MySQL service won't start, icon remains orange.
Posted by: meidsen5 (---.pool.mediaWays.net)
Date: January 23, 2014 12:06PM

Version of Operating system: 64 bit windows 7 ultimate
Version of Wamp Server installed: wampserver 2.4
Version of Apache you are running: 2.4.4
Version of MySQL you are running: 5.6.12
Version of PHP you are running: 5.4.12

What colour is your WampManager icon: orange

Do you have a HOSTS file: yes (though I don't this is or what it means)

I am new to developing, I have spent a lot of time with HTML and CSS and decided its time to move up to the next level. Anyway I downloaded and set up wamp server here and immediately it isn't working and I have searched around google for possible solutions and nothing has worked so far and I simply just don't know what I am doing.

So I have discovered that MySQL simply wont start and have no idea why. I tried reinstalling wamp server, I checked port 80 (said being used by apache 2.4.4 and php 5.4.12) but anything I have tried with starting MySQL has come up with nothing. When I press "start/resume service" it just doesn't do anything at all. I appreciate any help! Thank you!

PS I also found something that said that skype can interfere with wamp server (don't know if that was an old post though) but I tried shutting down skype entirely but didn't change anything, set it not to use ports 80 and 443, nothing... hmm

EDIT: I also realized I probably should mention that I have tried both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of wamp server and it yields the same problem on each. And unfortunately I even don't get any error message from either to post here... Sorry sad smiley

EDIT: I read that I can uncomment "skip-networking" option, so I did. and the icon turned green... but before I could feel good about myself for fixing the problem, it turned orange again. So now every time I press "start/resume service" for MySQL it turns green for a moment and then back to orange because MySQL turned back off.

EDIT: problem solved. had to set enable-named-pipe in the my.ini file. I know nothing about this, but a friend of mine took a look at the ini file and pasted this at the bottom and it fixed the problem. Thanks anyway smiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2014 02:28PM by meidsen5.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.