wamp reading a xampp database
Posted by: Mortaned (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: May 05, 2016 07:13PM

Hello.

I've been using wamp for most of my web projects but I also have a xampp installation for a couple of them (don't ask me why). I've been working like this for a long time and everything worked fine.

I hadn't acced any of these projects for some time but today I needed to work on one of my sites and I find that, after running the wamp server, when I access phpmyadmin, the databases I see are the ones I have on the xampp installation.

I have been trying to access the ones in wamp but whatever I do I still get the xampp ones.

How can this even be possible and how can I fix it?

Thanks for your help.

P.S. I recently updated form Windows 7 to Windows 10, in case that has anything to do with this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wamp reading a xampp database
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: May 05, 2016 10:02PM

Both WAMPServer and XAMPP install a MYSQL Server

If the MYSQL Server from XAMPP is running before you start WAMPServer the MYSQL in WAMPServer will not start but as they both use port 3306 the wamp system will see the other MYSQL.

Just make sure that the XAMPP MYSQL and Apache are not running when you start WAMPServer.

When you exit WAMPServer it automaticllay stops WAMPServers Apache and MYSQL but I am not sure that XAMPP does the same.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Re: wamp reading a xampp database
Posted by: Mortaned (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: May 05, 2016 11:44PM

I closed XAMPP during my investigations but, as you say, the MySQL service didn't shut down. I had to open it again and shut down that service first and that did the trick.

Thanks a lot for your timely help!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.