Followed your excellent tutorial on how to setup Virtual Hosts. Got a question.
Posted by: Invictus (---.pools.arcor-ip.net)
Date: June 23, 2014 12:50PM

Dear RiggsFolly & company,

first off - thanks for WAMP!

This is my first time.

I want to develop 3 separate Wordpress sites locally and push them to the clients server when finished.

I successfully followed the tutorial on VHosts up to the point where i can now access my first project on localhost in chrome:
[forum.wampserver.com]

My Stats:
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
WAMP 2.5
Apache 2.4.9
MySQL 5.6.17
PHP 5.5.12

WampManager icon is green

Host file edited according to the tutorial

QUESTION:
I completed the tutorial up to the point where it is pointed out: "Now there is one more thing." and then it goes on about the "MyVirtual Hosts" menu.

As a newbie i am a bit overwhelmed there.
Do i need to continue the tutorial and move the 3 project folders out of the wamp folder structure to develop my 3 projects successfully and to be able to push them on a server without broken links or code later?

Do i need to continue to grant my client access to the developing site? (Or can i simply edit the VHosts config to allow internet access?)

So, should i go on? Or is this whole MyVirtualHosts Menu thing just an convenience issue.

I hope this is not too much of a stupid question. winking smiley

- Invictus

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Followed your excellent tutorial on how to setup Virtual Hosts. Got a question.
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: June 23, 2014 01:02PM

Not stupid at all.

Nice question with all the relevant info included, thats a nice change.

RE: My Virtual Hosts

No you dont need to do that if you are happy as you are.
I take your point, maybe I will try and reword that a bit to make it read as simple as it is.

RE: Do i need to continue the tutorial and move the 3 project folders out of the wamp folder structure

No, as long as you have the WP sites in a VHOST ( and for WP sites it very important to use a VHOST ) you can leave them in the wamp folder structure.

RE: Do i need to continue to grant my client access to the developing site? (Or can i simply edit the VHosts config to allow internet access?)

One of the beauties of using a HVOST is you can chnage one of them (manually) to allow a client to 'have a quick look' by just chnaging the definition of that one VHOST.
So yes edit your VHOST definition for site1 and replace

Require local

To
Require all granted

Or if you are more security consious and you know your client IP Address

Require local
Require  ip 111.222.333.444
Dont forget the 'Require local' umless you change to 'Require all granted' or you will loose local access

RE: should i go on? Or is this whole MyVirtualHosts Menu thing just an convenience issue.

Yes basically it is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Re: Followed your excellent tutorial on how to setup Virtual Hosts. Got a question.
Date: June 23, 2014 02:19PM

Thank you very much, indeed!

Especially for the require IP bit...

Where can i find the URL i will have to share with my client?

- I.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2014 02:19PM by Invictus.

Date: June 23, 2014 02:39PM

Well if you want to do that I would get a free account with DYNDNS or noip.com or one of those.

That will let you create a domain something like clientsite.webhop.org that will point to your routers WAN ip address.

Then just create a new Virtual Host pointing to the same place as the one you already have, but let the

ServerName clientsite.webhop.org
ServerAlias clientsite.webhop.org

Then apache will direct it to the site you want them to see.

I hope that makes sense!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: June 23, 2014 02:56PM

Sounds good, will try to figure this out on my own from here on...

Thanks again.

Date: June 23, 2014 04:11PM

Then you will also need to know how to Port Forward your routers port 80 to your PC's port 80 i.e. allow traffic past your routers NAT firewall.

Help here [portforward.com]

Date: June 23, 2014 04:26PM

Perfect!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.