wampserver stays orange
Posted by: Sjonnies156 (---.cm-12-3a.dynamic.ziggo.nl)
Date: May 23, 2013 06:21PM

Hi, i am new to Wamp en have Concrete5 running with it.
It was al working fine until i wanted / needed to set up my password in the Mysql
i followed a link by YouTube - ( [www.youtube.com]) but halfway i got stocked.
After that i read another topic about setting your password and did in CMD a IPCONFIG.
After that it blocked all the connection with wampserver.
I have tried many thing - ex. Host file _ httpdconfig etc etc.
tested port 80 is ok - only wampserver.
it stays yellow.
and i got an error 2002

i am running:
win8 - 64bit
Apache 2.2.22 –
Mysql 5.5.24 –
PHP 5.3.13 XDebug 2.1.2 XDC 1.5 PhpMyadmin 3.4.10.1 SQLBuddy 1.3.3 webGrind 1.0

Please, if you need more info - ask me, cos i don;t want to make another install ( that was hard enough with Concrete5)

thank in advance

btw i got Teamwiever if anybody is interested.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2013 06:29PM by Sjonnies156.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wampserver stays orange
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: May 23, 2013 10:10PM

1. MySQL is delivered in a default state, in this state it only has one User defined, that user is 'root' and it has No password defined. It looks like there are actually 3 'root' users when you view users with phpMyAdmin, but its actually one user that is allowed to login from 3 locations i.e. ip address's localhost, 127.0.0.1 and ::1 and localhost.

2. It is very insecure to leave it in that state as everybody knows what your superuser accounts userid and password is, so people use phpMyAdmin to change one or hopefully all the 3 'root' users password.

This all goes smoothly until they try to go back to phpMyAdmin to create there first database. Now they cannot get in as the root user has a password but they have forgotten to tell the phpMyAdmin application what that new password is.

phpMyAdmin is in fact just a php application. In order for it to gain access to the mysql system it needs a userid and password. It is configured by default to expect the default state of mysql i.e. a user account called 'root' with no password.

So what you have to do is edit the phpMyAdmin config file to inform it what the new password is. To do this you edit c:\wamp\apps\phpmyadmin3.x.y\config.inc.php

The normal instruction is to change these parameters like this:
This says the userid to use is 'root', there is no password, and you are aloowed to use a userid without a password
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'root';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPassword'] = true;

To:
This says the userid is 'root', the password is 'whatever you created as a password', and stops phpMyAdmin allowing the user of userids with no password.
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'root';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'your new password';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPassword'] = false;

My personal preference is to use these parameters instead:

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'http';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPassword'] = false;

This makes phpMyAdmin throw a userid/password challenge dialog every time you try to login.
You would use root as the userid and 'the password you setup' as the password.

I think this is even more secure as even if someone has access to your PC they cannot edit this file to see your super user password, as it is not actually recorded. It does mean you have to rememer it as once forgotten you are into a whole heep of hassle to get back into mysql.

Re: wampserver stays orange
Posted by: Sjonnies156 (---.cm-12-3a.dynamic.ziggo.nl)
Date: May 25, 2013 07:32AM

thx for the reply, but Stevenmartin has helped me all the way.

It seems it is working right now very well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.