Removing WAMP without affecting databases
Posted by: autobot123 (---.skybroadband.com)
Date: January 17, 2014 05:30PM

Hi all,
Hope you can help,

Last year I dabbled with learning about databases from a friend who does it for a living and he installed WAMP and Netbeans on my laptop and through these two programs I have access to two databases in which I was being taught how to do things on them.

Long story short is that we no longer speak and I want to make sure I have no access to the two databases, of which I am assuming he is still continuing. In normal circumstances I would delete the programs and I'm sure that would be the end of it, but as the whole database/WAMP/Netbeans situation is still so alien to me I am looking for advice.

Basically I need to know how I can log out/uninstall/deattach myself from having access to these databases without damaging the content itself.

Much Appreciated for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing WAMP without affecting databases
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: January 17, 2014 05:33PM

What do you mean by 'Not damaging the content itself' ????

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: January 17, 2014 05:55PM

Well I don't want to accidentally delete or corrupt any of the database information I just don't want access to it anymore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2014 06:05PM by autobot123.

Date: January 18, 2014 01:14AM

well you can just uninstall WAMPServer. That will remove the Apache web server and the MySQL database server but leave the database and its tables in wamp\bin\mysql\mysqlx.y.z\data

Of course you wont be able to see the data anymore because the database server ( mysql ) will have been removed.

You are going to have to be more specific about your requirements if you want any more details.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: January 22, 2014 08:12PM

Thanks buddy, at least I know I can uninstall WAMP completely from my laptop. Now, the files that are left on my laptop - What would happen if I deleted these?

Considering it was about 9/10 months ago since I last used them as I was being taught about WAMP/Databases by someone. Who I assume would have continued building the databases. I no longer speak to this person and have no need for any information related to these databases, I don't want anything linked to them on my laptop.

Thanks,

Sorry I know it's all very basic stuff but like I say I really don't know anything about the set up/install of it all and I want to ensure I can get rid of all the information from my laptop safely.

Date: January 23, 2014 01:15AM

Basically the uninstall only deleted files that it cretaed in the first place, If you have changed them it also does not delete them.

The files that are left in \wamp\bin\mysql\mysqlx.y.z\data are the databases.

If you dont want anything at all then just uninstall and then delete \wamp\ and all its subfolder.

Date: January 24, 2014 01:13PM

Thanks,
So to confirm uninstalling the program and deleting all relevant files and folders from my laptop will only get rid of them from my laptop and not have any affect on the live databases themselves?

Date: January 24, 2014 03:59PM

WHAT !!?!??!?!

Date: January 25, 2014 11:47AM

As far as I am aware the databases are still being used and created
If I delete everything from my laptop will that have any affect on them?

Date: January 25, 2014 05:37PM

Do you mean that someone is using your PC remotely and it is being used to drive a website or something?

Date: January 25, 2014 08:50PM

No, no-one is accessing my laptop. The person who was started teaching me about databases had them on his laptop too.

I think what will be best is; I'll burn the files to a disc (just in case) and delete everything from my laptop. Like I was saying it's been 9 months or more since I did anything and that was under his supervision anyway so if he has been updating them then surely whatever the files are on my laptop are all out of date anyway.

Sorry for all the confusion and thanks for the help. I just wanted to do the right thing, but at the end of the day after so many months they should have their own back ups anyway.

Date: January 26, 2014 04:23PM

Exactly. Whats on your system is or at least should be completely irrelevant to your ex friend.

So just do a UnInstall and then delete the \wamp folder and all subfolders.

Date: January 26, 2014 06:28PM

Shall do, Thanks for baring with me :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.