WAMPSERVER 2 - services not starting - icon remains yellow
Posted by: jeeremie (---.revip5.asianet.co.th)
Date: March 17, 2011 08:50AM

Since I reinstalled Windows 7, 64 bits, I only have problems with Wampserver though it used to work fine before then. Now the icon in the system tray remains yellow instead of turning green.

I tried everything:

- Skype is not using port 80. I unchecked the box already.

- I runned the following command "netstat -ab | more" in a terminal to make sure no other executables are listening to port 80. Clear!

- I tried to edit httpd.conf to listen to port 8080 and changed "ServerName localhost:80" to "ServerName localhost:8080" but no success.

- and i tried a couple of other solutions I could find on Forums... none worked for me.

I don't know what else to do. Note, if I reinstall Wampserver, it works just fine but after a while or after I reboot Windows the icon turns yellow and I can connect to Localhost anymore.

Somebody, help! I am loosing so much time because of that and can't work on my clients' projects.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAMPSERVER 2 - services not starting - icon remains yellow
Date: March 17, 2011 08:54AM

oh, and yes, I tried left click on the wampserver icon in the system tray > Apache > Service > Test Port 80. Result: "your port 80 is not actually used"... so what's going on??!

Posted by: stevenmartin99 (---.b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net)
Date: March 17, 2011 09:07AM

i cant take a look if you like using teamviewer...

but first make sure you are an admin user to run wamp

Steven Martin
stevenmartin99@gmail.com
stevenmartin99@hotmail.com
PampServer.com - [pampserver.com]

Date: March 17, 2011 09:07AM

Hoorrah! I found it. I had made some changes to my httpd.conf after I reinstalled Wampserver. Once I reverted to the default httpd.conf file, it worked like a charm. What's weird is that these configurations used to work just fine before I reinstalled Windows 7. I wonder why now it causes it to stop?! Hmmm, I will have to investigate.

Posted by: uzairawanpk (39.53.95.---)
Date: February 13, 2014 12:51PM

Dear Jeeremie

Would you please tell about the changes you made in httpd.conf file because I am facing the same issue?

Waiting for your swift response.

Regards
Muhammad Uzair Awan
Pakistan

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: February 13, 2014 12:58PM

If the wampmanager icon is not GREEN then one of the services ( Apache/MySQL ) has not started properly.

How to tell which service is not running if the wampmanager icon is orange.

Left click the wampmanager icon to reveal the menu-> Apache -> Service
If the Start/Resume service menu is Green then Apache IS NOT running.

Left click the wampmanager icon to reveal the menu-> MySQL -> Service
If the Start/Resume service menu is Green then MySQL IS NOT running.

If Apache is the service that is not running it is normally, but not always, because something else has captured port 80.

Now do,
Left click the wampmanager icon to reveal the menu-> Apache -> Service -> Test port 80
This will launch a command window and display some information about what, if anything is using port 80.

Whatever it is should be re-configured to not use port 80 or uninstalled if you are not using it.

If port 80 is not the problem look for errors in the appropriate error log ( use the wamp manager menus to view the error logs )

If these do not exists or show no errors then also check the Windows Event Viewer
Start -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer
And look in the 'Windows Logs' -> Application' section accessed from the menu on the left of the dialog for error messages from Apache and or MySQL.

How to Configure SKYPE so it does not require port 80 or 443

Run SKYPE
then using the menus do this:
Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Connection
Un-Check the checkbox next to 'Use port 80 and 443 as alternatives for incomming connections'
Now restart SKYPE for these changes to take effect.

If you are running Windows 8 SKYPE comes as an app and this cannot ( as yet ) be configured in this way.
However if you uninstall the SKYPE app and install SKYPE in the old way, you can reconfigure it, and it works just as well.

How to Configure Team Viewer so it does not require port 80 or 443
Run TV
Extras -> Options -> Advanced -> Press the Advanced Button -> Advanced Network Connections
Check the checkbox saying [ Dont use incomming port 80 (recommended for web servers only )

If the problem is not obvious then post the errors here

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: kokanee (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: February 13, 2014 08:10PM

RiggsFolly,
i did what you suggested { in regards to icon only going yellow } and appache is working but MySql is not short of re installing (again) is there anything else i could do to make it start.
Re-configured Skype to not listen to ports 80 or 443 and do not have team viewer installed so that is not an issue .

Cheers in advance

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: February 13, 2014 09:29PM

Look at the mysql log

and also the Windows event viewer for messages from MySQL

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: abhidutz (106.51.130.---)
Date: February 17, 2014 08:44PM

in many cases the following solution works. if you've tried Skpye switching off try this
[www.youtube.com]

few windows services need to shut down to let WAMP run(access port 80)

Posted by: vaibhav bhave (---.130.156.182-tataidc.co.in)
Date: April 12, 2014 09:54AM

what changes you made . please inform me . i am also facing same problem. please reply fast. you can also mail me on manse49@gmail.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.