Switching between development and production servers
Posted by: WAMPLE (---.AirBears.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: September 11, 2013 11:14PM

How can I switch between development and production servers in WAMP? And how can I configure the settings on the development server - for example, making it NOT display the errors in PHP.

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Switching between development and production servers
Posted by: WAMPLE (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 12, 2013 07:52PM

Nobody knows? :/

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: September 12, 2013 08:37PM

No, nobody understands exactly what you are trying to do. Please be a little more descriptive.

Date: September 12, 2013 09:37PM

I am trying to change WAMP so that it does not display the PHP errors when I load a php page.

I looked at the php.ini file, and I see that it doesn't display errors when it is in "production," but displays them when PHP is in "development". I have no idea what that means (I am a newbie), but I assume my server is currently in "development" because it displays the errors/notices when I load a php page via localhost. Therefore, I want to switch to "production" so PHP no longer displays those error messages when I load a web page.

Date: September 12, 2013 09:44PM

No, there is not Production and Development modes.

The info you are looking at means on your Production Server these are the recommended values, and on your Development server these are the suggested values.

If you have error messages, you should really 'fix the errors' and not just hide them

Date: September 12, 2013 09:57PM

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

So you're saying that the "production = value"s and "development = value"s on the php.ini actually don't do anything (they're only suggestions?)? How would I aquire another server? Start two WAMPs simultaneously?

Lastly, the error messages aren't really error messages. They're all orange notice messages, for example: "Notice: Undefined variable: THG in C:\wamp\www\stats.php on line 6" - I want to get rid of them so it doesn't show up on the webpage when it loads (the php scrip runs just fine, it's just these notices).

Is there any documentation I can read so I can understand WAMP better?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2013 09:58PM by WAMPLE.

Date: September 12, 2013 10:11PM

What do you mean by a Production and Development server.

Are you considering opening your site up to the internet?

If so, and you want to have 2 copies of your site, one LIVE and one for testing changes before copying them live then you really should be using Virtual Hosts.
This would allow you to serve 1 sites to the world and have one only available locally on the PC running WAMP using one Apache web server.

Either way it would appear you need to know a lot more about Apache, MySQL and PHP than you currently do, to do this safely and securely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2013 10:11PM by RiggsFolly.

Date: September 12, 2013 10:14PM

I see; so the production server is used to display your website publicly, while the development is used for testing.

Thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.