WAMP installation
Posted by: rkevinburton (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 14, 2013 09:09PM

I recently installed WAMP now I am not sure what to do. First localhost/phpmyadmin results in an undefined address and localhost gives me an IIS7 icon. I have stopped IIS7 but that doesn't seem to help. How do I get localhost to go to c:/wamp/www ? The icon is orange and the hosts file has 127.0.0.1 localhost. I am running Windows 7. The WAMP version is 2.4.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2013 09:14PM by rkevinburton.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAMP installation
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: December 15, 2013 02:04PM

Ok so that means your system has Microsoft IIS installed, they are doing that on later versions of Windows for some reason. If you are not intending to use it you can uninstall it, it is not an integral part of windows so its being uninstalled wont effect normal operations of windows, and if you need to install it again later, it comes as part of the standard OS so you wont need to do anything perticularly clever.

So go to Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features
Click the 'Turn windows features on and off' link in the left hand menu.
Wait for the list to load and then find 'Internet Information Services'

Un check the check boxes for the following items ( you may not see all of them )

1. IIS
2. Web Deploy 2.0
3. MS Sql Server Reporting service.

List of possible service names
http://blogs.technet.com/b/fort_sql/archive/2010/05/31/list-of-sql-server-service-names.aspx

Tutorial on how to find what ports are in use on your system and what app is using them
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bgroth/archive/2004/11/11/256190.aspx

Windows will then have a think for a while and then remove those applications, you will probably be asked to reboot to complete the uninstalls.
Reboot anyway when the uninstalls are complete.

Then try wamp again.

Alternativeley just disable it.

Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

Find IIS in the list of services.
Left Click that line and select Properties
Change the 'Startup Type' to disabled.

You may need to tdo this to MS Sql Server Reporting as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: December 15, 2013 02:45PM

Thank you.

I still must need to uninstall something or turn something off. I turned off IIS and rebooted. Then I started the WAMP server and tried to install Apache as a service but received this error:

Your port 80 is actually used by :

Server: Microsoft-HTTPAPI/2.0

Cannot install the Apache service, please stop this application and try again.

Press Enter to exit...

Now what should I uninstall/turn off?

Date: December 15, 2013 09:56PM

I stopped a Web Deploy service as well as a SQL Reporting service and now my 'W' is green. I am not sure which portion of Windows features I need to turn off to get the same effect. I can successfully show the 'home' page but going to phpmyadmin just seems to show a blank page with the cursor spinning 'forever'. What part of MySQL is not working now do you think? Is there another portion of Windows that I need to turn off?

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: December 16, 2013 01:24AM

Look at the mysql error log, the apache error log and the php error log for clues.

Also check the Windows event log for messages from Apache or MySQL

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.