Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Reinstalled WAMP but not reconnecting to database files
Posted by: DavidBorrink (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 13, 2016 01:14AM

My wife's PC has a WAMP installation with an archive setup of WordPress on it. It suddenly didn't work because a loss of the icon in the Aestan tray menu. I decided to uninstall and re-install. The uninstall left a WAMP folder with WordPress and the Data folders. I then installed a new copy of WAMP.

The new installation has a mysql 5.6.17 folder. It installed right next to the old 5.6.12 folder in the bin folder. I need to move the data folder to the 5.6.17 folder, obviously. So I first made a copy of the 5.6.17 folder and put it aside. Next I copied the contents of the 5.6.12 data folder (which was the wordpress tables folder, and several other files) over to the 5.6.17 data folder. Two file conflicts occured that I overwrote which may or may not be the problem, but I can restore the 5.6.17 folder back to what it was before I attempted this. ( I have backups of both the original 5.6.12 and 5.6.17 folders).

I launched WAMP and went to localhost/wordpress in my browswer and I get the "five minute installer" page. So the old data is not coming in.

I found a thread on the WordPress forums (https://wordpress.org/support/topic/database-recovery-with-only-a-folder-backup?replies=3) and his situation was almost identical to mine. He also had problem with Wamp due to a desinstallation of Aestan tray menu! His solution at the end was to edit the my.ini file so that it looked for the right data.

I went into my.ini in the 5.6.17 data folder and found this section below. What I did was edit the last few lines so that it now referenced the 5.6.12 folder instead of the 5.6.17 folder.

# The MySQL server
[wampmysqld]
port = 3306
socket = /tmp/mysql.sock
key_buffer_size = 16M
max_allowed_packet = 1M
sort_buffer_size = 512K
net_buffer_length = 8K
read_buffer_size = 256K
read_rnd_buffer_size = 512K
myisam_sort_buffer_size = 8M
basedir=c:/wamp/bin/mysql/mysql5.6.12
log-error=c:/wamp/logs/mysql.log
datadir=c:/wamp/bin/mysql/mysql5.6.12/data

I tried to access localhost/wordpress again and I still have the five minute installer message. So obviously I'm not connecting correctly.

This is where I'm stuck. My WordPress is active, but I need to connect to the old data. Any insight would be helpful. All I need to do is connect to my old database.

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 01:16AM by DavidBorrink.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reinstalled WAMP but not reconnecting to database files
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: May 13, 2016 10:41AM

I hope you took a backup of the original WAMPServer install, did you?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: May 15, 2016 03:06AM

When I uninstalled the original WAMP, the wamp folder remained with three folders in it:

www - with the WordPress core files
bin - with the mysql 5.6.12 folder and all the database files
alias - with a few php files in it

So I have all the critical info. Other forums state that this is what's left behind in an uninstall.

I reinstalled and a new mysql 5.6.17 folder is created in the bin folder. My Wordpress files remained in the www folder after the new installation. I assume that wamp is working with the 5.6.17 folder and that I need to get the database files to work in the 5.6.17 folder or edit the my.ini file to look for the database in the 5.6.12 folder. You see in my note above that I tried that with an edit to my.ini. I did copy over files from 5.6.12 to 5.6.17 and there were two files I overwrote (can't remember which ones I did).

As I said above, I have backup files of the 5.6.12 folder and the 5.6.17 folder the way they were before I tried copying over the database files. I can go back to that and do this over. My reason for asking here is to clarify the right way to do this.

Date: May 15, 2016 05:17PM

I guess you were not aware of the inbuilt ability of wampserver of being able to switch between versions of MYSQL with the click of a menu.

left click wampmanager->MYSQL->version-> (pick one of the installed versions of MYSQL)

PS, this works for Apache and PHP as well, within various versioning limits.

I suggest you read this post Installing a new release of WAMPServer which applies to versions of WAMPServer up to 2.5

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: May 17, 2016 12:50AM

Hi Riggs,

I wasn't aware that a left-click allowed for changing between versions (as I'm more aware of the MAMP setup on a Mac). But that is nice. I can see how that would be very beneficial for WAMP users.

My wife's PC install ran it without problems for a couple years to house her archived posts for retreival if she wanted to re-use them in a public site. So I assumed we needed to uninstall and re-install to "fix this" since the tray menu was inoperative.

I'm guessing that I acted prematurely and did the uninstall. I did verify that the install left the wordpress files in the www folder and the data in the mysql folder so I thought I did okay and didn't lose my files.

