:05:21.135812 2014] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 1668:tid 392] AH00354: Child: Starting 64 worker threads."

I'm very confused because the wampserver icon is green so I was thinking that the server was working fine?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2014 03:09PM by cooper_cronk.

Date: July 16, 2014 04:07PM

Ok those message in the Apache error log are normal startup and shutdown messages. If you read them you will see there is nothing terrible being reported!

You did not mention if you checked for short tags in your PHP code?

Date: July 16, 2014 04:12PM

; short_open_tag
; Default Value: On
; Development Value: Off
; Production Value: Off

Those are the values in the php ini file?

I'm very new to php but I don't think I'm using short tags they all begin with <?php... and end with ?>

I did look over the messages but thought because they were in the error log they were something to be concerned about. Thankfully not.

Date: July 17, 2014 01:29AM

That is the informational comments at the top of the ini file.

Do another search, its at roughly line 200.

Date: July 17, 2014 11:21AM

; Default Value: On
; Development Value: Off
; Production Value: Off
; [php.net]
short_open_tag = Off

The short tags are off but I'm not using them I don't think? I changed the value to on there and ran the php script again but there was no difference - still just code coming up.

Is it possible to uninstall php and install it again on wampserver? It seems like Apache and MySQL are working fine now but php doesn't even seem to be picked up by the other services? Thanks again for all your help so far.

Date: July 17, 2014 11:58AM

Ok

I give up, lets do this ina way where I can actually see whats going on.

Install TeamViewer and I will troubleshoot for you.

Install TV, then run it.

Send me a Private Message containing the TV ID and PASSWORD so I can connect.
Leave TV running as it will change the password each time you restart it.

I am on UK time (GMT) and am normally available 09:00 - 16:00 and normally later into the evening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2014 11:59AM by RiggsFolly.

Date: July 17, 2014 12:08PM

PM sent. Thanks.

Date: July 17, 2014 02:18PM

Fixed - In case anyone has the same issues / has fiddled with configuration files - RiggsFolly was able to reinstall Wampserver to restore the correct configurations. I also had an issue with Chrome running the php - something to do with how it handles default extensions. The php scripts work on Firefox now, IE has an issue with Javascript.

Thanks very much RiggsFolly for spending so much time helping out!

Date: July 17, 2014 02:53PM

There seems to have been a issue with chrome [code.google.com]

Try updating to the latest release as that may fix it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.