Having difficulty accessing my WAMP server externally
Posted by: Tom05 (---.skybroadband.com)
Date: March 03, 2014 04:34PM

Hi all,

I have finished installing my WAMP server onto my computer but I am having problems configuring it so that I can access it externally. As I am using a sky router I could only set up DNS with a www.dyndns.com hostname as I read on numerous forums that in order to access my WAMP externally I needed a hostname.

I set a static ip to the computer that is running WAMP and added an inbound service from my static ip to port 8080. I changed the files in the apache http.conf file but I still cant access it externally.

Operating System: Windows 8
Wamp server: 2.2
Apache: 2.4
mysql: 5.5
PHP: 5.4

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Having difficulty accessing my WAMP server externally
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: March 03, 2014 04:42PM

Hi Tom,

well you dont actually need the dynamic domain name bit but ut makes it much easier to find you as otherwise a user has to know your WAN ip address, which depending on where you live in the world can change each time you reboot your router.

Staic IP on PC running WAMP: Good

Port Forwarding your router:

This is to allow your router to pass unsolicited access on port x ( normally 80 for a web server ) throught the routers NAT security, and on to a PC inside your local network, the PC with the static IP running WAMP.

Are you running apache on port 8080?
Are you running Apache on port 80?

Which port did you actually port forward?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: March 03, 2014 05:04PM

Firstly, thanks for the quick response I really appreciate it.

As I was confusing myself with all this I reverted everything back to default in the apache http.conf file. So it is now listening to port 80. When I initially set up port forwarding I set my static ip to port 8080 and changed the apache http.conf file to listen to port 8080 but this prevented me from accessing my WAMP server both internally and externally.

Date: March 07, 2014 09:58AM

Does this mean you are now working ok?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: March 07, 2014 02:00PM

I had to change the Required localhost only to Required granted all in the http.conf file then it worked smiling smiley

Date: March 07, 2014 02:45PM

That theoretically gives access to your server from anywhere on the internet ( not if you have not port forwarded your router) but it is safer to use

Require local

This works for any of these ip addresses

127.0.0.1 localhost and the IPV6 address ::1 which is IPV6's version of 127.0.0.1

You may also want to give access to anyone on your local network so you can add

Require ip 192.168.0

Assuming your ip address starts with 192.168.0 which tends to be normal for home routers, but it might be something where the 3rd number is anything from 0 to 255.

Check it with

ipconfig

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.