Struggling with WAMP and localhost configuration
Posted by: HoibO (---.cncdnh.fast03.myfairpoint.net)
Date: May 05, 2014 02:22AM

I have just installed WAMP 2.5 on my Win 7 64-bit machine. I wanted to take my WordPress website (I'm calling it VolZone) off of X10Hosting, bring it inside here so I can edit more efficiently. Every save on that server takes forever.

So I FTP'ed the entire site to my local system and dropped the whole folder structure under: /wamp/www/VolZone/. I already had a MySQL database in the import as well as the structures from MyPHPAdmin. I assume I do not need to rebuild those.

But, launch IE or Chrome and on typing in localhost/Volzone/ I am getting: You don't have permission to access /VolZone/ on this server. In fact when I invoke just plain /localhost off the WAMP menu out of the systray, same thing.

I've visited the hosts file and ensured I have the string "localhost 127.0.0.1" included. At this point, I'm rather skittish about touching anything else as I'm not too sure about what to change. I now realize a downside to this: anything I change in configurations for localhost may and probably will have to be returned to the orig settings to work on X10Hosting. I figure if I take accurate notes and use comments in these files, I have a good chance of bringing it back. I've stopped and restarted services numerous times.

Is it the .htaccess file that has to be modified? If so, apparently NotePad++ won't edit it. So, it must be a binary file that the server only reads. It must be modifiable in some other way.

Is it the httpd.conf file that has to be modified? If so, what directives need to changed? I see a bunch of rather confusing posts and answers referring to changing various lines in the file that I'm unable to sort through. Some answers work for some and some do not.

I'm pretty sure it's down to what's contained in these two files that I need to change. Anyone know what I need to do?

Later Edit: I noticed a lot of folks posting error logs. Let me snip mine in place here:

[Sun May 04 19:56:47.620000 2014] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 8960:tid 380] AH00456: Apache Lounge VC11 Server built: Mar 16 2014 12:42:59
[Sun May 04 19:56:47.620000 2014] [core:notice] [pid 8960:tid 380] AH00094: Command line: 'c:\\wamp\\bin\\apache\\apache2.4.9\\bin\\httpd.exe -d C:/wamp/bin/apache/apache2.4.9'
[Sun May 04 19:56:47.621000 2014] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 8960:tid 380] AH00418: Parent: Created child process 8988
[Sun May 04 19:56:48.158000 2014] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 8988:tid 312] AH00354: Child: Starting 64 worker threads.
[Sun May 04 19:56:51.250000 2014] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 8960:tid 380] AH00422: Parent: Received shutdown signal -- Shutting down the server.
[Sun May 04 19:56:53.252000 2014] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 8988:tid 312] AH00364: Child: All worker threads have exited.
[Sun May 04 19:56:53.285000 2014] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 8960:tid 380] AH00430: Parent: Child process 8988 exited successfully.
[Sun May 04 19:56:53.815000 2014] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 3632:tid 380] AH00455: Apache/2.4.9 (Win64) PHP/5.5.12 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Sun May 04 19:56:53.815000 2014] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 3632:tid 380] AH00456: Apache Lounge VC11 Server built: Mar 16 2014 12:42:59
[Sun May 04 19:56:53.815000 2014] [core:notice] [pid 3632:tid 380] AH00094: Command line: 'c:\\wamp\\bin\\apache\\apache2.4.9\\bin\\httpd.exe -d C:/wamp/bin/apache/apache2.4.9'
[Sun May 04 19:56:53.817000 2014] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 3632:tid 380] AH00418: Parent: Created child process 6932
[Sun May 04 19:56:54.369000 2014] [mpm_winnt:notice] [pid 6932:tid 312] AH00354: Child: Starting 64 worker threads.
[Sun May 04 19:57:14.925000 2014] [core:crit] [pid 6932:tid 832] (OS 5)Access is denied. : [client 127.0.0.1:56017] AH00529: C:/wamp/www/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable and that 'C:/wamp/www/' is executable

I have the .htaccess file in the same folder as /Volzone/. Is that correct?

Later-later Edit: I just noticed that the /wamp/ folder and all folders beneath it are marked "Read Only" in Windows! Is that the problem?

Even later edit: Am I allowed to have Apache interact with Port 80 when running it under a standard user in Win 7?

Much later edit: I turned off the Windows firewall, restarted all services - Forbidden. I returned to the Admin and disabled UAC. Back to my acct - restarted again - Forbidden. And, while on the Admin side, I had killed WAMPserver on the user side, launched WAMP on the Admin, started all services and after all this, I called up /localhost/ there and... Forbidden.

I just don't get it....

Thanks.

HoibO

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2014 05:51AM by HoibO.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Struggling with WAMP and localhost configuration
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: May 05, 2014 02:53PM

you don't have permission to access /VolZone/ on this server Is a purely Apache message.

So forget about 'read only' folders, they are not. Its only read only if you see a tick rather than that odd blue checkbox.

apparently NotePad++ won't edit it. Notepad++ should have no problem editing .htaccess ( it is a text file ) but you may find it a little odd editing any file that starts with a '.' dot. Its not a normal concept in windows. But notepadd++ should do it.

I have the .htaccess file in the same folder as /Volzone/. Is that correct? Please confirm, is .htaccess in \wamp\www or \wamp\www\VolZone?
If it is in \wamp\www can you move it somewhere else and then see it you can access 'localhost' please

It may be useful to see whats in .htaccess

Did you check WampServer i.e. loalhost was running ok before copying your site onto it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: May 06, 2014 12:57AM

Thanks for stopping by to help.

I think I found the problem, thanks to your hints. .htaccess is in wamp/www/ but it is 0 bytes wide. 0 as in zero. It's completely empty hence my confusion about whether it's actually editable. When I pull it up in Notepad++, it presents with a completely white pane.

