HELP PLEASE!! WAMP & Dynamic File access
Posted by: UnknownUser (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: January 30, 2014 05:05AM

Hi Everyone,

I need assistance in figuring out how to do this;

In our company, we have users who modify excel documents and in turn these documents are hosted on our website, and in turn is downloaded by others. So far the only way the new data can be hosted is to re-publish the website - which our users do not have access to.

Is there a way to host a file something like server file sharing that when the document is updated, it's updated for everyone??? In turn whoever is clicking on the downloaded file it will contain the most recent data?

I tried link file - but that just creates a copy of the original file.

Please help.

Thanks,

UnknownUser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2014 05:06AM by UnknownUser.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HELP PLEASE!! WAMP & Dynamic File access
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.ppp.as43234.net)
Date: January 30, 2014 10:13AM

I cant think what mechanism you have put in place that requires a republish of the website to allow the users to see new or updated versions of these spreadsheets.

This site is really for people having trouble getting wamp to run and not how to code websites.

I would have provided an upload page that stores these files in a folder ( not under the DocumentRoot) and a view whats there page, that allows a click on a filename to download that file.

Now you can store the filenames in a database with a link to the actual folder and file where a file lives or you can just write some php to list the contents of the folder(s) containing the speardsheets.

Why does it require a republish to make these files visible?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: UnknownUser (184.70.223.---)
Date: January 30, 2014 03:47PM

Maybe I am doing something wrong; I'm using WYSIWYG for design and WAMP 2.4.x

I will just give an example, we have file 123 that has a link on our website.

file 123 is located in C:\test

The website gets published and the file is uploaded and people can then click the link and download.

Employee A - then modifies the master file 123 and inputs new data.

If we go to our website, even though the link that is pointing to the file it does not update with the new data entered.

To me it seems as if its just making a copy of that file and then storing it in the c:\wamp\www folder. Now I even tried to just write new data to file 123 in the www folder but still when clicking on the website link it did not show me the new data.

Is this the WYSIWYG issue, or wamp server not refreshing the data that is located in the c:\wamp\www folder. I even tried to restart all services with no luck.

I would have thought a link to something would be dynamic, whatever data it pulls from that link is what it is in its current state?

Date: January 30, 2014 05:55PM

Well you need to look at the code that 'saves' the users edit. It is obviously saving it in the wrong place.

How have you given access to the folder C:\test ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: UnknownUser (184.70.223.---)
Date: January 30, 2014 06:45PM

The users are just opening a shared excel file from the server, making changes and clicking save.

So the changes they make are there on the original file and everything is good. I can open this up from any pc on the network and the changes are saved.

I just tried this test. I added the excel file to the C:\wamp\www folder.

I then linked it to the website;

opened it up from an external address, and all the data was there.

I then deleted all the information in the excel file located in C:\wamp\www folder, and saved it.

now when I closed the browser, and re-opened it to that same link it was still showing all the old date prior to me deleting it.

are there cached copies or something?

Date: January 30, 2014 08:04PM

Its most likely your code.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.