I did a left click and saw the menu for changing installations, but the mysql 5.6.12 version isn't showing up as a choice under the mysql area. Onluy 5.6.17 shows up. I do have a mysql 5.6.12 folder in the bin folder right next to the 5.6.17 folder. The contents of the 5.6.12 folder are:

- data - a folder which contains a folder called "wordpress" an it's contents are the wp table files for the site, and a larger number of mysql-bin files (about 34 of them) with an auto.cnf file, a mysql-bin index file and a file with my wife's name which I can't look at this second.

- and a my.ini file

That's it. So the data is there, but I'm not connected to it. I'm concerned that somehow I messed up by doing the uninstall as I did. I'm guessing that there are important files that were in the 5.6.12 folder that WAMP need to talk to make the connection, and that just the data files alone aren't enough.

Date: May 17, 2016 09:27PM

Hi Riggs,

Because I was unable to access the site originally because the Aestan Tray menu failed, I had not remembered there was a menu, but I see it now in the new installation. That is a neat feature to have the ability to choose installations. I can see where that would be helpful. (I'm normally a MAMP user on my Mac, and my wife's PC didn't need attention til now so that's why I forgot about the menu).

When I left-click to choose, there is no option to choose the 5.6.12 folder even though it is still located in the bin folder inside of WAMP. Only the 5.6.17 installation is in the menu

That 5.6.12 folder contains:
- a folder called "data" containing a "wordpress" folder that has all the wp tables and site database, and auto.cnf file, a large number mysql-bin files (35), plus a Sallie.pid file
- a my.ini file

So it looks like I have all the data from the former site installation. I read that this info is what is left behind in an uninstall. So maybe I prematurely uninstalled in my confusion when the tray was unavailable. I don't know. But I do see evidence that the site files are all there. I just need to be able to connect to them.

Would I be guessing correctly that if I had more files in my 5.6.12 folder that matched what is in the 5.6.17 folder so that WAMP would recognize it?

My WordPress files are still located in the www folder and the wp-config file is there ready to recognize the database.

Any advice how to reconnect given my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Date: May 17, 2016 10:04PM

Does the mysql5.6.12 folder contain a file called `wampserver.conf?

If not copy the one from mysql.5.6.17 into mysql5.6.12 then exit and restart WampServer. Do you see 2 versions fo MYSQL ?

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: May 17, 2016 10:21PM

Hi,

Before switching to mysql 5.6.12, be sure that all paths inside my.ini of 5.6.12 are correct relative to the installation folder.

Sorry for the lack of explanations but I write on Smartphone.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: May 17, 2016 10:40PM

That's all right about writing on a smart phone. I just appreciate your quick response. grinning smiley

I copied a wampserver.conf file from 5.6.17 to 5.6.12.

When you say "be sure that all paths inside my.ini of 5.6.12 are correct relative to the installation folder", am I needing to make sure that these lines below say "5.6.17".... or is it something else you're referring to?

basedir=c:/wamp/bin/mysql/mysql5.6.12
log-error=c:/wamp/logs/mysql.log
datadir=c:/wamp/bin/mysql/mysql5.6.12/data

(The above was part of a situation I read in the WordPress WAMP forum where someone needed to edit these lines, but I'm not sure this applies to your suggestion or not).

Date: May 17, 2016 11:05PM

Hi,

5.6.12 is right for my.ini of mysql 5.6.12.

Now, you may switch to mysql 5.6.12 and go to PhpMyAdmin to see if there is your database. Warning, user and password is those you used with Mysql 5.6.12, not for mysql 5.6.17

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: May 18, 2016 03:09AM

The 5.6.12 menu item did show up in the menu this time. I chose it and then the following error message came up:

Could not execute menu item (internal error)
[Exception] Could not execute run action:
The system cannot find the file specified

So there must be something else missing?

Date: May 18, 2016 10:07AM

Hi,

> So there must be something else missing?
Some questions:
- Does installing Wampserver and the old version mysql 5.6.12 are the same type, that is to say, all in 32 bit or all in 64 bit. It is impossible to mix 32- and 64-bit.
- Is the installing path of Wampserver c:\wamp\ ?
- Is the line with path in 5.6.12 my.ini correct:
--- lc-messages-dir="c:/wamp/bin/mysql/mysql5.6.12/share"
- In the mysql log files or in the Event Viewer, is there an error which explicitly gives the name of the file not found?

Date: May 18, 2016 03:29PM

> Some questions:
>- Does installing Wampserver and the old version mysql 5.6.12 are the same type, that is to say, all in 32 bit or all in 64 bit. It is impossible to mix 32- and 64-bit.

