Wordpress Problem
Posted by: bobchatelle (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2016 01:57PM

I am brand new to wamp. I have a web site that I have worked on remotely for years. I decided to try maintaining the site locally.

I installed wamp and wordpress successfully. I then imported my pages, post, theme, and tables from the remote site.

When I bring up the site I have a navigation problem. At the remote site, a page (say pageX) will reside at mysite/pageX.

At my local site this page for some reason I don't understand resides at mysite/index.php/pageX.

I have no idea where this index.php directory came from or how to get rid of it.

-Bob Chatelle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wordpress Problem
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: February 01, 2016 02:06PM

Hi Bob,

I suggest you read the Wordpress codex for Moving a Wordpress site

Also I would STRONGLY recommend that you start by creating a Virtual Host to run any wordpress site in as this clears up a number of issues around the [Where does stuff live] area

Here is a post describing why a VH is a good idea and also how to go about setting them up in Apache

Oh and the `index.php` bit is actually there all the time, its the WP loader but a .htaccess file normally makes it invisible to users, so you have better check for the existance of the `.htaccess file on the live server. Again this will all work SO MUCH BETTER if you take a few minutes to create a Virtual Host.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: February 01, 2016 09:40PM

I have moved many wordpress sites before. Nevertheless, I checked the codex and I could see nothing I had done wrong. I did create the virtual host. But the problem remains:

On the remote server pages show up as mysite/mypage but on the local server they show up as mysite/index.php/mypage. Navigation doesn't work on the local site.

-Bob

Date: February 01, 2016 09:46PM

I should ha ve added that I also checked out the .htaccess code. The wordpress code is identical between the remote and the local version.

-Bob

Date: February 02, 2016 12:03AM

So you have not changed the domain name in WordPress?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: February 02, 2016 04:01AM

I'm not sure I understand your question. On the remote server I have installed wordpress in the directory mydomain.com/_donors. (There is another wordpress installation in mydomain.com.) But the one in mydomain.com/_donors is the one I want to work on locally.

-Bob

Date: February 02, 2016 11:06AM

Hi Bob,

I am afraid there are no WP experts here, our role is to help get people over the initial hump of getting Apache/MySQL up and running.

You seem to have more experience then us in WP.

Have you created the VHost to mimic mydomain.com i.e. mydomain.dev
Have you then placed your copy site in a subfolder of mydomain.dev 's DocumentRoot (as in live site)
Have you then created the database in MYSQL and copied the live equivalent into it
Have you been through the database and amended al references to mydomain.com/_donors to mydomain.dev/_donors
Have you looked at the .htaccess to make sure it still makes sense in this newly named environment
Have you checked any themes/addons/etc also understand the new domain name.
Have you checked that mod_rewrite is activated in Apache

Have you checked the Apache log, for clues to any issues
Have you checked the PHP error log for clues to any issues
Have to checked any logs that WP may create for you

Date: February 02, 2016 01:29PM

Actually, as this is almost certainly a wordpress problem, I probably should have asked my question in a wordpress forum.

I want to experiment a bit with ,y wordpress settings first to see what I can find out.

Thanks,
Bob

Date: February 02, 2016 02:24PM

I found the solution. And it seems to be a fairly common problem among people who install wordpress with wamp.

For the benefit of other newbies, here is the solution that worked for me:

[www.wpbeginner.com]

Date: February 02, 2016 03:16PM

Glad you got to the bottom of this, and thanks for letting us know what it was you had to do to get it working. I will file this away for the next time.

But I have to mention, this question I asked for you to check!

Have you checked that mod_rewrite is activated in Apache

Just a final point, its not really a problem that mod_rewrite is not configured to be on in WAMPServer Apache. The Apache config is released, pretty much as Apache release it.

There is an unfortunate perception amoungst lots of software users, and lots of WAMPServer users specifically, that, it should just work out of the box it being anything they download for any purpose.

However Apache and MySQL are not trivial pieces of software, they a complex industrial strength pieces of normally server based software, with 100's of parametrs to control 1000's of possible configurations to suit 100.000 of users requirement.

You should not install either Apache or MYSQL and just expect it to work out of the box, for your specific situation.

WampServer takes a lot of the heavy lifting out of getting an AMP stack running on Windows, however it is not the end of your learning curve. On the contrary, it is the beginning of a HUGH new learning curve.
One that many would not be able to even embark upon without the help of WAMPServer.

I am not pointing these comment's specifically at you, so please dont take offence.

Regards
Two of Two

That is 1 of the 2 people that support WAMPServer, Otomatic being the other, in their own time and for no payment or benefit Sometimes I feel the need to remind people of this fact!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 03:19PM by RiggsFolly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.