Wampserver won't start
Posted by: samchatham (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 07, 2014 04:09PM

I have an orange WampManager icon. Not only is WAMP not running, but I can't even get the WampManager menu by clicking the icon.

I installed wampserver2.5-Apache-2.4.9-Mysql-5.6.17-php-5.5.1.2-64b on a Windows 7 SP1 machine. I have a hosts file which maps 127.0.0.1 to localhost (no other mappings). My WampManager icon in the system tray is orange. Nothing happens when I left-click it. When I browse to localhost or 127.0.0.1 I get "this page can't be displayed."

In the services.msc list, I see wampmysqld64 (which is "Running"winking smiley but do not see any other relevant services (specifically, I don't see "wampapache"winking smiley.

I don't have Skype installed, and never have. To troubleshoot, I used msconfig to disable all apps and did a clean reboot, but the problem persists. I also did the obvious flailing (uninstall WAMP, delete C:\wamp, reinstall WAMP) but no joy.

By the way, the problem comes when I install WAMP on my laptop. Prior to this, I installed WAMP on my desktop (a Windows 7 computer with a similar configuration) and it worked fine. I used the same installation file for both installations.

Here's a key fact. On my desktop computer (where WAMP works), I find "wampapache" in the list of services revealed by services.msc. But on my laptop computer (where WAMP doesn't work), "wampapache" is not in the list of services.

Can you help me out?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wampserver won't start
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: May 07, 2014 09:33PM

It sounds like something odd happened during the install.

Can I suggest that you uninstall WAMPServer and install it again.

Also you would be better off using the WAMPServer 32bit. The 64 bit is really just for geeks and is officially ( according to the PHP development team ) Experimental as PHP is not yet fully ported to 64bit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Re: Wampserver won't start
Posted by: samchatham (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 10, 2014 09:09PM

It turned out that the problem wasn't with WampServer at all but with a corrupted operating system. I did a clean reinstall of the operating system and WampServer installed just fine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.