So, I moved this off to another folder. And sure enough, a call to /localhost/ now shows me the contents of /wamp/www/ in a browser. A call to: /localhost/testmysql.php shows a panel with three tables. I drill down to localhost/Volzone/ and that still yields me a "Forbidden". I drill up and down to /localhost/phpmyadmin/ and launch the file phpmyadmin.php and that shows a nicely displayed summary.

So at this point, I'm somewhat there but not all the way. Do I need to "roll my own" .htaccess file? Are there specs for what to put in it? Or am I gong to uninstall and reinstall?

HoibO

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2014 06:32AM by HoibO.

Date: May 06, 2014 11:20AM

You dont NEED a .htaccess file, its just a way of adding/modifying what is configured in httpd.conf for specific folders that you put one in.

If I remember correctly WP does normally come with a .htaccess file. It probably exists in the VolZone folder

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: May 06, 2014 01:33PM

So then, what I need to do is go in to httpd.conf and see if there's a setting in there that's not allowing access to /localhost/Volzone/, right? Here's how I view it:

This section of httpd.conf -

# DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
# documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory, but
# symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.
#
DocumentRoot "c:/wamp/www/"

#
# Each directory to which Apache has access can be configured with respect
# to which services and features are allowed and/or disabled in that
# directory (and its subdirectories).
#
# First, we configure the "default" to be a very restrictive set of
# features.
#
<Directory />
AllowOverride none
Require all denied
</Directory>

#
# Note that from this point forward you must specifically allow
# particular features to be enabled - so if something's not working as
# you might expect, make sure that you have specifically enabled it
# below.
#

- Locks everything down tight.... But then, the next section(s) that follow like:

<Directory "c:/wamp/www/">
#
# Possible values for the Options directive are "None", "All",
# or any combination of:
# Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks SymLinksifOwnerMatch ExecCGI MultiViews
#
# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
# doesn't give it to you.
#
# The Options directive is both complicated and important. Please see
# [httpd.apache.org]
# for more information.
#
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

#
# AllowOverride controls what directives may be placed in .htaccess files.
# It can be "All", "None", or any combination of the keywords:
# AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
#
AllowOverride all

#
# Controls who can get stuff from this server.
#

# onlineoffline tag - don't remove
# Require all granted # May 4 2014
Require local
</Directory>

- "Loosen up those global restrictions per folder. So I have to have a separate set of <Directory>command-command-command</ Directory> pairs for each subfolder? If, as you see the directory "C:/wamp/www/ is set to "Allow/Override all" does that permission then not cascade downward to folders beneath it like "C:/wamp/www/Volzone"? Do I need a specific entry for each subfolder?

HoibO

Date: May 06, 2014 01:41PM

It should do yes.

Maybe you could install Team Viewer and I could have a look at whats really going on here.

If you want to do that, Install Team Viewer and send me a Private message with the ID and PASSWORD that team view gives yo whn you run it. Leave it running until I see the message and connect as each restart will chnage the PASSWORD.

Date: May 06, 2014 01:48PM

PM just sent.

H

Date: May 06, 2014 03:36PM

Taking ownership of the folder. I dropped back and installed the right-click context flyout. The fact the "Read Only" is checkmarked apparently is of no consequence.

I now have what I think is a working set up. I can get to all those subfolders, but I must pre-pend the request with /localhost/. I can't just drop on the subfolder (ex: [volzone] won't work but [localhost] will work). I can't call the project up without it.

I am now late for work!!! :-) More tonight...

Thanks very much for all the time you spent. I didn't mean for it to come out to be such a marathon.

HoibO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2014 03:59PM by HoibO.

Date: May 06, 2014 03:52PM

I have a fix for the Projects menu issue

Edit /wamp/scripts/refresh.php

line 655
at the end of the line,

change
Parameters: 'http://'

to

Parameters: 'http://localhost'

Then stop wampserver and then restart it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2014 04:01PM by RiggsFolly.

Date: May 06, 2014 04:12PM

Hi - I didn't get out of the house yet....

Is this the line? This is what I have at line 655 or refresh.php:

$tpl = str_replace($myPattern,$myreplace.$myreplacesubmenuProjects,$tpl); (Your file probably is a different length hence your line items don't match mine)

I did find this at line 651:
$myreplacesubmenuProjects .= 'Type: item; Caption: "'.$projectContents[$i].'"; Action: run; FileName: "'.$c_navigator.'"; Parameters: 'http://localhost'.$projectContents[$i].'/"; Glyph: 5

This shows how I modified the string to your specs. Stopped and restarted. Page Cannot be displayed. At least I'm not getting "Forbidden".

Did I do this correctly?

Later Edit: Is there a single/double quote problem here at the localhost edit? The single quotes don't balance off...

HoibO

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2014 04:30PM by HoibO.

Date: May 06, 2014 05:35PM

Ignore that fix. It was BOGUS. I will get it deleted.

I will put a correct solution up later

Date: May 07, 2014 12:55PM

OK, I'll be standing by... I can't get to Projects either from the WAMP opening web page nor the systray icon for WAMP. I did take ownership of the entire WAMP folder structure - from /wamp/ all the way down, under my user account, not the Admin acct. At least I got /localhost/ to work. On trying to reach Volzone or Project 1, I'm getting "Webpage can't be displayed" and not the 403 - Forbidden business.

Again, I'll wait to hear back before I mess any more of this up...

I will need to go back into httpd.conf and remove the last edit. Problem is that I think I may wind up with an imbalance in the single-quotes in that section of the line.

HoibO

Date: May 14, 2014 12:58PM

The struggle ends here. I wound up having to bag the migrated fileset and start with a fresh install. This just wasn't going to work with my knowledge and lack of experience.

H

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.