Orange Only, No Green
Posted by: waseda (133.9.62.---)
Date: May 07, 2014 07:11AM

Konnichiwa

Before i tell my problem, here is what you would like to know first
Version of Operating system? Windows 7 Professional 64bit
Version of Wamp Server installed? 2.5 64bit
Version of Apache,MySQL,PHP you are running? Apache : 2.4.9 MySQL : 5.6.17 PHP : 5.5.12 PHPMyAdmin : 4.1.14 SqlBuddy : 1.3.3 XDebug : 2.2.5

What colour is your WampManager icon? Orange

host file: 127.0.0.1 localhost

ok so i downloaded and installed 2.5 today. all microsoft stuff has been installed. have rebooted 2 times already.

on wamp, i have tried to stop, start and restart all services.

no matter what i do, the icon never goes to green.

what am i doing wrong. have i missed a step?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Orange Only, No Green
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: May 07, 2014 10:24AM

Hello Waseda,

First I would suggest uninstalling the 64bit WAMPServer and installing the 32 bit version. This will not solve your problem but the 64bit version is really only for geeks, it is still considered Experimental at least by the PHP team as it is not yet a full 64bit port of PHP.

If the wampmanager icon is not GREEN then one of the services ( Apache/MySQL ) has not started properly.

How to tell which service is not running if the wampmanager icon is orange.

Left click the wampmanager icon to reveal the menu-> Apache -> Service
If the Start/Resume service menu is Green then Apache IS NOT running.

Left click the wampmanager icon to reveal the menu-> MySQL -> Service
If the Start/Resume service menu is Green then MySQL IS NOT running.

If Apache is the service that is not running it is normally, but not always, because something else has captured port 80.

Now do,
Left click the wampmanager icon to reveal the menu-> Apache -> Service -> Test port 80
This will launch a command window and display some information about what, if anything is using port 80.

Whatever it is should be re-configured to not use port 80 or uninstalled if you are not using it.

If port 80 is not the problem look for errors in the appropriate error log ( use the wamp manager menus to view the error logs )

If these do not exists or show no errors then also check the Windows Event Viewer
Start -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer
And look in the 'Windows Logs' -> Application' section accessed from the menu on the left of the dialog for error messages from Apache and or MySQL.

How to Configure SKYPE so it does not require port 80 or 443
( This does not appear to be necessary on recent versions i.e. after march 2014 )

Run SKYPE
then using the menus do this:
Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Connection
Un-Check the checkbox next to 'Use port 80 and 443 as alternatives for incomming connections'
Now restart SKYPE for these changes to take effect.

If you are running Windows 8 SKYPE comes as an app and this cannot ( as yet ) be configured in this way.
However if you uninstall the SKYPE app and install SKYPE in the old way, you can reconfigure it, and it works just as well.

How to Configure Team Viewer so it does not require port 80 or 443
Run TV
Extras -> Options -> Advanced -> Press the Advanced Button -> Advanced Network Connections
Check the checkbox saying [ Dont use incomming port 80 (recommended for web servers only )

If the problem is not obvious then post the errors here

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: waseda (133.9.62.---)
Date: May 08, 2014 05:50AM

Dear RiggsFolly,

thanks for your reply.

So i removed 64 bit and installed 32bit.

Still the icon loves to be orange. I did the port scan and i guess port 80 was taken. I didnt want to go and make changes to any other app in case i break it.

So i configured apache to port 8080, modified the wampmanager.tpl file to point localhost to :8080 (plus phpmysql and others), updated the index.php in the www folder and woohoo. Finally i see green light.

so i can see everything properly (except for the directory listing icons but its didnt matter).

Thanks again. now going to see how i can configure vhosts..

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: May 08, 2014 11:12AM

This may help

HowTo: Create Virtual Hosts in WAMP

BEFORE DOING ANY OF THIS PLEASE ENSURE APACHE AND MYSQL ARE WORKING PROPERLY FIRST!!!

1. Create a new folder outside the wamp directory structure.
for example
C:\websites\site1\www
but this can be on any disk drive visible to the PC running wamp

2. Create a subfolder in c:\websites for each site you want to create.
for example:
C:\websites\site1\www
C:\websites\site2\www

3. Edit the file C:\wamp\bin\apache\apachex.y.z\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf
where x,y and z are the version numbers of apache that you actually have installed.

NOTE: If you are switching between 2 or more versions of apache this will have to be done to all your versions of apache in turn.

SUGGESTION: I like to use the format sitename.dev to make it obvious to me that I am dealing with my localhost development copy of a site, you may prefer another notation, thats ok, the word dev has no actual defined meaning in this case, its just my way of naming my development versions of a live site.

