OpenSSL does not seem to work on 64bit WAMP
Posted by: fredgbm (101.185.176.---)
Date: April 21, 2016 04:47PM

I have installed wampserver3_x64_apache2.4.17_mysql5.7.9_php5.6.16_php7.0.0 on my windows 10 machine and seem to be having trouble with OpenSSL.
1) I am unable to modify httpd.conf to allow SSL and restart the server. Wampserver icon remans yellow. So I comment out the three lines and Wampserver starts fine.
2) I added an environment variable OPENSSL_CONF that points to the configuration file and try to run openssl from the bin directory it is installed in (c:\wamp64\bin\apache\apache2.4.17\bin) and I get the error message
"The ordinal 372 could not be located in the dynamic link library c:\wamp64\bin\apache\apache2.4.17\bin\openssl.exe".

Does this indicate there is something wrong with the OpenSSL files in this installation?
If there is something wrong, how do I go about correcting the problem.
I am confused because I have installed several earlier versions on windows 7 and 2008 R2; and SSL worked fine on both.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Garry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OpenSSL does not seem to work on 64bit WAMP
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: April 21, 2016 05:08PM

See if this helps you [forum.wampserver.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: April 22, 2016 03:45AM

I am struggling with this.

First of all thank you for the link to your article. I have used it before, it was my primary reference when I first started implementing SSL in Wampserver. The problem now is I cannot even get that far. OpenSSL will not run.

When I look in the bin folder under apache2.4.17 I see symbolic links to the OpenSSL dlls in a PHP specific folder. I assume (never a great idea, assuming) that if I changed to PHP7.0 using the Wampserver menu the these links would change to point to those OpenSSL dlls in the PHP7.0 folder. The reason I ask is that I was going to try to fix the problem by installing the latest OpenSSL on my system and replace the OpenSSL specific files (exe, dll and cnf) in the wampserver installation and try to run OpenSSL in the Wampserver environment. My problem is I do not want to destroy my current environment it contains stuff I am currently working on and I am pressed for time. I cannot really afford to rebuild my development environment, just at the moment.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2016 10:12AM

My problem is I do not want to destroy my current environment

Backups, backups, backups

To make a TOTAL backup of WAMPServer

Stop WAMPServer, copy `\wamp\` to `\backup_wamp\`

You can always replace \wamp\ from the backup_wamp. Just remember to stop wampserver before doing anything like this to ensure a complete copy is done.

Someone just used this post to successfully get ssl(https) working, I cannot remember which is more up to date, possibly this one. [stackoverflow.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: April 22, 2016 05:56PM

I had seen that post when I was trying to fix my problem but I did not read down to the part were he said there had been problems with OpenSSL and how he solved them. I was skimming so much stuff looking for a clue. Ended up using this one

[http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17354788/enabling-openssl-in-wamp]

Since my previous reply I managed to install Wampserver on my old Win7 desktop upgraded to Win10. Wampserver in that install did not create the symbolic links to the OpenSSL dlls in the PHP folder as it did on my newer machine so after I created the exact same links OpenSSL failed. I deleted the links, installed OpenSSL on the machine and copied the exe, dll and cnf files to the required locations in Wampserver and all worked. I guess the concern I have is what are the implications of using the dlls from the OpenSSL install instead of those provided specifically for different versions of PHP packaged with this Wampserver. I think I need to do more reading to understand what I am missing.

Thank you for your assistance.
Regards
Garry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.