Access phpMyAdmin remotely with password protection.
Posted by: Minecraft1415926 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 22, 2013 02:47PM

I installed my WampServer and I setup Apache to listen on port 8080. I setup the folder permissions so the WampServer can be accessed from any computer. I currently have phpMyAdmin setup so that only localhost and 127.0.0.1 can access it. What I want is to be able to access phpMyAdmin from any address but require a password. When I set phpMyAdmin to allow from all, I can connect to phpMyAdmin from any computer but it immediately gives access to all the databases and everything without asking for login and password. I want to be able to have access from anywhere but require a login and password for security so only I can manage my databases. Does anyone know how to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Access phpMyAdmin remotely with password protection.
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: June 23, 2013 04:23PM

Change D:\wamp\apps\phpmyadmin3.5.1\config.inc.php to this

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['verbose'] = 'localhost';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'localhost';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['port'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['socket'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type'] = 'tcp';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension'] = 'mysqli';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'http';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPassword'] = false;

This will cause the browser to throw a Userid/password challenge dialog

You can then use any valid MySQL userid/password to login to phpmyadmin

Make sure that the Userid you want to use is allowed to login from any remote IPAddress.
Also make sure that the password is not easily hackable. Make it a very strong password. Make it a phrase rather than a word and use special characters like !@$%& for example

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.