localhost - server offline....
Posted by: langerd (---.dsl.teksavvy.com)
Date: January 10, 2014 07:24AM

from C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1

So far I have done the following:

1. .httpd.config - changed port to 8888 from 80
(this actually worked to bring wamp online (green icon+online+access phpadmin, etc.. however, could not access wordpress)

2. selected rewrite_module

Then wamp suddenly went orange, could not access phpadmin etc....

3. changed port back to 80 after killing MsDepSvc. Restarted, clicked put online.. still orange/offline

4. exit/restart etc

5. this keeps popping up in the Apache error log -- AH00422: Parent: Received shutdown signal -- Shutting down the server. -- is this relevant?

6. shaken my fist

7. when i click put online i get a pop-up saying - could not execute menu item etc service is not started --.

It just seemed to shut down on its own, though I never was able to get wordpress to appear.

Read some threads in this forum, but no luck.

Help appreciated.

Windows 7 64 Home Prem
Wamp 2.4
Apache 2.4.4
PHP 5.4.12
mySQL 5.6.12

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: localhost - server offline....
Posted by: langerd (---.cable.teksavvy.com)
Date: January 10, 2014 07:27AM

and also to mention, the Test Port indicates 80 is actually not in use.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: January 10, 2014 10:58AM

If the Wampmanager icon is not GREEN then it means that either the Apache or MySQL service is not started.

In your case it sounds like the 'wampapache' service has not started.

Look in the Apache error log for clues.
Also look in the Windows Event Viewer Under 'Windows logs -> Applications' for messages from Apache.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: January 10, 2014 02:45PM

sigh... In my fatigue delirium I had apparently put an underscore in front of a hash mark on line one of the Apache httpd.config file. All is well now. Can even see wordpress too (though still am not exactly clear why I could not see the wordpress site that started all this, when I could see everything else wamp related. Even up to the point the underscore got tangled with the hash mark wordpress could not be found. Perhaps a question for another day... or later today winking smiley )

I would have wound up uninstalling/reinstalling which would have solved it, but I would not have known what the problem was nor learned extra troubleshooting skills (am new to all this) and awareness.

Thanks, RiggsFolly. I will raise a glass to you this evening.

Date: January 11, 2014 03:38AM

A bit too optimistic. Now again this evening we're back to accessing everything else except wordpress, and I am spending more (all) time troubleshooting servers than developing sites. So, unless anyone can direct me elsewhere, off comes Apache and on goes MS. Am doing C# work now so I suppose that environment is interfering with Apache? But downtime is becoming a trend.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: January 13, 2014 11:32AM

Langerd,

All web servers run on port 80 by default. So if you have IIS running that will have captured port 80 before you can start Apache.

If you want to run both you will have to stop IIS and potentially some other bits associated with IIS and SQL Server

These I know about, but there may be others that also use port 80.
1. IIS
2. Web Deploy 2.0
3. MS Sql Server Reporting service.

Stopping these should allow you to start the WAMP Stack Apache/MySQL etc.

If you want to move Apache to another port number i.e. 8080 tends to be the norm, you can then run IIS and Apache together ( no port conflict ). You will find WordPress works better if you install it using 8080 or which ever port you decide to change Apache to.
Also if you setup a 'virtual host' for the wordpress site to run in that also makes it easier to manage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: January 15, 2014 08:42AM

Ok. I appreciate the response. Will give wamp another shot, but I tried other ports and they would work for awhile then stop suddenly.

I was going into TM resource monitor to turn things off but cant always guarantee that will work, and seems archaic.

Yes, I have all three installed of that list.

Decided to havee ubuntu set up on a dual boot as a workaround, but it hasn;t really impressed me much. /whine

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.