NOTE: Remove the lines that already exists in this file. They are just examples.

example contents:
    #
    # Use name-based virtual hosting.
    #
    NameVirtualHost *:80

## must be first so the the wamp menu page loads when you use just localhost as the domain name
    ## Also NEVER change the security to anything other than Allow from 127.0.0.1 localhost ::1
    ## Then a drive by Ip address hack should return a 403 denied access
    <VirtualHost *:80>
        DocumentRoot "C:/wamp/www"
        ServerName localhost
        ServerAlias localhost
        ## Using Apache 2.2 syntax
        <Directory  "C:/wamp/www">
            Order Deny,Allow
            Deny from all
            Allow from 127.0.0.1 localhost ::1
            ## For every ip in the subnet, just use the first 3 numbers of the subnet
            ## Check you actual subnet for the actual values to use here
            Allow from 192.168.0
        </Directory>

## Using Apache 2.4 syntax
        <Directory  "C:/wamp/www">
            Require local
            ## And possibly allow access from you local network
            ## Check you subnet for the actual values to use here
            Require ip 192.168.0
        </Directory>

</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
        DocumentRoot "C:/websites/site1/www"
        ServerName site1.dev
        ServerAlias www.site1.dev
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
        ## Using Apache 2.2 syntax
        <Directory "C:/websites/site1/www">
            AllowOverride All
            Order Deny,Allow
            Deny from all
            Allow from 127.0.0.1 localhost ::1
            #If you want to allow access from your internal network
            # For specific ip addresses add one line per ip address
            #Allow from 192.168.0.nnn
            # For every ip in the subnet, just use the first 3 numbers of the subnet
            #Allow from 192.168.0
            # If you want to allow access to everyone
            #Allow from all
        </Directory>

## Using Apache 2.4 syntax
        <Directory "C:/websites/site1/www">
            AllowOverride All
            Require local
            #If you want to allow access from your internal network
            # For specific ip addresses add one line per ip address
            #Require ip 192.168.0.nnn
            # For every ip in the subnet, just use the first 3 numbers of the subnet
            #Require ip 192.168.0
            # If you want to allow access to everyone
            #Require all granted
        </Directory>

</VirtualHost>

Add as many <VirtualHost> as you require so each of your sites have one, changing the DocumentRoot, ServerName and any other of the parameters as appropriate.
This also allows you to make SITE SPECIFIC changes to the configuration.

NOTE: This will make the wamp manager "Put Online" function no longer have any effect on these new vhost'ed sites as the security for each one is now part of the vhost definition, so leave WAMP, OFFLINE.
If you want to put one or more sites online you will have to change the Allow commands MANUALLY in the httpd-vhosts.conf file.

To check your subnet do the following:
Launch a command window, and run
    >ipconfig
Look for the line "Default Gateway" in the output and use the third number in your Allow commands.

4. Edit your httpd.conf file and search for these lines, they are near the bottom of the file.
# Virtual hosts
#Include conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf

Remove the '#' comment character on this line to Include your newly changed vhosts, this will cause apache to register their existance.
eg
# Virtual hosts
Include conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf

5. Now in order for your browser to know how to get to these new domain names i.e. site1.dev and site2.dev, we need to tell windows what IP address they are located on. There is a file called HOSTS that is a hangover from the days before Domain Name Servers (DNS) were invented. It is a way of giving nice easy rememberable names to IP address's, which of course is what DNS Servers do for us all now.

Edit your HOSTS file, this can be found in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc , the file does not have an extension.
Windows protects this file so you must be an Administrator to be allowed to save changes to this file.

If you are using VISTA or Windows7/8 you may think you are an Administrator BUT YOU ARE NOT!!!!
So to edit this file you must launch your editor, or Notepad in a specific way to gain Administrator rights. To do this find your editors icon and launch it using the following key strokes:
Shift + Right Click over its icon, this will display a menu, click the item "Run as Administrator", and click "Allow" on the challenge dialog that will appear.

Now you are ready to edit the hosts file so navigate your editor to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Add the following lines to this file

127.0.0.1   site1.dev
   127.0.0.1   site2.dev
NOTE: You will need to add one line in this file for each of your new virtual hosts.

Once you have saved these changes you need to make windows refresh its 'domain name - ipaddress cross reference' cache.

To do this launch a command window as an Administrator ( Shift + Left Click over the command window icon ) and run these 2 commands.

>net stop "DNS Client"
>net start "DNS Client"
Note: The quotes are required as there is a space in the services name.

6. In order for Apache to pick up these changes you must bounce ( restart ) apache.
Do this by: Wamp manager -> Apache -> Service -> Restart Service

You should now be able to use the address site1.dev in your browser to get to your new sites.
Copy your sites code into the "C:/websites/xxxx" folder if you already have a site coded or,
place a quick and simple index.php file into the "c:\websites\xxxx" folder to proove it all works.

example:
   <!DOCTYPE html>
   <html lang="en-US">
   <head>
   <meta charset="UTF-8">
   <title>SITE1</title>
   </head>
   <body>
   <?php
        echo '<div style="background-color:red;color;white;text-align:center;font-size:18px">HELLO FROM Site1</div>';
   ?>
   </body>
   </html>

TROUBLE SHOOTING:
If you have used the new domain name ( site1.dev ) and it has not found the site.
a. Check the changes to the hosts file.
b. Restart the "DNS Service" that runs in windows. This caches all domain names that you use in a browser so that the browser does not have to query a DNS Server each time you re-use a domain name. This may have cached your failed attempt but a restart is easy and should solve the problem and is quicker that re-booting windows, which should also work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.