Is there a clue as to how I can tell if the old 5.6.12 is 32 or 64 bit? I installed the 64-bit for the 5.6.17.

> - Is the installing path of Wampserver c:\wamp\ ?

Yes

>- Is the line with path in 5.6.12 my.ini correct:
--- lc-messages-dir="c:/wamp/bin/mysql/mysql5.6.12/share"

That line was missing in my.ini. I copied it from the 5.6.17 my.ini and changed the version number, then inserted it in the same location in the 5.6.12 my.ini.

By the way, are you the same "otomatic" that I see in the WordPress forums?

I then activated Wamp, and the tray icon is orange. I clicked on the 5.6.12 installation (already checked) and the error message window says...

Aestan Tray Menu (in title of window)

Could not execute menu item (internal error)
[Exception} Could not perform built-in action:
No service has been performed yet!

And I can't switch to 5.6.17 without getting the same error message. The tray icon is now red.

Date: May 18, 2016 03:40PM

For 32 or 64 bit look for this line in the \wamp\wampamanager.conf file

wampserverMode= "32bit"

What does yours say, assuming you still have that file from your old install

Date: May 18, 2016 04:21PM

Unfortunately I didn't have that file from the old installation. That apparently was deleted from the installation when I uninstalled.

Date: May 18, 2016 04:25PM

David,

We seem to be getting knowhere fast with this.

Can I offer you a Team Viewer Session so I can connect up to the laptop in question and actually see whats is what and where it all is.

If this sounds like a good idea to you, you can download "TeamViewer QuickSupport" which is just an .exe (no install required), or you can install a full version, as you wish.

You can get the `TeamViewer QuickSupport` from This page on their web site

Then send me a Private Message containing the TV ID and PASSWORD so I can connect.
Leave TV running as it will change the password each time you restart it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2016 04:26PM by RiggsFolly.

Date: May 19, 2016 01:03AM

Before we try that, we had a thought...

The WAMP server's purpose is to hold a collection of old blog posts from my wife's web site. These are old ones we didn't want on there anymore, or were topics we took off. Occasionally we grab one back from WAMP and put it back up on her blog.

We were thinking of creating a WordPress site in a subfolder of one of our domains and put the files that were on WAMP on there. Is it possible to upload the table files from the 5.6.12 installation into MyPHPadmin on a new WordPress installation? I'm assuming those files are .sql files and we would just replace the corresponding tables on the new WP install with what we had on WAMP.

Date: May 19, 2016 01:08AM

Or we may just put them back on her blog, and then set them as "draft" files so they're not public (even though they'd show up a few years back and could only possibly be seen doing a search).

I assume if we upload each table one at a time, they would merge with the existing data. I see there are a large number of .ibd and .frm files, plus a large collection of mysql-bin files.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2016 02:11AM by DavidBorrink.

Date: May 19, 2016 02:29AM

Okay, here's an interesting post that has a scenario almost identical to mine.

[superuser.com]

What do you think?

Date: May 19, 2016 10:08AM

I dont think that superuser post is relevant.

If you are going to mess with your live site by copying database tables into it, it is at your own risk. These files would not MERGE with existsing tables they would over write existing tables.

Assuming you have a full set of mysql tables the process of getting them back on your laptop would be:

1. Make sure the existing stuff is safe. i.e. whatever is left of your old wamp folder.

2. Uninstall the WAMPServer you installed and nuked

3. makes sure the \wamp folder is removed

4. Install WAMPServer

5. Make sure WAMPServer runs.

6. Copy the old MYSQL folder \oldwamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.6.12 to \wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.6.12

7. Stop and restart WAMPServer

8. look for the old MYSQL wampmanager->MYSQL->mysql5.6.12 to make sure it is being seen by WAMPServer

9. Switch to the old MYSQL version wampmanager->MYSQL->Version->Mysql5.6.12 (click on version number)

10. Leave it at that so 5.6.12 is the active MYSQL version

11. Copy oldwamp\www\wordpress to wamp\www\wordpress (or whatever the folder is called)

12. Restart WAMPServer

13. Attempt to run you wordpress local site

All the problems you had were I believe related to your attempt to copy bits of MYSQL files from one version to another. Sometimes that may work, but only if/when you know what you are doing, and if the versions are compatible, and if all tables are MYISAM.

There are folders in \wamp\bin\mysql\mysql{version} that should not be copied between version as they are almost guaranteed to be incompatible

If you want help with this process, or with checking that you in fact have all the files that constitute your old database in the first place, my offer of Team Viewer is still open

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.